Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues with replacement cooling system parts.
I’m on my third water pump and now my radiator is leaking. It’s been replaced 3 times already by dealer.
2015 summit with 5.7L. Only 66Kmiles
Dealer says it’s not their issue but Jeep replacement parts do I’ll have to pay. Also motor mount “is broken” Am I crazy but is this not acceptable rate of parts failure? My 2012 5.7l overland has had no such issues.

·
Registered
2017 GC Trailhawk
156 Posts
Is there a warranty on the parts? I don't think that's normal but I'm sure there is more information to be told to come to an accurate "diagnosis". Seems like something else is causing the failure of those parts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told by dealer that they have to use these radiators from Chrysler and that they are just not made well. I told them they need to get in touch with Jeep because I do not believe I should be paying for failure of part. This radiator is not warranties as it has been 2years and 3 months.
I complained that I could smell coolant after 6months but could not find leak. I’ve have been the one to find leak on others. I finally found it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,793 Posts
If you take it to the Dealer they will only use OEM parts and most will charge more for labor than many of the independent shops.
You can find a lot of posts on here for Radiator and Water Pump Failures, it seems to be a common problem for the WK2.
The motor mounts are also a common failure, because Jeep elected to go with hydraulic motor mounts and also plastic oil pans and intake manifolds, that greatly complicate the motor mount replacement.
Modern cars use radiators with aluminum cores and plastic end tanks, they do not last as long as the older all metal radiators. But it seems the WK2 Radiator last even shorter.

I've had all three of these fail on my 2011 WK2, but I replaced them with aftermarket myself, none of them have failed again since I replaced them.
I replaced the radiator myself for $105, the price of the radiator....
I replaced the water pump for $75, the price of the Water Pump and $20 for Zerex G-05 Coolant
I replaced my motor mounts for $50, I figured out a way to DIY without the expensive special tools and lift, but its risky and difficult, most DIY'ers wouldn't be up to the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the input
I looked at the motor mount replacement and thought it was a little too big of a job for me. Good to know about the radiator.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,021 Posts
I've had many cars with aluminum/plastic combo radiators and they far and away outlasted the radiators in any of the old vehicles I've had with all metal radiators. My 2003 Accord's original radiator is 17 years old and 190K of mileage and has no leaks. Whatever FCA is doing with these ones in the JGCs is either a bad design or crappy materials or terrible workmanship, there is no reason at all they should be failing at these low miles/times. Mine went out at 60K. I'd like to think they can at least pass the cost of these failures back onto their suppliers - any insiders know if it works that way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 1997 wrangler had original with no issues
2012 GC overland no issues
2015 coolant system has had nothing but issues?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,793 Posts
I've had many cars with aluminum/plastic combo radiators and they far and away outlasted the radiators in any of the old vehicles I've had with all metal radiators. My 2003 Accord's original radiator is 17 years old and 190K of mileage and has no leaks. Whatever FCA is doing with these ones in the JGCs is either a bad design or crappy materials or terrible workmanship, there is no reason at all they should be failing at these low miles/times. Mine went out at 60K. I'd like to think they can at least pass the cost of these failures back onto their suppliers - any insiders know if it works that way?
Can't say I've had the same experience with aluminum/plastic radiators, but till my WK2, they've lasted more than 100k miles.... ....so its pretty apparent WK2 radiators are failing earlier than they should...
My 1997 wrangler had original with no issues
2012 GC overland no issues
2015 coolant system has had nothing but issues?
In 2014 FCA switched to OAT antifreeze:unsure: My personal opinion their HOAT is the best modern coolant, OAT is to trouble prone and doesn't protect as well.

At the same time I can't see how OAT antifreeze would cause radiators to fail, unless FCA is so incompetent they used incompatible plastic and seals with OAT Coolant. I'd be more suspicious customers and dealerships have been topping off with incompatible coolants. FCA didn't help matters when they picked purple that faded to pink for their new coolant when the old coolant was red that faded close to pink.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I was told by dealer that they have to use these radiators from Chrysler and that they are just not made well. I told them they need to get in touch with Jeep because I do not believe I should be paying for failure of part. This radiator is not warranties as it has been 2years and 3 months.
I complained that I could smell coolant after 6months but could not find leak. I’ve have been the one to find leak on others. I finally found it.
We're sorry to hear about your concern. We would be happy to take a look to see if we can assist in any way on our end. Please feel free to send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,616 Posts
5.7 is known to eat water pumps (possible extended coverage if you can find in stock?), motor mounts, and all WK2s seem to have less than stellar radiators. Mine was replaced not too long ago.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,793 Posts
Judging from the posts, the 3.6L eats water pumps nearly as much as the HEMI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts