Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

New to the site, but have been a Jeep owner for a while. I am, however, new at entertaining the thought of putting either a leveling kit or lift kit on my Jeep. I have a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited 75th Anniversary addition 4x4, without the air suspension. Thus I'm interested in one of those two options.

I know this subject has probably been addressed over and over again, but your input on some of my questions would be helpful. You may be able to see some of the pros and/or cons to each that I am not aware of.

For what it's worth, primary use of the vehicle is a daily driver, but I also take it off road often for outdoor activities. I am not rock climbing nor looking to push the boundary of the 4x4 system on the Jeep, but I do use the 4x4 in dirt, rock, sand, snow...etc.

Option 1- Put a leveling kit up front. Pros/Cons to just adding a spacer? If I did this, which leveling kit would you suggest? Does anyone have experience with this in your Grand Cherokee? Does it sag in the back once you load it up with gear? Ride quality good?

Option 2- Put a lift kit on. Specifically, I am interested in the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit. Anyone have experience with that setup? Pro/Cons? I heard that by installing this kit, the front of the Jeep still sags lower, is that true? Did you level it out also?

As a sub-question to Option 2, if I did the lift kit, I would probably want to put on bigger tires naturally. Currently, my Jeep has 30.5" diameter tires. 265 width. (265x50x20). I have heard that putting 33" tires on it would require re-gearing, however, what about a 32" tire? Would I still need to re-gear? Currently, the stock gear ratio of the Jeep is 3.45 I believe. I found several 275x55x20 tires that would give it that extra 1.5" diameter. Thoughts on this?

Also, if I went with the 275 tire (slightly wider than my 265), would I run into any rubbing issues or need wheel spacers?

Any thoughts, experiences, tips, or suggestions are appreciated!

Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
Option 1- Put a leveling kit up front. Pros/Cons to just adding a spacer? If I did this, which leveling kit would you suggest? Does anyone have experience with this in your Grand Cherokee? Does it sag in the back once you load it up with gear? Ride quality good?

I would personally NEVER run or suggest a spacer lift because. 1. They limit uptravel 2. They DON'T limit downtravel. 3. They cause UNNEEDED stress on the UCA's and that is why RRO sells their own brand of UCA's to replace the problem they know and make money off of it. You spent a good chunk of change on your vehicle, don't cheap out on the suspension. Also if I have to replace another part (UCA) to run a certain part, does that make any sense?

Also look at the links and pics I posted for more information.

Option 2- Put a lift kit on. Specifically, I am interested in the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit. Anyone have experience with that setup? Pro/Cons? I heard that by installing this kit, the front of the Jeep still sags lower, is that true? Did you level it out also?
OME is a very good suspension setup. The reason the front sits lower is because they keep the factory rake which is for towing reasons. Not everyone who tows wants to have their nose way up in the air while their rear is under load. Plus I'm sure with the rear sitting lower that throws off the the balance of a vehicle while driving. You can add the Trim packers to the front to bring it up a little if you want more level.

There is also Eibach lift that you can run and little cheaper than OME.

As a sub-question to Option 2, if I did the lift kit, I would probably want to put on bigger tires naturally. Currently, my Jeep has 30.5" diameter tires. 265 width. (265x50x20). I have heard that putting 33" tires on it would require re-gearing, however, what about a 32" tire? Would I still need to re-gear? Currently, the stock gear ratio of the Jeep is 3.45 I believe. I found several 275x55x20 tires that would give it that extra 1.5" diameter. Thoughts on this?
These can not be re-geared, luckily you have the 3.45 gears. Also with a 33" tire you would need to do the pinch seam mod and inner wheel well trimming. If you stay with a 32" tire you'll be fine and MIGHT need a little trimming, but that also depends on what rims and offset you are running. If you're staying OEM wheels you'll be fine.

Also, if I went with the 275 tire (slightly wider than my 265), would I run into any rubbing issues or need wheel spacers?
Again this depends on the rim and offset you are running.

Video further explaining the use of spacers

Why not to run spacers, READ

Another READ

Suspension part Auto part

Different tire sizes.....

Text Design Line Parallel Font

Registered
[U]CHeYeNNe71[/U] doesn't care for spacer style leveling kits at all. But they do have a place. It's all in what you need and how you use your Jeep. I have a 4x2 and it won't see anything more challenging than dirt roads, so I chose to go with a 2" Rough Country leveling kit. It rides and drives like stock and sits almost perfectly level. I'm running 285/50-20 (32x11.50) Nitto Terra Grapplers on the OEM wheels with no rubbing at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.