Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeep will NOT get rid of the incandescent bulbs across the rear of the Grand Cherokee!! So aggravating!! Most every other Chrysler/Fiat model is all LED.

Any suggestions for converting the rear bulbs?

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
358 Posts
Whats funny is the outer ring that illuminates when the vehicle park lights are on for the tails is LED. I have swapped out all 4 of my reverse light bulbs to 6k leds, and also swapped out my brake/turn signal bulbs. I will tell you tho the brake bulbs i swapped out work with no issues or flashing or anything however i concluded they are no less or more brighter than the stock incandescent.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
I've used Sylvania Zevo Red LED's, look great, really fill the entire fixture with Red Light....
The AlfaOBD and FCADIag is suppose to be to turn off the Bulb Out warning feature you get with the lower current of LED's.... ...if you don't use that, then you have to use Resistors wired into the circuit to stop the Bulb Out warnings.... ....someone mentioned this might not be possible for 2013 and earlier (I haven't seen it confirmed)....

This is just for the turn signals and stop lamps..... ....all others you can swap LED's and not have any problem....

Some small LED company advertises and posts here with their LED's for WK2, they claim will not set the Bulb Out warnings.... ....I suspect that is because their LED's fixtures have 10 times the LED elements than is needed, and thus draw 10 times the current most LED bubls draw, which is about the same as the incandescent bulb.... ....and several people have complained they still get the bulb out warning in extremely cold weather (likely when the LED's draw less current).....

·
Super Moderator
8,807 Posts
There are so many threads here on that very subject. Yes, there are solutions. Model year does matter...MY11-MY13 is not quite as friendly to LEDs in the brake/tail/turn position.

·
Registered
Altitude
2,741 Posts
I've been running Aaron's red led's from Amazon for about 3 years now.... i highly recommend them.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
358 Posts
I've been running Aaron's red led's from Amazon for about 3 years now.... i highly recommend them.
You've been using their 3157 with no resistors? They dont say they are canbus or anything like that so im just wondering because ive checked them out before.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've been using the mid-level VLEDS 50-led 3157 without resistors for some time without any problems. I had no problems with the turn signals for the month or so that I used them before getting the Appcar DiagFCA software (AlfaOBD will work too), and changing to Euro mode taillights (changes the outer reverse light into the turn signal [I used a iJDM amber LED in there without resistors with no problems]).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use DeAutoLEDs in my ‘17 and they work great. They don’t require resistors and are error free. I’ve been running my latest set for almost 2 years with no problems. I had a set of their first get bulbs and one went out, but they replaced both for FREE with their current gen bulbs.

they are a little brighter than stock, but where they really shine is the instant on/off illumination.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jeep will NOT get rid of the incandescent bulbs across the rear of the Grand Cherokee!! So aggravating!! Most every other Chrysler/Fiat model is all LED.

Any suggestions for converting the rear bulbs?
Hi,
I also own a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Laredo)
I've tried a lot of brands out there and have come across this LED light.
This is by far the brightest light I've used. You can get it on eBay. Though you have to use
a load resister (easy to install). Works great with the reflector. "BRIGHT" & no errors.

·
Vendor
562 Posts
I use DeAutoLEDs in my ‘17 and they work great. They don’t require resistors and are error free. I’ve been running my latest set for almost 2 years with no problems. I had a set of their first get bulbs and one went out, but they replaced both for FREE with their current gen bulbs.

they are a little brighter than stock, but where they really shine is the instant on/off illumination.
Thank you - we appreciate it. There are tons of LEDs on the market that are not error free. These are truly plug and play and why they are popular :)

·
Registered
Altitude
2,741 Posts
You've been using their 3157 with no resistors? They dont say they are canbus or anything like that so im just wondering because ive checked them out before.
yes, no resistors.

·
Vendor
562 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. We still to date feel we have the only truly error free bulbs for all Jeep years/makes/models - others are a hit or miss and would require extra resistance.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. We still to date feel we have the only truly error free bulbs for all Jeep years/makes/models - others are a hit or miss and would require extra resistance.
How do you achieve error free bulbs? The only way I am aware of preventing the bulb out warning and/or hyper flash with a bulb is to draw an equal amount of current as the recommended DOT incandescent bulb.

SInce an LED typical draws 2%-5% the current of incandescent bulb for an equivalent amount of light..... .....I suppose you can make a bulb with many, many LED's on them that are 20-50 times brighter than legally allowed for the light fixture..... .....I guess you could build a resistor into the bulb, but a resistor turns energy into heat not light, so a bulb with a resistor that draws that much current would likely get very, very hot, much hotter than an incandescent bulb... ...melting the plastic light fixtures might be a possibility.....

So how does deAutoLED do it?

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
358 Posts
How do you achieve error free bulbs? The only way I am aware of preventing the bulb out warning and/or hyper flash with a bulb is to draw an equal amount of current as the recommended DOT incandescent bulb.

SInce an LED typical draws 2%-5% the current of incandescent bulb for an equivalent amount of light..... .....I suppose you can make a bulb with many, many LED's on them that are 20-50 times brighter than legally allowed for the light fixture..... .....I guess you could build a resistor into the bulb, but a resistor turns energy into heat not light, so a bulb with a resistor that draws that much current would likely get very, very hot, much hotter than an incandescent bulb... ...melting the plastic light fixtures might be a possibility.....

So how does deAutoLED do it?
i cant get into the specifics of it but certian companies do make bulbs with canbus option labeled on them. Basically like you said adding resistors in them to satisfy the likes of the vehicles canbus system so it doesnt throw codes. GTR Lighting makes some of the highest quality bulbs and they do have a 3157 CANBUS Bulb for the Turn/Brake light but i have yet to order them. There priced at $69 for the pair, the look and build quality of them looks great. In time i may order them and do a quick review.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,481 Posts
i cant get into the specifics of it but certian companies do make bulbs with canbus option labeled on them. Basically like you said adding resistors in them to satisfy the likes of the vehicles canbus system so it doesnt throw codes. GTR Lighting makes some of the highest quality bulbs and they do have a 3157 CANBUS Bulb for the Turn/Brake light but i have yet to order them. There priced at $69 for the pair, the look and build quality of them looks great. In time i may order them and do a quick review.
I can get into specifics somewhat, some vehicles might have a communication system on the bulb circuits that a chip might send a communication over it, like CAN Bus works, how exactly that works with a dumb incandescent bulb is a mystery to me..... ...so I suspect they are just using resistors and using word salad to give you the impression something more is going on.....

Of course if you're talking a 4 watt 194 bulb, you could build a 3.5 watt resistor into it and it would produce 3.5 watts of heat which is probably ok for the plastic and fixtures..... ...and likely these CANBus bulbs are only that, they have resistors built into them to do the same as installing a resistor on the circuit to do the same thing...

Keep in mind, the wattage of a bulb goes mostly to making light and little bit of heat, and they still get pretty hot, imagine if all the wattage went to just making heat with no light, which is what a resistor does, that resistor will get a hotter than a bulb......

But the WK2 is not one of them, its simply if the circuit draws too little current, that will be seen as a burnt out bulb and the BCM will react with a warning and hyper flashing.....

The only way to trick the WK2 for its turn signals (other than FCADiag/AlfaOBD to turn the hyperflash/warning feature off) is too draw as much current as the specified incandescent bulb....
But wait, an lead draws like 1/20th of the current for an equal amount of light..... ....so that 2 watt LED you put in replace of a 27 watt incandescent bulb is going to fall way short of the current draw the BCM is looking for, even though its making the same or more light than the incandescent bulb......

An LED bulb that doesn't cause hypeflashing/warnings on a WK2 turn signal circuit has to be drawing the same amount of current...... ...it either has to be overloaded on LED elements creating many times more light than the legal bulb, using resistors or a combination of both......

25-26 watt of heat out of a resistor is going to really hot, like melt the socket/light fixture hot.....

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
358 Posts
So i just ordered these bulbs from GTR Lighting. Its there new 2.0 CANBUS LED Bulbs in Red. The led bulbs i have in now work with no resistors but their output is nothing better than stock. Will report back when i receive these and install them.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
I can get into specifics somewhat, some vehicles might have a communication system on the bulb circuits that a chip might send a communication over it, like CAN Bus works, how exactly that works with a dumb incandescent bulb is a mystery to me..... ...so I suspect they are just using resistors and using word salad to give you the impression something more is going on.....

Of course if you're talking a 4 watt 194 bulb, you could build a 3.5 watt resistor into it and it would produce 3.5 watts of heat which is probably ok for the plastic and fixtures..... ...and likely these CANBus bulbs are only that, they have resistors built into them to do the same as installing a resistor on the circuit to do the same thing...

Keep in mind, the wattage of a bulb goes mostly to making light and little bit of heat, and they still get pretty hot, imagine if all the wattage went to just making heat with no light, which is what a resistor does, that resistor will get a hotter than a bulb......

But the WK2 is not one of them, its simply if the circuit draws too little current, that will be seen as a burnt out bulb and the BCM will react with a warning and hyper flashing.....

The only way to trick the WK2 for its turn signals (other than FCADiag/AlfaOBD to turn the hyperflash/warning feature off) is too draw as much current as the specified incandescent bulb....
But wait, an lead draws like 1/20th of the current for an equal amount of light..... ....so that 2 watt LED you put in replace of a 27 watt incandescent bulb is going to fall way short of the current draw the BCM is looking for, even though its making the same or more light than the incandescent bulb......

An LED bulb that doesn't cause hypeflashing/warnings on a WK2 turn signal circuit has to be drawing the same amount of current...... ...it either has to be overloaded on LED elements creating many times more light than the legal bulb, using resistors or a combination of both......

25-26 watt of heat out of a resistor is going to really hot, like melt the socket/light fixture hot.....
Regular incandescent bulbs get very hot. They do not melt either the mount or the lenses. It would follow that there is no theoretical reason why an LED bulb could not be built which includes an appropriate resistor to generate enough current draw to satisfy the computer so it doesn't think the bulb is burnt out. A heat sink could be part of the bulb structure such that the assembly could be placed in the same socket and lens without any problem. I presume that is how LED bulbs which don't confuse the computer are made. It seems likely they could be designed with somewhat less current draw and heat then an incandescent of similar brightness. If anyone has such an LED bulb that doesn't trigger the computer it would be interesting to measure it's current draw compared to an LED which does trigger the computer and compared to the original incandescent bulbs current draw.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts