Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2005 GC and as of late every time it rains it leaks inside from the front driver and passenger sides. On the driver side the water is coming in from that handle bar thing with that little clip that can be open. If it's raining I can see water dripping from it and if I open the clip it's a waterfall. I check the weather strips and they don't look that bad so I don't know where it could be leaking from.. it's so bad that the water is dripping from the middle of the roof where the sunroof controls are located at. I don't think it's the sunroof because I see no water leaking from there. As for as the passenger side goes my carpet is always wet. I can see water leaking from the side of the glove compartment. The weather stripping on the passenger side is bad but I don't see water leaking from the top just the bottom.

I know it's hard to diagnose on a forum but is this something I should take to the dealer to have fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize this post is about 9 years later but it will make a good reference for others. I was experiencing the same issue however it was just on the drivers side. It turns out that the drivers side front sunroof drain tube had come loose from the drain hole in the floor therefore it was dumping the water directly into the floorpan. Yes that is right, the designers of this vehicle built the drain tubes to flow down the A pillars and directly into the footwell of the vehicle. I am unsure why draining rain water into the cabin of the vehicle seemed like a good idea but none the less I crafted a quick and easy solution. By the way the forward drain tube on the passenger side comes right down into the passenger foot well too.

1. I removed the trim panel from the rocker panel and kick panel. With a little bit of finesse you can pull then up/out without tools.
2. Pull the carpet back below the hold release handle which will reveal the styrofoam foot rest and some wiring harness connectors. Behind them is the plastic drain tube that is vents the water out of the cabin.
3. I opted to disconnect the two wiring harness connectors however I would strongly encourage you to disconnect the vehicle battery. Using a 10mm socket I removed the retention screws and then pulled the connectors loose. See pic1. The blue plastic you see is a length of string trimmer plastic wire that I used to clean out the tubing. The second pick with the blue plastic line shows where the drain comes out of the underside of the body.

Trunk Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring Auto part

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

4. Using some tubing I had laying around the garage I crafter an extension and connected it using larger tubing. I did use Gorilla Glue to connect them but be careful not to clog the ends of the tubes with the glue.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door Hood

5. Insert the OEM tubing or tube extension into the floor drain.
Automotive tire Hat Bumper Asphalt Motor vehicle

6. Re-assemble in reverse order.

I did test the drains afterward to ensure proper flow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts