Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 47,500 miles has a leaking transmission cooler. Chrysler uses a combination transmission AC condensor cooler. They don't consider this a covered item under the powertrain warranty even though it seems to be a critical system to the transmission. The replacement cost is around $850. The dealer told me they have seen a number of these leaks recently. They have hinted that they may "comp" me on at least part of the cost. I have also contacted Chrysler's consumer hotline. They are going to contact the dealer to see if they will contribute and if they won't, they will consider whether they want to contribute. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what was your experience with Chrysler and the dealer? It seems to me, the entire cost should be covered.

BTW, my web search turned up that Ford had the same problem with a combo transmission cooler AC condensor unit on the 2008 Ford Escape and they provided an extended warranty.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How did this end up for you? My 2011 started the leak a couple weeks ago, and seems to be getting worse. Pulled the bumper today to get a better look and discovered same diagnosis... I'm at about 55k.

·
Registered
48 Posts
How did this end up for you? My 2011 started the leak a couple weeks ago, and seems to be getting worse. Pulled the bumper today to get a better look and discovered same diagnosis... I'm at about 55k.
How did this end up for you? My 2011 started leaking yesterday. Parts are on order. I'm at 85K.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Been away but wanted to update. I replaced the trans/AC cooler myself over a weekend. Took many more hours than it should have, but I was being careful and taking my time. I had to remove the front bumper and grill clip for access.

Ordered a new cooler from the prime people, and install was simple. Total cost including some trans fluid, and AC recharge, came to just under $200. Scale of 1-10, I'd maybe give it a 6, but body work scares me so that might be a little heavily weighted. Probably 5k miles since and no issues with the new one, though I did get the cylinder head issues shortly after, and am now dealing with a cylinder 3 misfire. Yay.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Been away but wanted to update. I replaced the trans/AC cooler myself over a weekend. Took many more hours than it should have, but I was being careful and taking my time. I had to remove the front bumper and grill clip for access.

Ordered a new cooler from the prime people, and install was simple. Total cost including some trans fluid, and AC recharge, came to just under $200. Scale of 1-10, I'd maybe give it a 6, but body work scares me so that might be a little heavily weighted. Probably 5k miles since and no issues with the new one, though I did get the cylinder head issues shortly after, and am now dealing with a cylinder 3 misfire. Yay.

Where did you get the part from and do you have a part number thank you

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where did you get the part from and do you have a part number thank you

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
TYC 3893 Replacement Condenser with Prime shipping, now looks like only $65! That's about $30 less than I paid 6 months ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine just started leaking. At 129,000km. I will be pricing it out at the dealership tomorrow but it really pisses me off that I have to spend over $1k to fix this because of some crappy welds by the OEM manufacturer of the trans cooler/AC condenser. How hard would it be to buy a separate trans cooler and just install it somewhere?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mine sprung a leak last year at 62K miles. Yep - a $1K repair. For a car of today, anything under 100K miles or 5 years should be covered - period. I still really like the vehicle, but I would think twice before buying another - and this is my 4th Jeep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Removed the fascia and grill yesterday, getting started on the AC Condenser replacement this weekend. Will go with the Denso unit, only $140 CAD versus the OEM which is $440 at the dealer or $350 on ebay. There is a great youtube tutorial by "Motorcity Mechanic" which details the whole process on a 2011 GC, which has been very helpful. Does anyone know how much a garage will cost me to remove the Freon and then recharge it afterwords?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The ac condenser / tranny cooler has been leaking for a few weeks at 80k miles on my 2011 WK2 Laredo. Not bad... but drips a few spots on the driveway about every two weeks after cleaning up the skid plate. Coming from the drivers side as most folks mention. I've got a Mopar "Added Care Plus" warranty... so the dealer can just fix it back to factory for $100 deductible. Sounds like the warranty is going to start paying for itself. Hope to get it in next week or two. Absolutely LOVE the vehicle. Has been absolutely trouble free up to now. Have only had to invest in oil changes and basic maintenance over the past two years of ownership.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Update... Got the condenser replaced in my '11 WK2. Started dripping heavily after making an emergency trip to Wichita (400 miles round trip)... about a 3" spot on my driveway overnight. Dealer charged $1100... but my Mopar warranty covered it for $100. Took about 5 hours labor and had the part overnighted.. but had the Jeep back by mid afternoon the next day. It doesn't even appear that they removed the bumper cover... but maybe they did. Not bad at all in my opinion. Thanks Carthage Dodge in Carthage, MO. They did a great job and know how to treat customers!

Absolutely no leaks since the install. It even seems to be shifting and accellerating quieter and smoother. Might have been a bit low on fluid... but all is definitely good now!

I absolutely love the thing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had the same problem at 79K miles on a 2013 V6 Overland. Is it just the quality of the cooler that causes this problem? $967 to fix at Covert Jeep in Austin.:mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
2011 Wk2 with 59k miles. Oil leaking from AC Condenser, driver side. It took 1 day for part to get ordered and part and labor was covered under MaxCare warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just adding my experience for others as reference. 2011 GC 3.6, condenser started leaking slowly at ~125k into the drivers side belly pan. Was initially harder to tell where the leak was as I did not see it until 127k so fluid was all over the power stearing lines as well. Dealer is replacing covered by Added Care Plus warranty for $100.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My replacement just failed with 50K miles on it. Yep, another $1k again to get it fixed. Jeep really needs to do something about this one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My replacement just failed with 50K miles on it. Yep, another $1k again to get it fixed. Jeep really needs to do something about this one.

Dude, where are you going that it's going to cost you $1000? You need a new mechanic. I hope you're not going to the dealer for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my leaking trans cooler replaced by the dealer on my 13 Overland Summit V6 at 81K miles. My cost was $839.73 (the Power Train Warranty does not cover and the dealer and Jeep Warranty Customer service both declined to pay anything towards it). My receipt states "Replaced AC Condenser/Trans Cooler/Recover EVAC and Recharge AC System". I am now getting the weird Whooomp sound from the AC relief valve or AC compressor that was mentioned here on another thread. Does the Trans Cooler use the same Coolant that the AC does? I am following up with the dealer to warn them of this sound that started after they worked on it just to cover my butt. The other thread mentions either an over or under fill of coolant or an AC compressor/AC Condenser/AC relief valve failure causing the sound.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts