Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a problem I'm hoping someone may have some info about.

We have a 2011 Compass, my wife's purse was stolen and she had her key. Now whoever took the purse has the key and our address and her work address.

Question is can the car be reprogrammed so the key will no longer work?

Would it be better to change the locks and ignition?

My dealer has been little to no help.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you go to a dealer they can erase all programmed keys from the cars WIN and reprogram your original existing keys plus any others you buy to replace the missing key. It renders to missing key useless. The key is not cheap but the programming cost isn’t bad. A thief could possibly enter the car but could not start it. I would check with a locksmith ( before visiting the dealer) to see what they could do about the doors and ign tumbler. (Recode them) and cut new keys to match.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,145 Posts
What Hitze01 says is true, the Dealer should have told you he can do that, so you might want to find another Dealer to do the job, since this last one is clearly not one of the better dealerships.

If a Locksmith has the tools to do it, many do not, he will need the 4 digit PIN for the vehicle. I've been told its printed on the window sticker, if you have that, or find the tool to download a copy of it from FCA, otherwise you'll have to ask the dealer to find the PIN for you and give it to you. Last time I tried, Chrysler Customer Service nor my local dealer would not give it to me. (that was years ago though).

I've rekeyed lock cylinders and ignition switches myself, its not a job for a beginner and it will need the very hard to find tumbler/gates for the cylinders. So you can ask a locksmith how much he would charge for that. You may need to get a new ignition switch to rekey it, some of them come apart easily to be rekeyed, and others do not and just won't be the same if you force it apart and try to put it together. A lot of the lock cylinders require special pieces for rekeying, like door locks sometimes have a metal cap crimped over it, that you have to cut off to get inside it, then you'll need a service cap to replace it after putting it back together, designed to use a hammer and punch to crimp it back over the cylinder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts