Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My main fob has finally worn out after 6 years. It lets me in and lets me drive but the buttons no longer work despite replacing the battery. The secondary fob works perfectly. Has anyone had to replace their fob? Is there any option other than to put oneself at the mercy of the stealers?

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,629 Posts
My main fob has finally worn out after 6 years. It lets me in and lets me drive but the buttons no longer work despite replacing the battery. The secondary fob works perfectly. Has anyone had to replace their fob? Is there any option other than to put oneself at the mercy of the stealers?
Stealership they have to program it into the SKIM module etc.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Axcess Locksmiths on Sunnyholt Rd Blacktown are worth a try Bob. They supplied a key for my Alfa, codes and all.

I also managed to get an aftermarket key for my cheapy BMW that my daughter is learning to drive in. It was a mobile guy and cost about $300. I could find the name of the mobile guy if you wanted. Let me know. BMW and Alfa will tell you that you cannot get aftermarket keys coded, but it 'ain't true.

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Reactions: BobT

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hopped into the Jeep yesterday with both fobs in my pocket to head over to the Jeep dealer in Waitara to see what they could offer. The car wouldn't start. The first time in 6 years. It still had the original battery which is now 6 years old. Thought that might be the problem so decided to get a new one since we were going to head bush shortly. NRMA installed the battery. The car still wouldn't start. NRMA roadside assist came out but could do nothing. The scanner said there was no communication with the CPU. Got the car towed to the Jeep dealer in Waitara. Incidentally, they have just changed hands. It was Suttons but was bought by McCarroll's and is now called Hornsby Jeep & Chrysler. They changed hands in February. The staff stayed so there is some Jeep expertise. However, Suttons took the Jeep diagnostic equipment with them and FCA haven't supplied Hornsby Jeep with new equipment. Hornsby Jeep couldn't do anything other that put a generic scanner on it and came up with the same result as NRMA. Have arranged for another tow from Waitara to Castle Hill Jeep who supposedly have the Jeep diagnostic tools. This has all the makings of a long drawn out and very expensive saga.:violin::banghead:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hope it gets resolved quickly Bob....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yea , this is one of those issues that leave you totally helpless unless you have proprietary tools. Not much you can do but go with the flow.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
How can dealer ownership change and the diagnostic gear be taken away? A change of ownership would have been in the pipeline for months. McCarrolls are an existing FCA dealer - I assume they would know who to give a phone call...

·
Premium Member
MY12 JGC Overland
872 Posts
How can dealer ownership change and the diagnostic gear be taken away? A change of ownership would have been in the pipeline for months. McCarrolls are an existing FCA dealer - I assume they would know who to give a phone call...

My thoughts exactly. Must be a Jeep Australia thing..... No one at HQ cares.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Suttons are not known for playing nice. Nevertheless, I gave FCA a huge blast. I'll give them a chance to respond then might let NRMA know what's going on.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hopped into the Jeep yesterday with both fobs in my pocket to head over to the Jeep dealer in Waitara to see what they could offer. The car wouldn't start. The first time in 6 years. It still had the original battery which is now 6 years old. Thought that might be the problem so decided to get a new one since we were going to head bush shortly. NRMA installed the battery. The car still wouldn't start. NRMA roadside assist came out but could do nothing. The scanner said there was no communication with the CPU. Got the car towed to the Jeep dealer in Waitara. Incidentally, they have just changed hands. It was Suttons but was bought by McCarroll's and is now called Hornsby Jeep & Chrysler. They changed hands in February. The staff stayed so there is some Jeep expertise. However, Suttons took the Jeep diagnostic equipment with them and FCA haven't supplied Hornsby Jeep with new equipment. Hornsby Jeep couldn't do anything other that put a generic scanner on it and came up with the same result as NRMA. Have arranged for another tow from Waitara to Castle Hill Jeep who supposedly have the Jeep diagnostic tools. This has all the makings of a long drawn out and very expensive saga.:violin::banghead:
Got the car back today. All good, except the fob. Still haven't got the fob replaced. That's another job. Anyway, Castle Hill Jeep did a great job. They put a scanner on the car, no codes but determined no power to the ECU. That was a bit different to the NRMA and Hornsby Jeep who determined no communication to the ECU. Of course there was no communication if it had no power. The fault was traced to a faulty "power up" relay. My understanding is that this relay is activated by the ignition button and provides power to all the other systems. The relay was replaced and while they were at it they did the T59 recall. Total cost $374.75. Can't complain about that. Thumbs up for Castle Hill Jeep.

Seems to me that if the car can be totally disabled by this relatively minor fault, this would be handy relay to have as a spare. The part number 04671886AA. There are four of these (grey) in the relay box behind the air cleaner plenum, see the pic. The bottom right grey relay appears newer so I'm guessing this was the one replaced but I have no idea if there are others lurking elsewhere in the car.

Attachments

Reactions: Barboots

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Bob, what if you take the local Jeep dealerships, will they replace it for a lower cost?
You mean to replace the faulty fob? Yes, that's what I intend to do tomorrow. Apparently you need to have all the fobs and the car together so they can scan them all together. Hopefully they will have the gear to do it. However, being a Jeep dealership, I certainly don't expect it to be cheap.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bob you might try to chase up 67HR - think he is a member here - certainly is over on the caravan forum.
He is a retired locksmith I think in Perth, and I have seen a number of key fob discussions he has provided useful info.
Good luck
John

Reactions: 67HR

·
Registered
Grand CherokeeLaredo
408 Posts
You mean to replace the faulty fob? Yes, that's what I intend to do tomorrow. Apparently you need to have all the fobs and the car together so they can scan them all together. Hopefully they will have the gear to do it. However, being a Jeep dealership, I certainly don't expect it to be cheap.
Hi Bob, sorry haven't been on for a while and have missed this thread.
Is your Fobik (fob) the egg shape one with the square bottom?
If so, when you vehicle wouldn't start did you try and pop out the start button and put your Fobik into the housing and turn it like a normal key?
This will show you how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6Y0c-mmzI

In your case it sounds like the ESL (electronic steering lock) relay may have failed thus preventing a start.
We lost our dealership in Albany because FCA wanted a showroom update and the dealer said they couldn't justify it for the sales they had.
They are still doing service & warranty though.
Hope this helps
Trev

PS: I get called into help out at my old business and today whilst there I quoted a Lady on a spare Fobik for her 2012. A/M but around $380 supplied and programmed.

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Bob, sorry haven't been on for a while and have missed this thread.
Is your Fobik (fob) the egg shape one with the square bottom?
If so, when you vehicle wouldn't start did you try and pop out the start button and put your Fobik into the housing and turn it like a normal key?
This will show you how to do it.In your case it sounds like the ESL (electronic steering lock) relay may have failed thus preventing a start.
We lost our dealership in Albany because FCA wanted a showroom update and the dealer said they couldn't justify it for the sales they had.
They are still doing service & warranty though.
Hope this helps
Trev

PS: I get called into help out at my old business and today whilst there I quoted a Lady on a spare Fobik for her 2012. A/M but around $380 supplied and programmed.
Yes it was the first thing I tried. It made no difference. As I mentioned above, the problem turned out to be a faulty power-up relay under the bonnet. The ignition switch, whether by pressing or turning, triggers the power up relay which then supplies power to all other systems. In fact you could hear the relay clicking, it just didn't make contact. It was hard to determine where the clicking was coming from because there were relays clicking all over the place, even the doors, when pressing the ignition button. The NRMA guy thought the clicking was the starter motor solenoid but he could find where it was. In the old days one would give a sticky starter solenoid a tap with a hammer to get it working.

Reactions: 67HR

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
Bob. You should have tried using a hammer on the relay. lol

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Bob. You should have tried using a hammer on the relay. lol
Don't laugh! A little tap or wiggle of the relay might have been all that was required to get me mobile if I'd known. Actually, I like to go over the fuses now and again and give them a push in case they have started to work their way out. I need to think to do the same to the relays. Actually I'd like to pull them out and in again so that the contacts get wiped but I'm afraid the system will spit the dummy again.

A funny thing, you know how the dash says to press the "brake" pedal to start the car? When the car wouldn't start because of the faulty fuse, it said to press the "clutch" pedal :lol: Go figure! It may have been more useful if it had said I had a faulty fuse.

·
Premium Member
GC Overland
2,466 Posts
Damn. Now you got me looking for the Clutch pedal. I actually never use it, and that is why I never actually noticed it missing. Is it in the tailgate, or maybe behind that problematic brake booster?

·
Premium Member
Jeep Grand Cherokee
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn. Now you got me looking for the Clutch pedal. I actually never use it, and that is why I never actually noticed it missing. Is it in the tailgate, or maybe behind that problematic brake booster?
It's probably that funny looking thing next to the transmission tunnel. I've been using it for a hand brake but it doesn't seem to do much. :)

Reactions: allypally
1 - 19 of 19 Posts