Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put LEDs in their brights yet or before? Looking for simple swap nice output without relays or resistors w/o flickering... got DDM in headlight and fogs... don't want to install another set of HIDs for the very rare occasion I use the brights...

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
I'm interested in this too, from what little I read;

There is enough difference between LED and Incandescent you just can't compare numbers and expect one to perform better. i.e. just because the LED advertises more Lumens or Wattage equivalent doesn't mean they'll actual shine brighter or farther down the road. There are a ton of variables, and measuring light is very complex, also incandescent light fixture are not designed for LED's that cast light in very different pattern.

So, from what little I read, most LED's retro-fits aren't up to performing as well as most better halogen bulbs out there. That most praises you read are more from folks that are more concerned with how their car looks to others on the road, than the actual performance of the headlights.

Many of the LED headlamp bulbs also have fans in them to handle the heat, and I've read the fan doesn't last very long. I'd believe it, it looks like a little PC fan, not robust enough to stand up to the environment in a car on the road.

Having said that, I've never tried them nor am I even close to an expert on LED or auto bulbs. So take it with a big grain of salt, if someone sounding more credible has a differing opinion, don't dismiss it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,462 Posts
Ok, done some more research, LED headlight bulbs, still can't find anything definitive, nothing close a scientific comparison, and if the few that are, they only compare them to the LongLife Halogen bulbs (LL is less bright so they can last longer).

One of the biggest problem with a lot of the LED bulbs is the light pattern and they show the light just doesn't cast from the headlamp fixture like they should. But some do, and some appear, even measured brighter than the comparison halogen bulb. Except the baseline halogen bulb is LongLife, i.e. the worse performing bulb, and those LED's are $200 or more. So for something that expensive, I'd rather see some more proof they are better than cheaper Halogen's.

Probably the best comparison for LED's I saw, most are either dimmer than high performance halogen or have a screwed up beam pattern that will cause glare for other drivers.
15 Brands LED Headlight Bulb Shoot-Out! Which one's the best? - Better Automotive Lighting

I found this:
BulbFacts | Top 3 Brightest Headlight Bulbs Tested (Halogen)
The list the Top Three best performing Halogen Headlamp Bulbs:

1st - OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited
2nd - Sylvania Silverstar Ultra
3rd - GE Nighthawk Platinum

OSRAM and Sylvania are so close in performance, they say there is no reason to go out of your way to get one over the other. OSRAM and Sylvania are just two subsidiaries of the same company, but OSRAM are built in Germany. And despite both the bulbs appearing identical, they were able to measure a slight difference between them, with the OSRAM slightly better. Those darn Germans and their precise execution....

You might note, every manufacturer has a model that is more expensive and claims to be even brighter than the models listed above. Actually they are cooler temperature color, that the filter reduces the total light and thus makes them perform worse.

And yes, I agree color temperature does make a difference with a cooler light being more like daylight, easier on the eyes and makes things on the road stand out better. But there is just no way to narrow the light spectrum without also reducing the total amount of light. And there are more than a few Blue or HID looking halogen bulbs, that when measured, perform horribly yet in some comparisons they get rated #1 because they cast the whitest light, not a lot of it, but its the coolest temperature cooler than all the others.

So you got to compromise, whiter light is great, but not at the expense not being able to see down the road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I am not really looking to use it for seeing down the road as my HIDs are bright enough i don't see a difference.

I ordered a set of LEDs for the brights more for purpose to flashing ppl when they flash me and so on...

installing them today hopefully will be bright enough for my liking or i will switch to another set of HIDs.

keep you posted

·
Registered
839 Posts
Did you happen to check out the new SL1 from Diode Dynamics? Looks like a pretty good option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just ordered a set from amazon which should be here today. I really did it to match my HIDs. Hopefully I don’t have any issues but they will be used minimally.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
could I buy two of these one for lows one for fogs (H11)? Not trying to take over just wanted to know if anyone had some leds to recommend for both lows and fogs, thank you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
could I buy two of these one for lows one for fogs (H11)? Not trying to take over just wanted to know if anyone had some leds to recommend for both lows and fogs, thank you.

you can buy these for the fogs. I installed them into my Fiances car (Honda crv 2017) and match her DDM HIDs headlights ... going to be replacing her brights with these as well and only 30 bucks and are super bright

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZDS9S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts