Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have a 2012 JKU (Manual Transmission, Half Doors) which I bought from what is now Russell Westbrook CDJR in Van Nuys, CA. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the temp gauge needle was hanging around 3/4 of max. No lights, no smells, no vapors, and no appreciable reduction in performance. Eager to keep my JKU in shape, I called service immediately and they told me to bring it in, which I immediately did.

A tech looked at the car and noticed the coolant reservoir was all but empty, and said there may be a leak. After a few days, I was shocked to learn that a cascading failure which started at the fan (which was blowing backwards - how does that even happen?) caused the head gasket to blow, the head to warp, and the block to warp.

I purchased the car with a Lifetime Warranty, so while shocked at the severity of the damage at 65k miles, I was relieved to know that I had said Warranty. Or so I thought... My dealer asked me to pay (more specifically - guarantee payment in the event that the warranty work wasn't covered) $1,750 to break down the engine to the point of failure so that a representative from Chrysler could inspect the engine. I reluctantly agreed after speaking with the dealership and customer care.

Fast forward one week later, and now I'm being told that the warranty claim is being denied! My dealership has filed an appeal on my behalf, but the service manager told me that he hadn't seen a denial decision reversed in 20 to 30 attempts by Russell Westbrook CDJR. He gave me the number for Chrysler Customer Care (800-992-1997), saying that perhaps they'd cover a portion of the service if I spoke with them and voiced my displeasure...

Any advice is welcome. I'm really shocked and disappointed that Chrysler is trying to not honor my warranty.

@JeepCares - seems like forum members point your way in times like these. Any suggestions?

Finally, please find the dealer's appeal form attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Did the tech verify and document the fan running backwards?
Hopefully you have the paper work to verify this.
Was this an aftermarket fan that was later installed?
Is the cooling fan electric or hydraulic operated?

How can a fan run backwards?
Electric fan motors are typically DC motors therefore if the fan was wired opposite polarity it could run backwards.
But then again i don't know exactly what kind of fan system your Jeep has.
Its remotely possible the fan blades were installed backwards at the factory if thats even possible.

If this is the original OEM fan that hasn't been touched since you bought the Jeep i think you've got a good case just need to persue it.
The trick is to prove it and then i would escalate this to the next level and beyond.

If it is the original OEM fan then someone must of monky'd around with it.
If its an aftermarket fan you're likely SOL.

Reactions: philbytx

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
As above…an aftermarket fan? That makes no sense at all. A modification like that for sure they would not cover a warranty claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely the stock fan. In my original post I attached the dealer's appeal which documents the fan was blowing backwards and is, in the dealer's analysis, the cause of the head gasket failure, etc.

Aside from oil changes I performed myself or at Jiffy Lube when I got lazy, nobody has ever been under the hood other than techs at Russell Westbrook CDJR.

After speaking to the Jeep Warranty folks at 800-992-1997, their position is that because of the extent of the damage to the engine and associated parts, they believe I drove the car extensively after it had overheated. I reiterated to them that this was not the case, and that the temp gauge wasn't even red-lined. No steam, no warning lights, no rough idle. I just happened to notice the needle was 3/4 up the gauge and called out of an abundance of caution.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it - my service advisor even plugged an ODBII tool into my car the moment I came to the dealer, and NO CODES came up!

What the heck is going on?!?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Definitely the stock fan. In my original post I attached the dealer's appeal which documents the fan was blowing backwards and is, in the dealer's analysis, the cause of the head gasket failure, etc.

Aside from oil changes I performed myself or at Jiffy Lube when I got lazy, nobody has ever been under the hood other than techs at Russell Westbrook CDJR.

After speaking to the Jeep Warranty folks at 800-992-1997, their position is that because of the extent of the damage to the engine and associated parts, they believe I drove the car extensively after it had overheated. I reiterated to them that this was not the case, and that the temp gauge wasn't even red-lined. No steam, no warning lights, no rough idle. I just happened to notice the needle was 3/4 up the gauge and called out of an abundance of caution.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it - my service advisor even plugged an ODBII tool into my car the moment I came to the dealer, and NO CODES came up!

What the heck is going on?!?
Based on what you've said and have said documentation in hand you have a good case to pursue IMO.
But you need the perseverance to see it through all the way from arbitration to the Lemon Law and maybe get a lawyer involved at some point. The lawyer's fee might be cheap compared to the engine repairs.

If the fan is indeed stock from the factory and verified by a Jeep dealer as running backwards i don't see how FCA has a leg to stand on.
I think its an initial bluff on their part hoping you accept their verdict, pay out of pocket and go away.

By the way did you find out if the fan is electric or hydraulic operated?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,076 Posts
There have been a number of posts in the last few months of Lifetime repairs being denied. It's to the point that if I get the offer to have it bought out I'd take it.

JK fans are electric. Considering the vehicle runs on DC current it would be shocking (HA!) that it would spin the wrong way. The hydraulic fan BS was a WJ (maybe WK as well?) thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi folks,

I have a 2012 JKU (Manual Transmission, Half Doors) which I bought from what is now Russell Westbrook CDJR in Van Nuys, CA. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the temp gauge needle was hanging around 3/4 of max. No lights, no smells, no vapors, and no appreciable reduction in performance. Eager to keep my JKU in shape, I called service immediately and they told me to bring it in, which I immediately did.

A tech looked at the car and noticed the coolant reservoir was all but empty, and said there may be a leak. After a few days, I was shocked to learn that a cascading failure which started at the fan (which was blowing backwards - how does that even happen?) caused the head gasket to blow, the head to warp, and the block to warp.

I purchased the car with a Lifetime Warranty, so while shocked at the severity of the damage at 65k miles, I was relieved to know that I had said Warranty. Or so I thought... My dealer asked me to pay (more specifically - guarantee payment in the event that the warranty work wasn't covered) $1,750 to break down the engine to the point of failure so that a representative from Chrysler could inspect the engine. I reluctantly agreed after speaking with the dealership and customer care.

Fast forward one week later, and now I'm being told that the warranty claim is being denied! My dealership has filed an appeal on my behalf, but the service manager told me that he hadn't seen a denial decision reversed in 20 to 30 attempts by Russell Westbrook CDJR. He gave me the number for Chrysler Customer Care (800-992-1997), saying that perhaps they'd cover a portion of the service if I spoke with them and voiced my displeasure...

Any advice is welcome. I'm really shocked and disappointed that Chrysler is trying to not honor my warranty.

@JeepCares - seems like forum members point your way in times like these. Any suggestions?

Finally, please find the dealer's appeal form attached.
They're hoping you'll trade it in and buy a new one or just pay for the repairs yourself. But they're also denying because in their eyes you should've called for a tow truck to prevent further damage. I'm not saying they're right about it but that's just how dealers are..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the dealer labour rate really $219/hour, that seems crazy. Also interesting to see that they mark up the parts by 2.12x... Worst case could you negotiate these down to cost and lower the hourly rate? Could cut the bill in half.

Sucks though, hopefully you get this resolved without it coming to that.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
There have been a number of posts in the last few months of Lifetime repairs being denied. It's to the point that if I get the offer to have it bought out I'd take it.
JK fans are electric. Considering the vehicle runs on DC current it would be shocking (HA!) that it would spin the wrong way. The hydraulic fan BS was a WJ (maybe WK as well?) thing.
OK based on what Todd said the fan is electric driven.
Unless the fan motor's connector was forced backwards opposite polarity i don't see how the fan could run backwards.

Is there also a clutch fan involved in addition to the efan?
As i said earlier the fan blades could of been installed backwards at the factory?
Its also possible the fan motor's input connector itself was internally wired wrong at its factory.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
That appeal spreadsheet is definitely messed up. The dealer markup column is a percentage yet it calculated the extended prices as if it were a straight multiplier. This resulted in the markup being treated as if it's 212% not 2.12%.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,703 Posts
That appeal spreadsheet is definitely messed up. The dealer markup column is a percentage yet it calculated the extended prices as if it were a straight multiplier. This resulted in the markup being treated as if it's 212% not 2.12%.
in addition to that the 9k in parts turned into 11k in parts in the next section. Same for labor, mysteriously increased. Maybe tax but doesn't say. I don't know how FCA would accept a $219/hr labor rate for warranty work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts