Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 3 or so months ago my leather dashboard on my 14 Overland started to become unglued and bubbling. Some days it was worse, some days better, most of the time big ass bubbles between the leather and the dash where it has unglued. I’ve owned a few cars in my life so far and not once have I ever had such an issue and I found it unacceptable that it should be happening on a 4 yr old car that was $50k when it was new. To my surprise, I found a ton of posts here on this site with other owners having the same issue with some getting it taken care off by their dealership and some getting it taken care of by Jeep Cares.

My problem was that I was at 102’ish K miles. Yes I drive a lot but essentially the car is still 4 years old and we are talking about a non mechanical item. Dealership said NOPE not covered but here’s how much it’ll cost you, the first person I spoke to at Jeep Cares denied the claim due to mileage. Let’s also keep in mind that at this point we are shopping for a replacement 2nd SUV and this can hinge our decision if we are going to a FCA product or going GM or Ford.

I have to give a BIG THANKS to Jeep Cares from this site. By this time I’m already at 104k and a trip planned to Canada that will add more mileage.I contacted Jeep Cares thru the forum and two months later it was approved for a full replacement. I will leave her name out of this but you don’t know how great it was too hear that Jeep/FCA will stand behind their product. Jeep Cares covered the full cost of my replacing the dashboard, set everything up with my dealership, all I had to do was make an apt and show up! Exceptional service and it’s also why we ended up buying a brand new 18 Durango GT last week. We will definitely be purchasing another Grand Cherokee when its time to replace this one. Thank you Jeep Cares!

View attachment 200413

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks to Jeep Cares taking care of our Grand Cherokee, it solidified our decision on this bad boy! We made sure this one didn't have a leather dash. LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
371 Posts
Jeep Care’s has help a lot of people on various forums. I am glad they pay attention to social media as people do spread the word. Congrats. Enjoy your Durango.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same issue with my 14 overland with the dash bubbling. I have reached out to the dealer for a look and also to jeep cares on here to see what can be done to correct it.

However, i see that you bought the durango. I am looking into the durango SRT due to the 3rd row and space but i dont like the unrefined center console dash look. How do you compare it to your 14 overland? better, worse, different? which do you prefer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the same issue with my 14 overland with the dash bubbling. I have reached out to the dealer for a look and also to jeep cares on here to see what can be done to correct it.

However, i see that you bought the durango. I am looking into the durango SRT due to the 3rd row and space but i dont like the unrefined center console dash look. How do you compare it to your 14 overland? better, worse, different? which do you prefer?

It took me a solid three months of going back and forth to get it repaired. Dealership denied it immediately as expected. First attempt with FCA denied as well because they said my Jeep had too many miles as well. I was at 104K miles and they said that was over any 100K mile warranty and over the standard 50K warranty. Contacted Jeepcares thru this forum and it took about 2 months but JeepCares took care of me. You do initially have to get a work estimate / work order from your dealership. They contacted the service manager, authorized the work, had the dash shipped to the dealership and my SM called me once it arrived and scheduled the work. I am extremely happy with the replacement dash and the work performed by the dealership.

Yes, we did purchase a 18 Durango GT Black Out Edition as replacement to a Ford Escape. We went with the Durango over a Grand Cherokee Limited X because of the 3rd row. We need the extra room. This is the wife's car and I'm kind of jealous on it. We both love it as it drives great. She wanted the SRT but we just didn't want to spent that much money on it. The GT has the standard non leather dash. Although it is nice and fits well with the all black interior, it still is no comparison to a stitched leather dash. The feel of the leather is much nicer. However, we didn't want to worry about any leather issues and it becoming unglued from the dash in the future so that was our compromise! LOL

·
Registered
595 Posts
We received a letter in the mail that the warranty on our dashboard has been extended to 3 years/36,000 miles from December 2019 and instructions about what to do if we experience this issue. So far it hasn't happened to our 2014 yet.

·
Registered
cattle
1,311 Posts
We received a letter in the mail that the warranty on our dashboard has been extended to 3 years/36,000 miles from December 2019 and instructions about what to do if we experience this issue. So far it hasn't happened to our 2014 yet.
When I first got my 2014 used at 38K and about 2 years old I didn't think there was anything wrong with my dash. 6 moths later I discovered by accident that the area just behind the hood of the instrument cluster was delaminated when I pushed down on that area with my finger and could, in fact, push it down. Because of the tension between the parts still glued down the delaiminated part just stretched between them in a nice smooth arc and looked normal. Push around all over your dash to make sure it's not lifting in any of the areas like that. The warranty for your 2014 if it's like my letter says only runs for 6 months. So even if it looks good but you find it's lifted anywhere you want to get it replaced while you can. I thought mine would be fine with that lifted area, and it was for about a year after I got it.. but then two summers into my ownership more of it let loose closer to the windshield and it started wrinkling up. Luckily I was able to work with Jeep Cares from here and it was covered.. that was about two months before they came out with this official warranty coverage for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts