Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I realize you're annoyed but neither Toyota nor Subaru (or any other manufacturer for that matter) would replace a trim piece on a vehicle that is seven years old and well out of warranty. They're called a "limited warranty" because they have limits on time and mileage as well as what is covered. If they didn't, the manufacturers wouldn't be able to sell new vehicles because owners would keep taking their old vehicle back for free repairs.

Sometimes a manufacturer will make an exception as a goodwill gesture but that is on a case by case basis and cannot be relied on. It usually happens when a vehicle is not far out of warranty or there are other special circumstances.
Sorry but claiming other car makers don't stand behind their trim is not correct.
I purchased a used Infinity and the leather dash rippled. Infinity fixed it NO problem no questions asked. They said it shouldn't happen but consider it a manufacturer defect when it does.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sorry but claiming other car makers don't stand behind their trim is not correct.
I purchased a used Infinity and the leather dash rippled. Infinity fixed it NO problem no questions asked. They said it shouldn't happen but consider it a manufacturer defect when it does.
Was it over seven years old and out of warranty (including any used car or CPO warranty) as in this case?

My point wasn't that some manufacturers might not provide goodwill coverage of out of warranty items but that there's a limit to how far they would go. A certain portion of the price of a new vehicle is used to cover anticipated warranty costs for the manufacturer but they have to limit that cost or go broke. That's why they offer "limited" warranties with limits such as time, mileage, and covered items. Once the vehicle is well out of the warranty period, there is absolutely no obligation on the part of the manufacturer to fix anything other than safety recalls. They aren't even legally bound to carry replacement parts. They may offer goodwill coverage on a case-by-case basis but I doubt even Infinity would cover a trim repair on a seven year old model unless it had just recently been sold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was it over seven years old and out of warranty (including any used car or CPO warranty) as in this case?

My point wasn't that some manufacturers might not provide goodwill coverage of out of warranty items but that there's a limit to how far they would go. A certain portion of the price of a new vehicle is used to cover anticipated warranty costs for the manufacturer but they have to limit that cost or go broke. That's why they offer "limited" warranties with limits such as time, mileage, and covered items. Once the vehicle is well out of the warranty period, there is absolutely no obligation on the part of the manufacturer to fix anything other than safety recalls. They aren't even legally bound to carry replacement parts. They may offer goodwill coverage on a case-by-case basis but I doubt even Infinity would cover a trim repair on a seven year old model unless it had just recently been sold.
All I'm saying is clearly there is a problem with the leather on the dash and Jeep needs to
1. fix the problem so it doesn't happen in new cars and
2. stand behind their workmanship by fixing the cars where clearly the installation was flawed.
In my opinion the leather was:
1. cut too short,
2. there was insufficient leather around the dash causing the leather to pull up and then away,
3. the leather is flawed or wasn't treated properly prior to installation,
4. an insufficient amount of glue was used to properly make the seal,
5. any and/or all of combination 1-4
Most of the comments in this thread revealed defects with vehicles that were 5-6 years old and less than 75,000. (The average person drives 15,000 per year)

To me it's a manufacturers defect and should be fixed by Jeep.

IMO, no person purchasing a vehicle, whether it costs 20 or 50K + would expect the dash to peel back causing them to pay $3000 to fix a peeling dash. It just shouldn't happen and doesn't happen unless it's a manufacturers defect.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In an ideal world you would be absolutely right... anything that's clearly a manufacturing defect would be repaired by the manufacturer. In the real world, there aren't enough cases of peeling dashboards to make Jeep look into any kind of long term solution. The number of complaints on this and other forums is a tiny percentage of the total vehicles sold so in practical terms it doesn't impact Jeep's bottom line. They can issue goodwill adjustments in some cases to keep customers happy but even if they lose all of the other customers who experience the problem, it's only a minute hit to their future sales.

Again, you may consider it a manufacturer's defect (and I would tend to agree with you) but Jeep is still under no legal obligation to fix it because it is outside the terms of their warranty. No company producing any product is under any obligation to fix anything, whether manufacturer's defect or not, that is not covered by their warranty. (There are a few exceptions such as safety recalls and in some states an implied warranty of fitness for the intended purpose but those don't apply here.) Like all businesses, Jeep is in business to make money. If they have to repair things essentially forever (rather than being limited to the terms of their warranty) then they wouldn't make money without building in a lot more cost to the price of their vehicles. I understand the frustration but in the end it's just tilting at windmills.

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,805 Posts
All this whining and I've posted plainlybthere is a tsb coming to fix this for those that have it. I've also seen jeep/fca fix MANY of these as good will fixes for MANY owners. Not gonna lie...they are usually long time jeep loyal.owners...but they do good will fixes. Anyway...a tsb is coming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
All this whining and I've posted plainlybthere is a tsb coming to fix this for those that have it. I've also seen jeep/fca fix MANY of these as good will fixes for MANY owners. Not gonna lie...they are usually long time jeep loyal.owners...but they do good will fixes. Anyway...a tsb is coming.
Scott: How do you know?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yikes Scott:
If Jeep is fixing the defect for repeat or long term Jeep owners and not for new owners, their market will decline; they will run out of repeat owners because the new owners will never buy again:oops:

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,805 Posts
Yikes Scott:
If Jeep is fixing the defect for repeat or long term Jeep owners and not for new owners, their market will decline; they will run out of repeat owners because the new owners will never buy again:oops:
I can see why...you bought it used. How do they know how you or the previous owner treated it? That's just a fact of life bro. I own a business and I'm gonna treat my repeat customers better. They are repeat. Bought new and didnt buy used. Like me...I've bought probably 10 fca vehicles new...spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with them. BUT...there is a tsb coming. If you dont know me...or don't believe me...that's fine too. I understand. But I've been doing this jeep thing since 2005. I started this forum from scratch in 2009. I have friends and contacts at FCA. A fix and relief is coming. They are building inventory and working on the roll.out. trust me.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,639 Posts
I can see why...you bought it used. How do they know how you or the previous owner treated it? That's just a fact of life bro. I own a business and I'm gonna treat my repeat customers better. They are repeat. Bought new and didnt buy used. Like me...I've bought probably 10 fca vehicles new...spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with them. BUT...there is a tsb coming. If you dont know me...or don't believe me...that's fine too. I understand. But I've been doing this jeep thing since 2005. I started this forum from scratch in 2009. I have friends and contacts at FCA. A fix and relief is coming. They are building inventory and working on the roll.out. trust me.
I'm really glad to hear that. I planned on raising the issue next time I bring mine in for an oil change. Do you have any feel for when it will roll out?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my Jeep NEW
I bought the Infiniti Used

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,805 Posts
Well...you were lucky with Infiniti. I'm sure that's not common. I have a local friend who works in the Lexington ky infiniti and he has never heard of Infiniti covering out of warranty items unless they had fixed it before.
Like I said a tsb is coming

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well...you were lucky with Infiniti. I'm sure that's not common. I have a local friend who works in the Lexington ky infiniti and he has never heard of Infiniti covering out of warranty items unless they had fixed it before.
Like I said a tsb is coming
I don't mean to be argumentative but Infiniti Annapolis told me it was a manufacturers defect and they fixed it without further discussion.
But let's move on.
In this thread you said two months ago the tsb is coming. Do you know when?

·
Registered
Overland
135 Posts
I have opened a case for mine. Unglued on to right of drivers left air vent where the seam is, also center of dash starting to look like wrinkly elephant skin. Have a an appointment 9/16 for dealer and FCA to discuss. My vehicle is garaged at home and at work, I cant imagine what it would look like if it werent. The rest of vehicle, including drivers seat does not show excessive wear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have opened a case for mine. Unglued on to right of drivers left air vent where the seam is, also center of dash starting to look like wrinkly elephant skin. Have a an appointment 9/16 for dealer and FCA to discuss. My vehicle is garaged at home and at work, I cant imagine what it would look like if it werent. The rest of vehicle, including drivers seat does not show excessive wear.
Hi
How did you make out with your appointment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All this talk about a TSB... what exactly do you people think that will do?! A Technical Service Bulletin is simply advise to a dealer how to actually resolve a commonly found issue. It is NOT a recall or open license for dealers to start doing these repairs for free.

Boy do I wish it was, as mine started bubbling/wrinkling JUST after warranty like they timed it that way--it now looks awful and embarrassing!

·
Registered
2 Posts
TSB would mean FCA recording an issue, which as of yet most dealers state they have no idea nor do they admit that an issue exists.....not looking for anything free but a solution to the problem sure would be nice

·
Registered
14 Posts
All this talk about a TSB... what exactly do you people think that will do?! A Technical Service Bulletin is simply advise to a dealer how to actually resolve a commonly found issue. It is NOT a recall or open license for dealers to start doing these repairs for free.

Boy do I wish it was, as mine started bubbling/wrinkling JUST after warranty like they timed it that way--it now looks awful and embarrassing!
I spoke with Jeep Customer care and they said people should call. Doesn't mean they will fix it after I explained my situation the responses sounded like the closer to the standard warranty time frame the better your chances. In my case, mine started when right after the standard warranty expired & the dealer immediately dismissed it stating Jeep would NOT cover it. When I told Customer Care what the dealership said I was told the dealer should not have said that.
I've contacted a new dealership and am meeting them later this week. Service manager was very honest and didn't get my hopes up but will give it a shot. Service manager did give me the name/number of a car upholstery shop and their price was $2500.00. Apparently they have repaired many. Pricing was better than the $3500 I was quoted by dealerships.
Now I have to decide whether to fix it or ditch it.
Sadly ditching it would be a real budget buster...

·
Registered
14 Posts
TSB would mean FCA recording an issue, which as of yet most dealers state they have no idea nor do they admit that an issue exists.....not looking for anything free but a solution to the problem sure would be nice
Customer Care is aware and so is FCA. The dealership I spoke to this week said they would look at it and contact them to discuss possible solutions. The Service Manager said they've seen this before and the old dealership I bought the care from was also aware.
Dealerships that don't admit this is an issue are not telling you the truth.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts