Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I gambled And bought and installing led bulbs into the headlights and fog lights (2014 halogen headlights). Well to summarize I hate Jeep for where the access point is for the headlights, they truly are a pain in the @$$ to change.

maybe it’s just the led bulbs I bought, the bulbs installed in the fog lights are great! Very happy with them. In the headlight not so much, lots of dark spots and shadowing.
First stock (all on, fogs only, headlights only) kind you these are all original bulbs.

Now the led’s (all on, just headlights, )

so there you have it spend the money on hid’s for the main headlights, seems like the led’s don’t work well with these projectors. Fog lights on the other hand appear to work well.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
258 Posts
So I gambled And bought and installing led bulbs into the headlights and fog lights (2014 halogen headlights). Well to summarize I hate Jeep for where the access point is for the headlights, they truly are a pain in the @$$ to change.

maybe it’s just the led bulbs I bought, the bulbs installed in the fog lights are great! Very happy with them. In the headlight not so much, lots of dark spots and shadowing.
First stock (all on, fogs only, headlights only) kind you these are all original bulbs.
View attachment 221011 View attachment 221012 View attachment 221013
Now the led’s (all on, just headlights, )
View attachment 221014 View attachment 221015 View attachment 221016
so there you have it spend the money on hid’s for the main headlights, seems like the led’s don’t work well with these projectors. Fog lights on the other hand appear to work well.
There are only a few led's that work correctly in our projector headlights. And unfortunately they are expensive but its also because the companies took the time to make them work specifically in automotive lights. Other companies just slap leds on a chip and call it a headlight. I agree the hids are better but i have leds in my fogs and they work great, but they are also indexed correctly which is a big issue people dont understand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been eyeballing the gtr lighting ultra 2, they are about $200. I just don’t know if I can bring myself to gambling on another set when I can just get hid’s and be done with it.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
203 Posts
I’ve been eyeballing the gtr lighting ultra 2, they are about $200. I just don’t know if I can bring myself to gambling on another set when I can just get hid’s and be done with it.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I would've gone plug and play HID but didn't want to drill a hole in the dust cap and have to find some place to mount the ballast. I decided to get 5000K VLED Micro Evolution Extreme (headlights) and standard Micro Evolution (fog lights). They are decent (better than above) but not superb. They do light up the road noticeably better than the stock bulbs, but I likely need to aim them down a little bit...especially after I installed a leveling kit and didn't adjust the headlights. Unfortunately, they don't have a good indexing collar, so I couldn't get the perfect 3 - 9 o'clock orientation with them fully installed but I didn't notice much difference when partially turning them in and having correct orientation. I did have to play around with the limited orientation options they have to get more light forward. Unlike my wife's Mazda where the LEDs throw off a perfect cutoff (it looks like a solid bar of light with a perfect horizontal cutoff line), and the projector looks like smooth glass, the Jeep's has the texture on the projector that probably interferes.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
203 Posts
If you look at some of the pictures with the bi-xenon HID option, the beam pattern on a wall isn't that impressive either. I believe it is the projectors that Jeep selected for their headlights. They aren't very good. How the beam looks on the wall (or garage door in the original posts) is important, but doesn't need to be perfect. Granted, the pictures posted above, particularly with the fog lights off, weren't good. The key is paying a little more for LED headlights that are actually tested for performance beyond just the number of lumens. You want to light up the road...not blind on-coming traffic all for a change in light color:) My wife's projected very well on a wall, even with cheap LEDs. However, with cheaper LEDs, they didn't illuminate the road well, and we were getting flashed every couple of days by on-coming traffic. I went with a different brand and so far so good...and better visibility on the road. Surprisingly, with my worse beam pattern though (on a wall), I still illuminate the road a little better. I kind of think it is because her headlights and fog lights are 6000K and I went with 5000K (I had got used to and liked the 5000K color better from HIDs on my previous vehicle)....not as much blue light. Diode Dynamics is a reputable brand...just make sure to ask for their Jeep-specific model that allows them to be indexed correctly when installed...someone else posted on a different forum and they looked quite good. Most LEDs, mine included, are designed for cars where the headlight socket is oriented down when installed...indexing is automatic. In the WK2, for some reason, they have the stock headlight socket oriented at like 10 o'clock when installed...weird. Fortunately, the more expensive LEDs get around this because they orient the LED elements to better mimic the 360 degree lighting of a halogen/incandescent bulb.

·
Registered
GC TH
308 Posts
If you look at some of the pictures with the bi-xenon HID option, the beam pattern on a wall isn't that impressive either. I believe it is the projectors that Jeep selected for their headlights. They aren't very good. How the beam looks on the wall (or garage door in the original posts) is important, but doesn't need to be perfect. Granted, the pictures posted above, particularly with the fog lights off, weren't good. The key is paying a little more for LED headlights that are actually tested for performance beyond just the number of lumens. You want to light up the road...not blind on-coming traffic all for a change in light color:) My wife's projected very well on a wall, even with cheap LEDs. However, with cheaper LEDs, they didn't illuminate the road well, and we were getting flashed every couple of days by on-coming traffic. I went with a different brand and so far so good...and better visibility on the road. Surprisingly, with my worse beam pattern though (on a wall), I still illuminate the road a little better. I kind of think it is because her headlights and fog lights are 6000K and I went with 5000K (I had got used to and liked the 5000K color better from HIDs on my previous vehicle)....not as much blue light. Diode Dynamics is a reputable brand...just make sure to ask for their Jeep-specific model that allows them to be indexed correctly when installed...someone else posted on a different forum and they looked quite good. Most LEDs, mine included, are designed for cars where the headlight socket is oriented down when installed...indexing is automatic. In the WK2, for some reason, they have the stock headlight socket oriented at like 10 o'clock when installed...weird. Fortunately, the more expensive LEDs get around this because they orient the LED elements to better mimic the 360 degree lighting of a halogen/incandescent bulb.
I agree with your assessment of the lenses. I posted a thread when I first got my Jeep a year ago talking about the lacking output.

AF2CCAC5-83F3-49AA-8E1F-CCA276D4C213.jpeg D4840C36-34DD-4B78-99BF-8DD43BE74822.jpeg
Here is the difference between my WK1 OEM HID’s and the WK2.

·
Vendor
553 Posts
For projectors - the team has tested many and have had the best results from their projector style model:

From 3rd party testing - it seems these still outrank.

The price is fair for what you receive and many have switched. :)

This photos is vs HIkari - the most popular LED so far on Amazon and you can see how much more brightness and concentration of light in the center it provides:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts