Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 JGC Limited Hemi

Dammit, 2nd time in just over a year. Is there any way to activate a default timed auto shutoff, if the car was left idling by mistake, after parking and retiring for the night? If not, I'm going to make sure there is a post-it note right next to the push button. Thanks

· Registered
979 Posts
😂
I appreciate your honesty. You’ll be fine. We have 6.4 hemi service trucks at work they only shut off for fuel and idle 80% of the time. you’ll be fine.

People will be quick to jump on here and scare you into thinking you’re going to take out your lifter needle bearings/wipe out your cam lobes…🙄 you’re fine.

· Registered
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
636 Posts
You just need to get in the habit of checking the tach or the start/stop button to make sure it’s not running when you get out. The engines are quiet enough, and with some hearing loss, I have gotten out a couple of times and only noticed the engine was running when I was walking away. Now I always double check the dashboard. I would probably ignore a sticky note after a while. And , of course, there is an audible warning when you take the key fob out while the engine is running, but if the environment is noisy or your hearing is not 100% that can be missed. It’s best to just adopt the habit of double checking When you’re getting out. People have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they left a car running in an indoor garage, so getting into some good habits can be important.

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,133 Posts
Sounds like you need a louder Exhaust :D But to answer your question No there is no Automatic shut off that can be enabled. But anything is possible if your good with wiring and time relays and logic circuits. You could potentially use a OB2 reader a Raspberry PI that reads the computer speed or current gear selected and If Speed is 0 and Park engaged wait 10 minutes and Trigger a Fuel Pump cut but your battery will still drain out and die. or Figure out way to simulate a Button press for the start button.

There is also a reason why remote starts are limited to 15 minutes.. because people are genius and remote start there cars in the garages all time. other countries remote start is illegal even

· Registered
2019 Jeep Compass Sport
143 Posts
That's the good thing about having an actual physical key in the ignition switch. You are more likely to take it with you and turn off the vehicle. On our other car I was able to change the push button switch to the key mode but not on the Jeep.

· Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
404 Posts
My sister-in-law did something similar, but with more serious outcome. She pulled into the driveway in her Chrysler minivan while on the phone. She stopped, but didn't put the van in park. The auto start stop turned the engine off. When she finished her phone call, she hung up, and started to get out. As soon as she did that, the engine started and since there was no foot on the brake, the van lurched forward and ran into the corner of the house.

Keith

· Registered
5,395 Posts
The only real danger in leaving the engine run all night is if its parked in a garage especially a garage attached to the house from deadly carbon monixide.

Far as long idles, its not good for the engine but policeman leave their squad cars idle for extremely long periods.
But then again police make up for long idles by de-facto Italian tuneups chasing speeders or rushing to some emergency.

Reactions: philbytx

· Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. The bottom line is, perhaps this can be called a 'good accident' - a valuable lesson that cost only $20 of gas', a tiny bit of wear, and wounded pride. And the louder exhaust is a good idea, so I'm gonna check it out...

· Registered
775 Posts
Okay, I gotta pipe in here, first off the fact that the Jeep was left running all night “2nd” time says to me put your damned phone down and pay attention to your surroundings.
Secondly it’s not good for any engine minus a diesel to idle for long period's of time, why you might as?, coolant and lubrication are not operating optimally.
Ever been stuck on traffic on hot day and the A/C keeps cycling trying to coo you down.

Police vehicle’s have Police motor’s, they ain’t built the same as Civilian unit’s, and most Agencies have mileage and time constraints placed on them, have you ever seen a Police vehicle that has over 75-80k on them? Generally if they hit more than 40k in 2 years they’re replaced or put to parking enforcement or some other mundane responsibility like School safety, D.A.R.E., etc....

Last but not least Chrysler Hemi’s being true powerhouse’s have some short comings. Ben an owner of 2 of them. They aren’t a true “Hemi” as they aren’t hemispherical as the true post era hemi’s were. They blow exhaust manifolds and cams plain and simple, oiling is an issue and by leaving it running all night isn’t good, is it gonna blow your engine, nope, but it didn’t do it any good either.
Mac

· Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, what a nice discuss discourse we are having here. Okay, to clarify, thanks to all of you who offered fair and reasonable responses - to a fair and reasonable query. To the others... I made a very minor mistake 410 days apart. Nobody got run over, the car is not in the shop, and it was a valuable, and cheap lesson. But the trolls obviously have bigger problems. BTW, I rarely use my phone, never in the car. It was equivalent of leaving a credit card at the store, losing a book or keys, dropping a dish, etc... The little mental mistakes that trolls never make, of course.
A feature that shuts off the engine when the owner and keys are 200 yards away, asleep, is not rocket science. Rather than play the blame game, I started with a useful suggestion. We are problem solving animals, although sometimes there is no compelling need for one. Seatbelts, yes. My tiny mistake, maybe not. Be kind, please rewind. Thanks again...

· Registered
5,395 Posts
....... It was equivalent of leaving a credit card at the store, losing a book or keys......
I can relate to both of the above. :rolleyes:

Not only did i leave a credit card inside a gas station store but 2 credit cards and 1 debit card somehow must of fell out of my wallet.
Luckily an honest person found them and a honest checkout woman kept them until i came back about a half hour later.

Losing keys? Yep lost my WK2 fob shortly after buying my then brand new WK2.

Far as i can remember never lost a book but have definitely misplaced them resulting in long time consuming searches.
We're all human and sometimes learn by our mistakes or carelessness.

· Registered
81 Posts
My sister-in-law did something similar, but with more serious outcome. She pulled into the driveway in her Chrysler minivan while on the phone. She stopped, but didn't put the van in park. The auto start stop turned the engine off. When she finished her phone call, she hung up, and started to get out. As soon as she did that, the engine started and since there was no foot on the brake, the van lurched forward and ran into the corner of the house.

Keith
Duh...

· Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Years ago, a woman bolted out of the store parking spot and nearly t-boned me as i was driving by, but we both panic-stopped at the last micro-second. When I looked at her directly to my left, she held a phone at her ear, and her mouth was wide open, with a shocked expression.
Now that could have sent my car to the shop. Regardless, always a true believer in 'Drive Now, Talk/text Later' (Thanks Click and Clack).

Hawk

· Registered
775 Posts
Hawk, my friend it’s good to see you can take a ribbing, I tend to have two traits when I respond to an OP’s issue, one is usually or generally informative and the other is usually generally informally sarcastic.🧐 Mac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts