Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
the roads are built with tax dollars, you 'imply consent' with motor vehicle laws and are then allowed to use the roads - if you follow the laws and regulations. CA can and will block the registration of a vehicle in that state, or even revoke/suspend the registration if they have proof you are violating the law. this is why you must provide proof that you aren't, after all if you have the tune and are using it off road only then it wouldn't matter to you if your vehicle can't be registered for street use.

GDE knew what they were doing, as did those of us who bought the tune. pay to play ... it was indeed a bitter pill to lose the tune and the money I spent, i even posted about year before i bought the damn tune my concerns buying something that customers truly never really possessed but alas i ignored my instincts and went ahead with it. wish i didn't know how much better it was with the tune, would be far easier to be blissfully ignorant - but it 'is what it is' now and i've just decided to keep the jeep b/c of the warranty and drive it into the ground. It's not a fun vehicle anymore, but it's a 'first world problem' to be unhappy driving a JGC limited that has a fantastic warranty now - so i keep my perspective and move on to things that matter.

One need only watch the US political drama to see how people flip on each other when faced with consequences - why would GDE go up against CARB in a losing bid to avoid providing the documentation when hit with legal process? Few are loyal and willing to take the hit if they can roll and mitigate their exposure, whether it's civil or criminal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
after all if you have the tune and are using it off road only then it wouldn't matter to you if your vehicle can't be registered for street use.
Very wrong. You can use "illegal" smog mods off-road and then switch to legal for on-road. There are A LOT of people who run not street legal things on track or off-road and then put legal parts back for on road. The most obvious being slicks on track, but there are a number of other parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
GDE tune, major change to smog equipment on diesel motor.
Its fairly obvious you dont know anything about the GDE tune. GDE kept the DPF and the DEF systems. Very few of their tunes were for actual major changes to smog equipment.

That’s why CARB wants customers who used illegal tune. Most GDE customers used tune for street use. Are liable for $thousands in fines.
Since very few of the tunes actually remove any emissions items, the fine is not "$thousands". The fine per person would generally be less than $1,000 and at the worst sends you to the ref, which really wouldnt even be a big deal if all you have is the tune. This is the reason they dont end up going after the buyers in this case, the bureaucratic cost of going after 587 different individuals is well above what they would get back in fines/

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is how I see it. CARB busted GDE for several different reasons, one of them being not trying hard enough to dissuade CA customers. They reached a settlement, CARB forces you to return to stock, GDE pays the stock reflash fee, and now you lost a $700 tune that should have never been sold to you.

I feel bad for GDE, I do, but it would make more sense if GDE also reimbursed these illegal sales. They profited from customers losses.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I feel like you're ignoring the fact that the customer knowingly bought something that is illegal to run where they live (CA). Why should GDE be on the hook for the customer getting busted buying something they knew was illegal in their state?
Exactly. It's always been buyer beware. Everyone has known they were buying tunes illegal to use on roadways. Then they get caught red-handed and hate on the the seller lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
GDE just like drug dealer.
Why blame drug dealer for making profit? Buyer knows drugs are illegal.
GDE, may also have to deal with EPA.
Federal crime to tamper with emissions equipment.
GDE has already admitted to emissions tampering with CARB. Will be slam dunk for justice department.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Very wrong. You can use "illegal" smog mods off-road and then switch to legal for on-road. There are A LOT of people who run not street legal things on track or off-road and then put legal parts back for on road. The most obvious being slicks on track, but there are a number of other parts.
incorrect. in this case, just like with the parts you take on/off for the track, you would have your compliant part with AEM and your off-road part with off-road tune. as long as you have two and prove that to CARB, one is compliant, that's probably the end of the issue for you/carb/registering your vehicle for on-road use. if you can't prove it, then you 'may' have an issue. so if you're really taking it on/off, it's all good ... if you're lying ... not good enjoy the battle

·
Registered
171 Posts
Its fairly obvious you dont know anything about the GDE tune. GDE kept the DPF and the DEF systems. Very few of their tunes were for actual major changes to smog equipment.

Since very few of the tunes actually remove any emissions items, the fine is not "$thousands". The fine per person would generally be less than $1,000 and at the worst sends you to the ref, which really wouldnt even be a big deal if all you have is the tune. This is the reason they dont end up going after the buyers in this case, the bureaucratic cost of going after 587 different individuals is well above what they would get back in fines/
VW had a DPF and depending on the vehicle a SCR system too, yet they put out NOx numbers off the chart. You can keep these systems but changing the tables in the computer will increase HC CO NOx etc. even with the after treatment.

The whole system down to the air filter will all effect tail pipe emissions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received the letter below from GDE via email and they are asking me to complete an online response form with my name, vin#, purchase date. It seems self-incriminating to complete this form for them to submit my info to CARB (California Air Resources Board). Can CARB legally force GDE to provide customer info? FYI, I already had my AEM update performed by my Jeep dealership.

Please share you thoughts. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Green Diesel Engineering
1032 Rig Street
Commerce Township, MI 48390
Dear Customer,
You are receiving this letter because you purchased a diesel engine tuning product from Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) prior to November 7, 2017 and, at that time, the product was shipped to an address in California.
We are taking this opportunity to inform you, our customer, that GDE received a Notice of Violation from the California Air Resources Board (hereafter called “CARB”) in November 2017 stating that our “for off-road use only” disclaimer was not sufficient for selling our product in California. All products sold up to that date were under the disclaimer that it was to be used on a closed course circuit and for off-road racing use only. In addition, our product was not legal for sale, offer for sale, installation, or use in California, unless its use was exclusively for racing purposes and the vehicle was never driven on a public highway. As part of our continued support of CARB’s review of the matter, we identified our customers. You are receiving this letter, because our records indicate that you purchased one of our products that are not legal in California.
Part of our settlement with CARB requires a compliance campaign. The first part of this campaign consists of a response form, which we will be emailing to you. You must complete the form and return it to GDE. If you are no longer the owner of the affected vehicle(s) please let us know, and where possible please share the current owner’s information. If your vehicle is no longer registered in the State of California please let us know that as well.
The second part of the compliance campaign requires customers with the GDE flash tool to install the stock tuning in the vehicle as soon as possible. Customers with Ecodiesel GDE tunes must go to the dealer and have them reinstall the stock tune. Please email us a receipt showing it was completed, so that we can reimburse you for your expenses. Vehicles with a GDE tune are legal in California only for racing vehicles which may never be used, or registered or licensed for use, upon a highway. If you do not have the GDE tune removed, CARB may take remedial action, including, but not limited to requesting the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) block your California registration. This may prevent you from selling or re-registering your vehicle in California.
Please direct any questions regarding this correspondence to: [email protected] . Our normal support email address is not able to address specific questions regarding this matter at this time.
Kind regards
Green Diesel Engineering
UNQUOTE:
If you still live in CA...that's one of the liabilities you encumber. The letter is pretty clear to me and it appears companies are legally bound to abide by a state's law. So, you risk a registration problem for not concurring. They do have all you information...what they are looking for is if you still live in CA.

·
Registered
171 Posts
They do have all you information...what they are looking for is if you still live in CA.
Or if you have had the AEM performed, or sold the vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I reached out to GDE a few weeks ago asking aboiut a blank or AEM configured ECM for my jeep. I was advised that they cannot even sell the ECMs blank or with the Jeep original or AEM update. I guess it is something to do with their settlement. So my question s where can I get a spare ECM? I am kicking myself because I was so close to keeping my original (and then AEM) tune on a spare ECM for a just in case situation. .

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
333 Posts
I reached out to GDE a few weeks ago asking aboiut a blank or AEM configured ECM for my jeep. I was advised that they cannot even sell the ECMs blank or with the Jeep original or AEM update. I guess it is something to do with their settlement. So my question s where can I get a spare ECM? I am kicking myself because I was so close to keeping my original (and then AEM) tune on a spare ECM for a just in case situation. .
You can find a spare at a used parts dealer or junkyard. Buy AlfaOBD and a bluetooth OBD dongle, then program your VIN and the injector codes. Easy as that, you'll be out less than $400 starting from scratch: $250-300 used ECM, $49 AlfaOBD, $20-80 OBD dongle.

·
Registered
847 Posts
You can find a spare at a used parts dealer or junkyard. Buy AlfaOBD and a bluetooth OBD dongle, then program your VIN and the injector codes. Easy as that, you'll be out less than $400 starting from scratch: $250-300 used ECM, $49 AlfaOBD, $20-80 OBD dongle.
But the kicker is you must find a junkyard ECM without the AEM update already installed. When a dealer plugs in to do the AEM, they will see if the software is at the current AEM version. They also install a authorized software sticker on the updated ECM. So it's not as easy to find as one thinks.

·
Registered
952 Posts
But the kicker is you must find a junkyard ECM without the AEM update already installed. When a dealer plugs in to do the AEM, they will see if the software is at the current AEM version. They also install a authorized software sticker on the updated ECM. So it's not as easy to find as one thinks.
The chances of the AEM being installed on a junkyard ECM are extremely low, and will likely remain that way for a while. Even if you went for the AEM install with an ECM that's already had it, they will know by VIN and the lack of the sticker that the AEM hasn't been applied to the truck. They'll apply the AEM and the decal just to pacify the requirement for number of updates.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The chances of the AEM being installed on a junkyard ECM are extremely low, and will likely remain that way for a while. Even if you went for the AEM install with an ECM that's already had it, they will know by VIN and the lack of the sticker that the AEM hasn't been applied to the truck. They'll apply the AEM and the decal just to pacify the requirement for number of updates.
I'm going to try and get a junk yard ECM that hopefully hasn't been already flashed. Thanks for the info.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts