Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Leather Dashboard - WARRANTY FIX!

161K views 417 replies 214 participants last post by  JeepCares 
#1 ·
I just read this on another forum:

Jeep just released a warranty bulletin today related to the leather dashboards on our trucks. It covers model years 2011-2014. Per this bulletin, they can replace the dashboard (leather and upper carrier) under warranty after inspecting it.

Here's the catch............

The warranty coverage is good for 6 months from the date that the bulletin is issued. It was issued TODAY (12/18/19), meaning that it needs to be looked at BEFORE June 18th!!!

Don't snooze on this!!!! My saddle colored dash is driving me nuts! Now there seems to be an avenue to get it fixed.

Call your dealer with your VIN# to see if it's covered. In the dealer's Warranty Coverage Area, it would need to show "X81" to be covered.

#332 ·
I'm not surprised especially with the supply chain issues. My suggestion is if you want it fixed, find an upholstery shop that does auto interiors and talk to them. You'll have to pay for it but at least you won't have to look at it and it will keep the value up if you decide to sell or trade it.

#333 ·
I think that's the route I'm going to have to take. My dashboard is in shambles. 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, original owner. Always took it to the same original AutoNation dealer, and it was in during this service bulletin period and I asked about a recall back then but no dice, I must have used the wrong word. and of course now I finally asked for an estimate to fix, and got one, that there was a service bulletin sent which I didn't receive, and two, that it had expired. To add insult to injury, I have the Mopar Extended Warranty (best one) and it's also not covered by them.

#334 ·
Hi
I received the notice regarding the leather dash for my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I went to my local dealer and they took photos. They said replacement / fix was approved. Then the coronavirus started. I called after restrictions had listed and they said there are supply chain issues and they would call me. No call. Also I have moved states, so I have no idea what to do about this now. Who should I call at Jeep to find out where this is at? I am looking at buying a new Jeep and this will dramatically effect my trade-in value. Thanks.

#336 ·
Hello fellow Jeep owners. I own a 2011 JEEP GC Overland and dealing with a wrinkled/bubbled up dash for some time. The dealership(s) in my area have been communicating the same things you all have been told. The last time I inquired, they gave me an email address to reach directly at FCA. x81digitalimagingapproval@fcagroup.com
I've been emailing them every week for about a month with no reply. I am going to keep trying until they do. Perhaps if we all try, we may be able to make some strides.
I love my JEEP and have taken extremely good care of it including all my service appointments at the dealership. It's biggest blemish is something I had nothing to do with and I hope FCA will do the right thing and help us all out.

#337 ·
Hello fellow Jeep owners. I own a 2011 JEEP GC Overland and dealing with a wrinkled/bubbled up dash for some time. The dealership(s) in my area have been communicating the same things you all have been told. The last time I inquired, they gave me an email address to reach directly at FCA. x81digitalimagingapproval@fcagroup.com
I've been emailing them every week for about a month with no reply. I am going to keep trying until they do. Perhaps if we all try, we may be able to make some strides.
I love my JEEP and have taken extremely good care of it including all my service appointments at the dealership. It's biggest blemish is something I had nothing to do with and I hope FCA will do the right thing and help us all out.
Hey there, I called FCA last week. Also spoke to MOPAR's Extended Warranty which I have kept on my 2013 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit for the life of the car (and it's paid off). No dice, not covered by either.

I paid almost 3K to get the fix done by the dealer, looks wonderful, and I'm poor. 😳

#339 ·
Mine got replaced after 2 years multiple trips and the same the dealer "lost pictures and records" story. Frightening that seems to be such a consistent theme. That along with only allowing people to make a claim in the narrow 6 month window very suspect it seems. Anyway my advice is to make a lot of noise frequently with the dealer and jeep corporate dont take no for an answer.
Definitely a case here of the squeaky wheel gets the grease in my opinion. I called every month or two until it got done.

#342 ·
My 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 is sitting at the dealer presently because my replacement dash delaminated. So FCA sent a another replacement dash which is now the standard dash that goes into the jeep sport. That is their new fix for the delaminaiton. I'm under the impression that my dash is going to be replaced with the black wrapped leather dash with the white stitching only to be greeted by a ugly gray textured dash in my black interior Jeep. I'm totally ticked. If it wasn't the same why did they not call me? I was told to deal with it and I'm livid at this point. They say a new FCA document is circulating amongst the dealerships saying this is what they are doing. I'm going to fight this even if it means hiring a lawyer and creating a extremely bad public relations nightmare. I didn't spend over $50,000 on a vehicle to face this type of crap. I take extremely good care of my cars and have less than 66,000 miles. Anyone else dealing with this?

#343 ·
How long after you got the new dash did it fall apart also? They did a good job putting mine in, took almost 2 years but did get it done. The replacement looks identical to original which I'm glad about but wondering how long it will go 🤔. Definitely a lot to be desired in how they handled all this for folks. And the covid, supply chain excuse is wearing a bit thin after after 2 and half years for many folks I'm sure.

#349 ·
I just bought my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 12000 miles on it, i bought it online and the dealer had it in the pictures but it didnt really show the full extent of the damage to the dash, but unfortunately I was told it is what it is and they were not responsible. I contacted my local jeep dealer and was told there was a recall on it but it is not being honored anymore. Its interesting on here how some people are having a lot of luck getting theirs replaced and some of us arent. im at the point of trading this jeep in and getting a different vehicle because of, what seems to me, poor communication and follow through. Why are some dealers making the call to replace and others arent. I really like how it drives but im not building a lot of confidence in Jeep after reading some of these reviews.

#353 ·
Here I am in 2022… have had my 12’ SRT for two almost three years. My dash is hideous. For such a high end, luxury vehicle and a company I have supported ($$$$) I have had two dealers tell me to get lost. I am desperately looking for any input, advice, or thoughts on how to get this dash fixed.

#360 ·
So here is my sordid tale of woe with this issue. I had received the extended warranty/recall letter in the past, took my wife's GC in, and the local dealer, Adams Jeep in Aberdeen, MD, processed the claim. They ordered the part. I checked back 90 days later. The part order was cancelled by corporate. They referenced somewhere in Italy where the dashes were sourced/COVID/supply chain issues. None of this sounds like a me problem, but it does sound like an FCA sourcing/support problem. I asked them to reorder the part. They did so and indicated that there was no delivery date in the system. Again, the order was cancelled by corporate. I called the recall line today. They indicated that they showed my claim properly processed in the system, but that the replacement dash had been discontinued. They said if I can "find" an OEM dash, have a 3rd party put it in, and pass their "audit", they MAY reimburse me for the repair. When I asked for a not to exceed dollar amount for the repair, they were unable/unwilling to provide one. I called the dealer again to get a price on a replacement dash for the other 2014 trimlines of the GC and the labor cost to put the dash in. Once I have those two pieces of data, I'm planning to call the FCA recall line and forcing them to accept this as a solution and pay for it. It's not the beautiful leather dash, but it is an umblemished dash that isn't a constant eyesore and reminder that FCA doesn't stand behind their products/do right by their customers.

#361 ·
So the plot thickens - apparently, there are different part streams at Jeep/Chrysler. The dealer called me back and let me know that there are "recall parts" and "regular parts". He confirmed that the "recall" part was indeed discontinued, but that the "regular" part was still available. The "regular" part number is 6TW85LS5AB. It apparently retails for $1100.00 (as opposed to $500-$600 for the "recall" part. The quoted labor is $1575.00. I'm going to call the FCA recall line tomorrow and see if they'll resolve the issue in a satisfactory manner. Wish me luck.

#374 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 with 100k+ and I just did that. Tiny needle, I think 31g?? (For diabetics). I mixed 2 part epoxy in it and put it in the seems. Pretty close to new. You’d never see
the needle. I put two sand bags on it right after I smoothed it out with my hand.

I filled the syringe up completely so maybe an ounce of fluid that you install high side and let run down. But knowing Jeep they’d never fix this

Just make sure the epoxy is Plastic safe, even though mines leather. The other ones will get too hot and will warp the material. You can do it with just your hand if you make it a couple step process. Whatever 2 part you get just make sure it’s fluid and not like JB weld that is like Peanut butter or add more part A in to get it to water consistently. I can link what I used later

#381 ·
If we want this to be covered by Jeep, we need to build a strong case. To make it visible, we need to submit complaints to NHTSA they know it’s more than just 2011-2014 Years.
From NHTSA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
  • Filing a complaint is your first step in helping NHTSA identify safety problems.
  • NHTSA reviews your complaint and compares it to other complaints.
  • If a trend is suspected and a problem has a potential for causing a risk to safety the agency will open an investigation.
  • If NHTSA believes the data indicates that a safety-related defect exists, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall.
  • NHTSA does not usually request a recall on single complaints unless NHTSA identifies a severe potential risk to safety based on their investigations.

#382 ·
If we want this to be covered by Jeep, we need to build a strong case. To make it visible, we need to submit complaints to NHTSA they know it’s more than just 2011-2014 Years.
From NHTSA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
  • Filing a complaint is your first step in helping NHTSA identify safety problems.
  • NHTSA reviews your complaint and compares it to other complaints.
  • If a trend is suspected and a problem has a potential for causing a risk to safety the agency will open an investigation.
  • If NHTSA believes the data indicates that a safety-related defect exists, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall.
  • NHTSA does not usually request a recall on single complaints unless NHTSA identifies a severe potential risk to safety based on their investigations.

NHTSA wont care and even if they did, they cant force a recall as its purely cosmetic and not a safety issue .

#385 ·
"nothing to do with NHTSA". It's from the NHTSA website!!! Jeep covered it b/c of NHTSA investigation. FCA doesn't do these at no cost out of the goodness from their hearts. People, like me, aren't getting Jeep to cover their poor design quality. This is one possible way to get covered for more recent model years. It's a long shot, but still a shot.

• Haha
Reactions: SlateBlue2020WK2
#390 ·
It took nearly 2 years for the parts to come in but I was able to get my replaced under the warranty extension for my 2014. So I'm thankful they replaced it on that age of vehicle however a little over a year and a half later the new one is beginning to lift in places. Hopefully will hold together enough a few more years.

#394 ·
I have a 2011 Jeep GC Overland with this dashboard issue since before 2018. It had been to the dealership many times for various issues including seven Recalls, and routine maintenance. Not One Single Time was I ever notified that they would fix it per any type of warranty or recall. I was given estimates to replace it at my cost but I didn’t want to spend that kind of money. Chrysler/ Jeep has screwed me every which way to Sunday with this Jeep that is now 12 years old with only 54,000 miles! I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANY OF THEIR VEHICLES AGAIN! It currently has been sitting at the dealership for a month waiting for a TIPM that is on a Worldwide back order. They don’t care about their vehicles or their customers anymore. The dealership doesn’t even want to work on any vehicles that are older than 10 years old!
NEVER AGAIN 🤨😡