Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 27.3%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering new front brakes for my srt (rear brakes have plenty of life still, only 12k miles on the whole car). I have seen a lot of recommendations on the Wagner Thermoquiets in the past, but I am now starting to see recommendations for the PowerStop Z23 pads. I'm looking for less dust, but I don't want to lose too much of the initial bite I get with the stock pads. I am going with DBA 4000 series rotors.

So, what's your preference and why? Something else I am missing?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I just put the Z23 pads on my '14 GC SRT with 21,000 miles on it. The Brembo take offs showed almost no wear in spite of the massive amount of black dust that they put out. The new pads go on without pulling the calipers, about a 30 minute job once the wheels are off and cleaned up. No downside to them that I can see. Bed them in per instructions, and no more brake dust. Should have done it to my Hellcat.

Reactions: Kegs

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just put the Z23 pads on my '14 GC SRT with 21,000 miles on it. The Brembo take offs showed almost no wear in spite of the massive amount of black dust that they put out. The new pads go on without pulling the calipers, about a 30 minute job once the wheels are off and cleaned up. No downside to them that I can see. Bed them in per instructions, and no more brake dust. Should have done it to my Hellcat.
how it the initial bite in cold weather?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
how it the initial bite in cold weather?
Couldn't tell ya. I'm in Arizona, hasn't been below 70 since I put them on. :lol:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
just changed mine to Z23' Power Stops couldn't deal with the mess .
I have a white car and the brake dirt was all over the side of the car .
Unless you plan to track the car they are absolutely great.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep GC SRT
8 Posts
Got my car at the Dealer now and they are saying to change the pads and rotors. They say I "should" change the rotors. $2,400 to do the front brakes(rotors and pads). I have 33k on the vehicle. Do I really need to change the rotors? They tell me everything looks fine for now because the pads still have some more life to them. I have a 16' SRT.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Got my car at the Dealer now and they are saying to change the pads and rotors. They say I "should" change the rotors. $2,400 to do the front brakes(rotors and pads). I have 33k on the vehicle. Do I really need to change the rotors? They tell me everything looks fine for now because the pads still have some more life to them. I have a 16' SRT.
Did they also try to sell you a gas cap? Unless you are absolutely brutal on your brakes, @ 33k miles there should be no apparent wear on the rotors. If you are experiencing brake shudder while stopping, then yea. Otherwise, treat your car to a set of PowerStop Z23 pads and life will be great. You can change them without even pulling the calipers. No more Brembo dust!

·
Registered
SRT
127 Posts
Went with Wagner thermo Qs on 15k mile rotors. Beyond thrilled. Braking initial bite lost maybe 2 out of 10. This is a welcome effect as my wife sits very straight up in her seat and I watch her jerk forward with that first 1/4 inch of pedal travel and straight up hit the seat belt lock on 35% pedal travel. But braking force and feel is the same as the brembos plus my front wheels are still clean, 10 days rolling. Should have ripped those pads out DAY ONE.

·
Registered
49 Posts
$2,400 is outrageous. I just did my 14 this morning in about 2 hours. Cost me $197 from Rockauto.com for a pair of Bendix rotors, a pair of Wagner pads and new pad/caliper hardware. Sure I could have spent a lot more for big name rotors, but it's pretty easy to change these and mine's really just a daily driver. I will say that the new rotors along with new tires I did about a month ago have COMPLETELY eliminated all the wobble and vibration I was getting at highway speeds before (was probably about 50/50 between the two).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Roveurboat, do you have the 2-piece front rotors? That might be a big chunk of what the dealer is charging you. According to my dealer, they replace the entire rotor, not just the steel ring. You can find the rings from other sources or you could replace your 2-piece rotors with all steel ones to save a buck.

I have the 2-piece rotors on mine, but when it comes time to replace, I think I’m going with Racing Brake brand 2-piece rotors on all 4 corners, and their pads. The whole setup will cost about what the dealership is charging you for just the fronts.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep GC SRT
5 Posts
I went with the Z23 Power Stops with replacing front pads. I have not changed out the rear stock brembo pads yet. I have 29K on my '15 billet silver GC SRT. I bought the the vehicle used at 18K miles and replaced the front ones at around 22K. Bedded them per the instructions and have never had an issue. Less bite than stock but you really dont see much difference in stopping power on daily commute traffic. Maybe at extreme speeds but not for the daily driver imo. I learned about the front break wear when I went to have different wheels installed. The shop said I needed new brake pads and rotors... quote 1K blah blah. I purchased the pads jic a few weeks earlier. When installing I inspected the rotors and had no issues. The stock pads probably had another 3-5K of typical daily driving left. Glad I made the change very little dust. My rear brembos do not put out a ton of dust either ... I probably have another 10-15K remaining on those. I have the rear power stops in case I want to make the switch. Holding out on the rotor purchase and paying attention to the feedback on forums. I may stay stock on that if I can find them. I live in NC and have mild winters but it does stay below freezing a few days at time. I heard very little squeaking and didnt see much performance difference cold or warmed up. So thats my experience. I have also seen in other threads guys liking the Wagners a lot so in the end I dont think you could go wrong. It might depend on your driving style.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Piece of advice. Keep the stock pads for the rear and ONLY change pads for the front with powersport z23. Don't change rears because you will hear squeal noise after you bead them in, at hot/hummid temps. Rear don't produce dust anyways. I do have stock rotors all around, barely notice any difference with everyday use.

Stock rotors all around
Front - Z23 pads
Rear - Brembo (stock) pads

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Personally I would go with the full set of Z23 pads. I have zero noise from mine and zero brake dust. Perhaps you didn't bed them in correctly or aggressively enough? You have to get them really hot and stinking on that initial break in. Your actually cooking off the resins in them from manufacture.

·
Registered
2017 GC SRT
6 Posts
You might want to consider the Powerstop Z26 series. Better thermal rating and just slightly more cost than Z23. I did front and rears on my 16 PCP Challenger Hellcat and just the fronts on my 17 GC SRT.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep SRT 2018 Trackhawk
126 Posts
I have the Powerstop Z-26 pads.
Stopping power 95% like stock.
Don't even notice the difference.
No dust but they squeak in reverse in the cold.
Both front and back.

Couple of coats of the red

Disc Brake Quiet

took care of that :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just recently got new pads on my 15 srt, replaced nearly worn out front brembos at 11,700 miles with powerstops. I decided to get the z26 from others recommending them on here. Initial impressions are very good, i only got about 100 miles on them so far but the more i drive the better they seem to feel to me.
The bite like the brembos have isnt quite there but its still very good to me, just slightly more pedal travel. The best thing is, NO DUST. The front wheels finally look like the rears for a change, the rest of the jeep will stay cleaner longer too, those front brembo pads got dust all over the car, they were just bad.
So far, no noise from the z26 pads so right now id give them an A. Does anyone know if they tend to wear quicker than the brembo pads do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone put power stop Z2e brake pads on a 2018 SRT?
After ordering these pads from rock auto I ran into an issue with the alignment of the top slide pin? The hole on the inside pad top would not align with the caliper pin. The pin is hitting the pad not allowing it to be pushed thru. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
After ordering these pads from rock auto I ran into an issue with the alignment of the top slide pin? The hole on the inside pad top would not align with the caliper pin. The pin is hitting the pad not allowing it to be pushed thru. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I haven't heard about that. You probably got diff pads. Some pads are interchangeable and that's probably why you're having issues. Go with something that's more famous. Like Z23 or Z26 or stock Brembo pads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts