Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
LimiteGrand Cherokee
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious for those who have a Laredo 4x4 or know about them. Are they actually 4x4 or AWD? I noticed this trim level does not have a transfer case switch like the other trim levels do.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
The standard system is AWD and has no switches or levers. The upgraded system has a knob on the console, which allows you to select different modes and Leo range. My Laredo included that QTII transfer case with the All Weather Off Road Package.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
They are full time 4x4 even if they have the base QT-1 drivetrain.While many folks feel that makes it "just" AWD, in many cases, QT-1 remains more capable than many AWD systems because of the intelligence that combines the drivetrain with the braking system for very good traction control. What it doesn't have is low-range. The other selectable settings that come with QT-II offer the convenience if getting closer to more optimal setups for certain kinds of conditions, of course. QT-II is available on the "Upland" edition of the Laredo for MY20.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Laredo has the base AWD QT1 system. I’m not sure if it’s full time 4x4. My ZJ has a 241 transfer case with full time 4x4 and it seems much closer to part time, meaning it can sometimes bind and buck a little. The WK2 feels more like my AWD Golf R where you never really realize it’s AWD until you need it. Overall, the QTI system is great in snow and fine for moderate off road. I don’t think I’d want to get too deep off-roading the WK2 platform just because of damage, so the QT1 takes me to the comfort limit.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
You can read about the 3 different 4WD systems at this link:

It seems a lot of JeepGarage posters have an obsession with TrimLevels. I swear some posts, it seems folks believe a Jeep Grand Cherokee of a different trim level is a whole other model of vehicle.... ....its not, its the same model with different basic equipment and option packages.

I have a Laredo with the HEMI and QTII, do you really think a High Altitude with RWD is more off road capable than my Laredo? This is the confusion you are creating by obsessing over a Trim Level of the vehicles... ....There is no confusion when you stick to the equipment....

So you should be asking, what is the off-road capability of QTI equipped WK2's vs QTII equipped WK2's...

4WD, 4X4, AWD are marketing terms, they are misused all the time, and there is a lot of smack talkers that have their own opinion of what is good or bad insisting their opinion is fact....

Technically 4X4 is no differential in the XFR case so both front and rear axles turn at the same speed, or at least a mode to lock the differential in the XFR case for a 4X4 mode.
But you'll see 4X4 advertised and/or placarded on all sorts of vehicles that have no such capability..... ...because the industry turned it into a Marketing Term....

IMO, QTI is 4WD, because it is designed for off-road and has equal, or very, very close to equal power to each wheel, it is a less capable 4WD, because it has a single speed XFR Case that has no ability lock the center differential, i.e. no 4X4 or Part Time 4WD and thus would disqualify for trail rated....

In some folks opinion, that makes it AWD....

Porsche's and mini-vans that have power to all 4 wheels, but different power levels to different wheels, designed for on-road use, that IMO is AWD....

Some people are going to insist, if it doesn't have modes to go into 4LOW or lock the center differential to go into Part Time 4WD or 4X4 mode, then its AWD. Their opinion is no better than mine, but opinions are going to vary....

QTII, that has been an option or standard equipment on all trim levels (for most years, if not all) is a more capable 4WD and since it uses a 2 speed XFR Case with a clutch in it that can lock the front/rear driveshafts at the same speed (i.e. 4LOW and 4X4 or Part Time 4WD) it qualifies for the Trail Rating....

QDII is QTII with a rear differential that is an ELSD.... That is standard or optional equipment on a few trim levels of WK2's, and does increase off-road ability....

BTW, the Trail Rating is far more than just the 4WD system...

And finally, Off road ability is far more than just the 4WD system of the vehicle..... ....it is size/proportions/track/wheelbase, weight distribution, chassis strength and stiffness, geometry of the chassis/suspension/wheels/tires, affecting Ground Clearance/Approach/Departure/Break-Over Angles, the QL Suspension having the ability to increase ride height to improve those angles..... ....and the most overlooked it seems here at Jeep Garage, is the suspension and its Wheel Travel (that is probably the biggest single factor of all).... Which with the exception of QL, all WK2's have the same in this regard.....

You do know there are RWD Jeeps that will outdo some 4WD vehicles off-road, that is because of all those factors I list, especially the suspension, that particular 2WD Jeep is better than the other vehicle with 4WD.... ....off-roading is a lot more than just a good drivetrain to get power to all 4 wheels.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Im curious for those who have a Laredo 4x4 or know about them. Are they actually 4x4 or AWD? I noticed this trim level does not have a transfer case switch like the other trim levels do.
I've owned two Laredo's, a '14 and a '19 and both have QTII which is a true 4wd system. The base Laredo is not available with QTII but the Laredo E model is, as part of the All Weather Trail Rated Package.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
I've owned two Laredo's, a '14 and a '19 and both have QTII which is a true 4wd system. The base Laredo is not available with QTII but the Laredo E model is, as part of the All Weather Trail Rated Package.
You no doubt have the More Capable 4WD system....
Were the argument starts is if being a less capable 4WD system, makes it AWD?
I say no, others will insist yes....
Since the Industry has turned 4x4, 4WD and AWD into marketing terms, how you define it becomes a matter of opinion.

Look up the Castrol Syntec and the debut of Grp III Synthetic Oil, after Castrol won the lawsuit brought by their competition, that declared "Synthetic" is just a Marketing Term. Castrol stuck their finger in the eye of their competitors and changed their labeling to say it is "True Synthetic". "True" has become a marketing terms as well. So a "True" 4WD System is a matter of opinion as well.

BTW, for others, QDII is just QTII with the addition of a rear ELSD. So everyone is going to argue about how only QDII is the only true 4WD system, its just QTII with a rear ELSD. That ELSD does add significant capability, but its doesn't make it an entirely different 4WD system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You no doubt have the More Capable 4WD system....
Were the argument starts is if being a less capable 4WD system, makes it AWD?
I say no, others will insist yes....
Since the Industry has turned 4x4, 4WD and AWD into marketing terms, how you define it becomes a matter of opinion.

Look up the Castrol Syntec and the debut of Grp III Synthetic Oil, after Castrol won the lawsuit brought by their competition, that declared "Synthetic" is just a Marketing Term. Castrol stuck their finger in the eye of their competitors and changed their labeling to say it is "True Synthetic". "True" has become a marketing terms as well. So a "True" 4WD System is a matter of opinion as well.

BTW, for others, QDII is just QTII with the addition of a rear ELSD. So everyone is going to argue about how only QDII is the only true 4WD system, its just QTII with a rear ELSD. That ELSD does add significant capability, but its doesn't make it an entirely different 4WD system.
I agree that manufacturers have muddied the water in their definition of systems. My personal definition is that 4WD systems are separated from AWD systems by the inclusion of a locking transfer case that locks in the torque split between front and rear axles, and lowers the drive ratio for better control off-road. To me this is an essential component of a true 4wd system because imo it significantly improves off-road capability, and traditionally has been an inherent element of "4WD" systems. On this basis, my GC in high range is operating as an AWD system, in low range it's operating as a 4WD system.

·
Registered
LimiteGrand Cherokee
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, just doing some research for when I upgrade my 14' Limited RWD. I'd like something that can handle better all the rain we have here in Louisiana and occasional light off road fun.

Also, I noticed the back of my jeep "slides" when going over bumps esp in a curve. Anyone else have this issue? I thought it might have been those sub par Goodyear Wrangler tires, but have since replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler.

·
Super Moderator
8,226 Posts
4WD/AWD is very, very helpful in wet weather. As to your question, get your vehicle checked. It could be shocks based on your description.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,779 Posts
Also, I noticed the back of my jeep "slides" when going over bumps esp in a curve. Anyone else have this issue? I thought it might have been those sub par Goodyear Wrangler tires, but have since replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler.
"Slides" as in, the rear tires loose traction and your vehicle oversteers? Or you feel something abrupt in the rear?

And it does this on every turn/curve when you hit a bump? Or only in extremes, either in bad weather or taking turns/curves extremely fast?

You make it sound like it happens when you're not on a curve, do you experience this driving straight and go over a bump?

You might have the rear wheels out of alignment, or like Jim suggested the shocks might be bad or both.....

Remember, if you take a turn to fast or too fast for a wet road, and would oversteer, the ESC/ESP activates and will use ABS to apply brakes to one wheel to pull the vehicle straight again and prevent the oversteer.... ....this feels abrupt, but it isn't a slide, it might fool into thinking its a slide because it often pulls the rear back toward straight, some might misinterpret that.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think your rear end slides inherently in a rwd vehicle. Especially with some gas around corners. AWD is pretty hard to slide out, you need to be on ice or snow to get it to break. Then it’s all four wheels sliding. QT1 Laredo is excellent in rain or snow. For moderate off road I’d personally go for a $5,000 XJ or ZJ to beat on, but the WK2 is definitely a capable vehicle with some very nice sheet metal and paint.

·
Registered
LimiteGrand Cherokee
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can feel the back end slide a bit, like the backend is light and I can feel it slide. This happens at highway speeds. My next vehicle may definitely be a Ladredo "4x4"from a 2wd Limited that I have now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts