Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty straight from Chrysler when I bought my 2012 GC Overland Summit new over 10 years ago. 197K miles later I still love her to pieces. Had some minor warranty claims along the way, with the most recent about 2 years ago when the rear wiper motor failed. Now, she's at the dealer with air suspension issues, along with rack and pinion assembly and oil pan leak. When the dealer called me to say there's an issue with my warranty and I need to call them (Chrysler), my spidey senses said here we go. I called and they said...after confirming they had my correct email and phone number and address...that my plan is pending cancellation and that I need to send them a current copy of my registration and driver's license. I'm like you couldn't call or email me this? What a crock. Anyway, I send it and now they are telling the dealer it could be a week before the "system" updates. I call bullcrap. I'm waiting to hear what excuse they will use to get out of covering those items that are specifically listed. Thank goodness for my '99 TJ! At least I have wheels!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Always great to have a backup or two vehicles.

It could be the estimated repairs exceed the blue book value of the Jeep so the so called life time warranty officially expired.
Hope this isn't the case and you get it back on the road.

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
Yes, "Lifetime" isn't your lifetime or how long you own the vehicle. Per the contract language, once the cost of repair exceeds the ACV of the vehicle, they cut you a check for the ACV and bid you a good day.

But why you would need ID is a different situation unless it was to be sure that you were the actual person who bought the Mopar Lifetime Maximum Care Extended Service Contract because with only one or two exceptions, is not transferable.

Reactions: Ben911

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm the actual single owner of the vehicle who bought the service contract the same day I bought the vehicle off the lot...even used it over the past 10 years. That's why I'm at a loss as to why Chrysler would just flag it like that and draw out the process. As to the repairs, we are still getting past the "pending cancellation" snafu before we can get to the repairs. I'm okay with book value vs. repair costs, but have to get there first. Repairs are around 5K and NADA lists it around 7K because of high mileage. Will update the thread when I hear more from the dealer/Chrysler.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Prob want to ensure everything is on the up and up. While these warranties can be a money maker, how many people hold on to their vehicle for this long and continue to use the warranty? Higher the miles, increase chance of issues - loop holes as other post indicate

·
Premium Member
2022 Grand Cherokee Overland
282 Posts
this is the plan I bought, wonder what lifetime costs . .
6/75 MAXIMUM CARE
EFFECTIVE: 01/10/2020
EXPIRES: 01/10/2026 OR 75,000 MI
As I recall they stopped offering Lifetime a few years ago.....

Reactions: THAZ

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee L Laredo 3.6L V6 Pentastar
44 Posts
We have been very happy with a couple 2008 MOPARs purchased with lifetime bumper-to-bumper, dealers have repaired struts, ac, alternators etc.

I wonder how many of these issues are motivated by specific dealers wanting to eliminate another low paying warranty car from the road?

·
Registered
478 Posts
The last year you could get the Lifetime Service Contract was Nov of 2018. I got one on the wife's Sahara, also have one on her 2015 Overland. They must loose money on them because us cheap ars mopar people keep our vehichles long term. Have gotten a Hemi water pump and radiator( wasnt the radiator) and 2 coolant changes out of it so far on the Overland and nothing on the Sahara.

IMHO you wont loose because sooner or later you will need and altenator, WP, Starter and suspension work.

I also have 2 Maxcare on my 17 SRT Challenger and 20 Rubicon, Challenger is in shop today for first time for loss of the GPS on the 8.4 NAv, will see what happens.

OP I would document the current Retail for your Jeep and make sure they dont short you, if the value is 7K and the repairs 5K, they owe you the repairs since the value is still higher.

Current used car values are helping in this regard

Please keep us up to date as to what happens.

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
I don't see any issue for ID including registration to prove that the person presenting for coverage is the original buyer/owner, especially if it's been some time since any previous claim(s). This is because of the non-transferability and the nature of "some" people. As to coverage and valuation, it's important to remember that these extended service contracts (they are not "warranties" legally) are essentially insurance policies and coverage decisions are based on the same actuarial methods that "regular" insurance companies use when it comes to the lifetime situation governed by the contract language. Claims need to be approved from "on high" accordingly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see any issue for ID including registration to prove that the person presenting for coverage is the original buyer/owner, especially if it's been some time since any previous claim(s). This is because of the non-transferability and the nature of "some" people. As to coverage and valuation, it's important to remember that these extended service contracts (they are not "warranties" legally) are essentially insurance policies and coverage decisions are based on the same actuarial methods that "regular" insurance companies use when it comes to the lifetime situation governed by the contract language. Claims need to be approved from "on high" accordingly.
I don't have a problem with that either, but do have a problem with them placing the warranty into "pending cancellation" without reaching out to me considering the warranty was used just 2 years ago. Finding out about it right when my vehicle is in the shop and then having the process of repairs extended because of this is just bad customer service.

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
I would certainly be upset, too. But it's also important to find out exactly what they mean by "pending cancellation" and "why". I hope you can get that information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would certainly be upset, too. But it's also important to find out exactly what they mean by "pending cancellation" and "why". I hope you can get that information.
Hi Jim. Chrysler told me it was pending cancellation because they needed a current copy of the registration along with my driver's license. I have no problem providing that, but found it frustrating that Chrysler waited until my dealer contacted them about the current claim to say anything. It's almost as if they (Chrysler) were trying to quietly take my vehicle off the warranty rolls without notifying anyone. I get it, but it's dishonest, in my opinion. Anyway, fingers crossed all will go well with this repair. I will post updates as I get more information.

·
Administrator
11,624 Posts
I really do think it was mostly to verify that you, the original owner, was still the owner as required by the contract. But no matter, hopefully, you will get things taken care of soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don’t forget exclusions for “wear and tear“ and “design defects”.
Yeah...I'm expecting that. Hoping the dealer will assist with the right diagnosis and verbiage. Still in a holding pattern as we wait for the system to update to reflect that my lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranty is still valid. Have to say, this particular dealer (for maintenance) has been awesome so far. I've had some in the past that were not. Again, will let everyone here know the outcome once I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, the admin stuff is a pain but it is what it is. I am very glad to hear that at almost 200k miles you have gone 2 years without a major claim and you're just now getting to major suspension work - that is encouraging. I have 136k miles on a 2015 Summit - no suspension work but have had some pretty major repairs in the past two years. Of course all handled by MaxCare with no problems. I hope the next few are as good as yours have been because I actually do not not like the look of the new GC - I just don't like the way the front end looks - go figger. Also, I want the Summit trim but that only comes in two tone - unless you want black. I'm old school that left two tone behind decades ago - geesh all these first world problems. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, the admin stuff is a pain but it is what it is. I am very glad to hear that at almost 200k miles you have gone 2 years without a major claim and you're just now getting to major suspension work - that is encouraging. I have 136k miles on a 2015 Summit - no suspension work but have had some pretty major repairs in the past two years. Of course all handled by MaxCare with no problems. I hope the next few are as good as yours have been because I actually do not not like the look of the new GC - I just don't like the way the front end looks - go figger. Also, I want the Summit trim but that only comes in two tone - unless you want black. I'm old school that left two tone behind decades ago - geesh all these first world problems. Good luck with yours.
Ha ha! I'm with you on the new GC...just don't like the look. Even now, as I wait on the fate of mine, I find myself looking at 2018 or 2019 JGC's. Just love the look. Of course, love mine and want that one back, but nearly 200,000 miles makes me realistic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts