Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just noticed my 2015 WK2 is leaking a dark oil. I know it is not coolant since it is not red, and the water pump was replaced a few months ago (not because it leaked--bad bearings). It also is not engine oil because my engine oil is very clean. It could be power steering fluid, I cannot see an obvious leak at tank (level is normal), but based on where it appears to be coming from, that is the only thing I can think of--power steering fluid via CV boot, perhaps? And that could then explain why I have dealt with a VERY slow leak requiring a top off of power steering fluid every two years since I bought it brand new six years ago, without being able to find an actual link in that time.

What do you guys think? Power steering leak? I want to be fairly certain what it is before I schedule an appointment with dealer--I still have MaxCare, so hoping it is covered. I need to look up covered parts because they love to say something is not covered when it is...been there, done that nonsense!

Wood Jewellery Thumb Body jewelry Metal
Fluid Asphalt Pest Road surface Sand
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Wheel Tread
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,701 Posts
I don't clearly recall the color and consistency but the motor mounts have fluid in them and when they fail they leak. My recollection is that it looked somewhat like that stuff. If you put it in OR2 you should have enough room to get under it with a flashlight and find the motor mounts bolted to the side of the engine and look to see if fluid is dripping off the bottom them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at the boot, doesn't it seem odd that the lower half is darker than the upper half? It is not that way on the passenger side. I have not noticed anything unusual that would typically indicate motor mounts, but I only partly crawled under vehicle while it was in OR2 and I immediately noticed the odd coloring of CV boot.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
If you look at the boot, doesn't it seem odd that the lower half is darker than the upper half? It is not that way on the passenger side. I have not noticed anything unusual that would typically indicate motor mounts, but I only partly crawled under vehicle while it was in OR2 and I immediately noticed the odd coloring of CV boot.
Yes the coloring is odd but it's not a pattern you would expect from something leaking onto it or from something leaking out from inside it. Looks more like a difference in mold release compound or some other aspect of manufacture or storage. When my motor mount was bad the only thing I noticed was a very slight vibration at idle that went away if you turned the AC off as well as a very very slight additional engine vibration when the MDS kicked on. With the new mounts I could no longer feel when the MDS was on and the idle vibration was gone.

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,669 Posts
Yep when mine where bad when the a/c kicked on at idle there was much more vibration also had a clunk sometimes when i would let off gas

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Just realized... it's not the CV boot that has the odd coloring, it's the boot on the end of the steering rack. It's possible your steering rack has some amount of leaking into that boot. Can't tell from your photo exactly what's above what, the leak into that steering rack boot might be dripping out and down onto those other parts. The fact that it's discolored half way up might indicate it's half full of fluid. And unlike the CV joint which rotates and spreads any grease around, that rack boot never rotates, it's always in the exact same orientation.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another picture. I cannot tell if it is from the boot or if there is an engine mount above that point. I just find the coloring of the boot odd since passenger side isn't partially discolored.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Organism Hood Gas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts