Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm just new to the forum,obviously, don't know a lot about motors and just looking for advice about my Grand Cherokee 1999 WJ V8 4.7L. I've had the vehicle for around 10 years now and it's been very reliable and runs really well. However a while ago I developed a leak in in the head. I was told by my mechanic that this was the case and it's evidenced by the green stuff that leaks from the exhaust in the middle and out the back. He also indicated to me that it was bad news as far as far as repairs go. I have had several different quotes and they differ by up to around $2/3000. I understand that a lot of it depends on whether it's just the gasket or worst scenario, corrosion. The latter could be the case if it's an alloy head but I'm not sure about that just yet.
The most reasonable quote I received to repair it involved taking off the head(s) and putting in a gasket kit (?). The party that gave it to me said that the gasket was most likely the problem. Not that uncommon he said.
I've been putting the usual gunk in my radiator and it's still running ok but still loosing fluid. It's a beautiful machine and I know it's just a matter of time running it this way. I can't afford major repairs and was hoping I could get some helpful advice on what to do please? :confused:

·
The beast from Brazil
8,228 Posts
Welcome to the garage.
The engine was not overheated lately? Overheating will warp the heads and cause the headgaskets to leak.
If they just started to leak without any obvious reason, than the problem could be due to corrosion. The heads are made out of aluminum alloy and the block is cast iron, so the difference in material can give more possibility of corrosion. It can be the head gasket itself only.
But without removing the heads its difficult to know. If the heads are removed, it would be best to change the valve stem seals and do a valve job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yer, thanks for your advice Frango100. At the age of 18 years it is getting pretty old but as I said it runs well. I understand that it could be corrosion although I was hoping it wasn't. I've had it since 2009 and always kept up the services etc. It's never over heated but I've worked it pretty hard from time to time and the temperature does tend to climb a little under load in warm weather.
I'm really not in a financial position to do much and I was hoping a gasket would be all it needed which is not a cheap job anyway. I have a small run around car which is much cheaper to run but is not comfortable for my wife and we have to make some long trips from time to time for health reasons. She much prefers the comfort of the Jeep and I still use it when I'm collecting firewood.
Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
41 Posts
At about 124K miles my 2004 4.7HO Overland blew a head gasket as well. Only indication on mine was the check engine light came on intermittently. No overheating on mine and I was quite surprised that it happened in the middle of January. Antifreeze was plenty strong so it was not a freeze issue.

The two shops I had look at it, both the mechanics indicated that this is common with the 4.7 with age. When working on it they also found an issue with my timing chain that could have caused some serious issues. Mine ran $2600. The bill included both repairs. Make sure they check on that while they have it apart. Also you should have the heads machined, don't just have the gaskets replaced. I think the heads were around $2200 total for both sides with machining.

Worth the investment!

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts