21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
CARB has your Vin number already, thanks to GDE
You do not respond to GDE form.
You will not be able register vehicle.
Would not surprise me if CARB, Goes after owners using illegal smog defeat tune.
Laws and fines already on the books, for tampering with vehicle smog equipment.
Are you positive or speculating that there will fines to GDE tune purchasers? How can CARB be certain that those that purchased the tune actually installed it, or used it on public roads/highways? What about those that have a 2nd ECU?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very simple, if you are insured for street use. Which is reported by your insurance company to California DMV.
You are screwed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My guess is if you submit paperwork that you had the V08 ECM update done, CARB will leave you alone...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Geez people. You and only you made the decision to tune your vehicle. If you thought it was 100% legal, shame on you. If you thought you didn't need a spare ECM, shame on you. I could go on and on. Time to take a peek in the mirror.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very simple, if you are insured for street use. Which is reported by your insurance company to California DMV.
You are screwed.
There are no laws against modifying a street legal vehicle when used off road. Its entirely lawful to use a tuned computer in your street registered and insured vehicle when off-highway and then swap it back to untuned for on-highway use. They could only go after/hold up your registration and even that would be probably not legal footing. There wouldnt be any real grounds to ticket/fine/arrest you unless they actually find that you used the tune on road.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Some of you say GDE 'happily' gave CARB owner info. Your drama cracks me up. GDE isn't happily doing anything. Think they're happy about having to close up shop?

Again, you all knew the risks when buying the tune. Placing blame on anyone but yourself at this point is shortsighted.

Quit the complaining and buy a used ECM. Drop the truck at the dealer, install the used ECM, and tell them to make it work. End of story. Have my spare $300 ecm here already.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Some of you say GDE 'happily' gave CARB owner info. Your drama cracks me up. GDE isn't happily doing anything. Think they're happy about having to close up shop?

Again, you all knew the risks when buying the tune. Placing blame on anyone but yourself at this point is shortsighted.

Quit the complaining and buy a used ECM. Drop the truck at the dealer, install the used ECM, and tell them to make it work. End of story. Have my spare $300 ecm here already.
They gave up the information before there was a settlement, probably hoping to save the business some cash and survive. Its pretty clear from the settlement agreement.

I dont think anyone is blaming someone else for their choice in getting a tune and knowing the risks. Like I said at the beginning, if they had been forced to turn over data through a subpoena that would be a different story, but who is to blame for giving up customer data and who is to blame for buying a tune that is not legal to drive on-highway are two different stories.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I asked them to provide a link/survey that can be used by people who dont have a google account and I got no response. Certainly doesnt seem very official to me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Let’s face it, how many people used GDE tune for off road use? Not many.
GDE knew illegal tune was being used for street use. GDE profited from illegal sales
Now GDE. going to do what ever it takes to lessen penalties.
GDE customer you are screwed..

·
Registered
52 Posts
It doesnt matter how many used it for off-road. It matters whether the subject person used it for on-road, there is no guilt by association.

Screwed is really not right anyway, this is far from the first company to be targeted by CARB, their list of wins is long against tuning companies, and yet no individual buyers of tunes in the past have been targeted as a result of showing up on the list.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Let’s face it, how many people used GDE tune for off road use? Not many.
GDE knew illegal tune was being used for street use. GDE profited from illegal sales
Now GDE. going to do what ever it takes to lessen penalties.
GDE customer you are screwed..
This guy is just eating this up, sitting back and repeatedly reminding GDE customers they're screwed.

If you can't be helpful, just be quiet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I asked them to provide a link/survey that can be used by people who dont have a google account and I got no response. Certainly doesnt seem very official to me.
My speculation is that GDE's lawyer had them do this to show they are doing all they can to educate their customers to minimize penalties from CARB.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There are no laws against modifying a street legal vehicle when used off road. Its entirely lawful to use a tuned computer in your street registered and insured vehicle when off-highway and then swap it back to untuned for on-highway use. They could only go after/hold up your registration and even that would be probably not legal footing. There wouldnt be any real grounds to ticket/fine/arrest you unless they actually find that you used the tune on road.
This seems difficult for CARB to prove evidently.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My speculation is that GDE's lawyer had them do this to show they are doing all they can to educate their customers to minimize penalties from CARB.
Its a compliance plan required by their settlement agreement. #9 under "Terms and Release". Theyve already agreed to the penalties they are paying to CARB and SEP programs, as far as GDE is involved theyre done with the CARB thing except for having to do this compliance plan.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bounty,
GDE got off way to easy, $25,000 very minimal fine for CARB.
Have feeling GDE sold out it’s customer’s, to save their butts?
CARB looking to make money off smog cheats.
Have feeling CARB, will go after customers, GDE provided them.
It’s all about CARB bringing in fine money now, to look good.
What do you think?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
260 Posts
I've always wondered why CARB existed. I get the intent behind it but there's no other type of agency of its kind in other States, then again LA has reportedly the worst air quality of any city for whatever reason.
I agree it's all on the consumer but damn I didn't think companies would sell you out like that. Do K&N or similar companies do the same thing if you buy an non-CARB air intake?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've always wondered why CARB existed. I get the intent behind it but there's no other type of agency of its kind in other States, then again LA has reportedly the worst air quality of any city for whatever reason.
I agree it's all on the consumer but damn I didn't think companies would sell you out like that. Do K&N or similar companies do the same thing if you buy an non-CARB air intake?
CARB has done great job in California for air quality.
Can remember going to Disneyland as kid, from San Francisco. By end of night had trouble breathing, from smog.
Today no problems breathing in Southern California,
K&N, most products have been CARB approved.
GDE tune, major change to smog equipment on diesel motor. GDE, knew very well tune was illegal. Milked, off road use only, as long as they could. Made nice profit taken bank, sold out customers for only $25,000 fine.
How many off road only diesel Jeeps, 2014 and up have you seen or posted? Most all off road Jeeps are gas, lot more aftermarket products available, for a reason.
Air intake and exhaust systems that retain cats, little smog output increase.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bounty,
GDE got off way to easy, $25,000 very minimal fine for CARB.
Have feeling GDE sold out it’s customer’s, to save their butts?
CARB looking to make money off smog cheats.
Have feeling CARB, will go after customers, GDE provided them.
It’s all about CARB bringing in fine money now, to look good.
What do you think?
GDE was actually fined $50,000 all told. CARB is just looking for compliance. If they were really about bringing in fine money, CARB could have gone for the whole potential fine of $22,012,500 for the 587 illegal CA tunes. Granted, GDE doesn't have that kind of money, but the headline would still state "CARB levels $22M fine"...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Halfdeaf,
CARB knows GDE cannot pay $22 million fine. $50,000 fine, joke for profits, GDE made off illegal tune.
That’s why CARB wants customers who used illegal tune. Most GDE customers used tune for street use. Are liable for $thousands in fines.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Halfdeaf,
CARB knows GDE cannot pay $22 million fine. $50,000 fine, joke for profits, GDE made off illegal tune.
That’s why CARB wants customers who used illegal tune. Most GDE customers used tune for street use. Are liable for $thousands in fines.
Again, CARB just wants compliance. What are they gonna do - call your Jeep in for a program check of your ECM? They know you bought the tune - they can't prove how you used it.
If you have a legal program on your installed ECM (whether that be a V08 over-write or having the original untuned ECM), what can CARB do to you?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts