Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new led bulbs today and i just tried them at night and they don’t light up more than 10 feet and are not bright at all. Could this be a installation problem on my end or bad bulbs.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
78 Posts
You do not provide a lot of details such as lights, cancelors, etc... so assuming all is wlred correctly with required parts as needed then the lights are working fine. My best guess is your original housings are projectors? If so, this is your issues. LEDs are a directional beam of light that does not work well in projector housings. And your experience is an excellent example of what happens. My recommendation is to reinstall the original halogens to rule out any issues with the housings. If that works then consider replacing with a quality HID bulb.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
353 Posts
well we need to know what type of led's you bought? im going to assume a set from amazon? Also led's actually do work in projectors however your going to need to spend some money on a good set where the company actually did some R&D on them. A main thing also is that leds need to be "Indexed" correctly meaning the led chips need to face the 9 and 3 oclock position in a projector. Ill tell you most cheap led's off amazon or ebay will state a crazy high amount of lumens but usually they dont come close. The issue with cheap companies is that they simply slap a led chip on a board and call it a "headlight" with no research. There are only a few companies that make a legit led bulb that work really well in a projector. Most of the time people will post a pic and show how bright they are when in reality they are just spewing bright light everywhere and its not actually focused whatsoever. Your best indicator is drive up to a wall at night about 10 feet away and take a pic and post it here, then we can really see if they are any good.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
78 Posts
Your best indicator is drive up to a wall at night about 10 feet away and take a pic and post it here, then we can really see if they are any good.
Should be 25' from a wall. Then look to see where the cut off (top of the beam pattern is). It should be 2"-4", if memory serves, below the center or midpoint of the beam's source which will be you headlights. A simple tape measure from the ground to center of the low beam housing will provide that magic number. If you are no where near that and they can't be adjusted to meet that then they will be no good. When I did my HID replacement a couple of months ago, the measurements and pattern were spot on with no adjustments needed. You can perform the same steps above with your halogen bulbs installed just to verify there is nothing wrong with your headlamp assemblies or housings. If you halogen bulbs provide the same results you may have a problem like a broken tab or mount on the housings or the adjustment screws, or whatever.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
384 Posts
My guess they're indexed wrong and opinion, dump them for HID's. People don't do enough research anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts