Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'14 GC Overland
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find threads that discuss this issue, but I haven't found any that are WK2-specific. Yesterday, my alarm started going off while locked in my garage. I went to check things out - Everything seemed in order, but the HUD had the "Remote Start Cancelled" message displayed. I started the engine, turned it off, and locked the Jeep from the key fob. While walking around rear of the vehicle, I noticed the liftgate latch making opening/closing sounds, but not raising at all. I thought maybe something was impeding it from latching, so I opened it, cleared some stuff aside (although nothing was in its path), and closed it. I locked everything again, and went back inside.

Within 3 minutes, the alarm went off again - same symptoms. After taking the same steps, I left everything unlocked. I was headed in for an oil change anyway, so I took it to the dealer last night. They diagnosed a faulty latch (only sensing 2 of 3 positions) and a broken handle (which I think is BS).

They quoted me $500 for parts, bringing the total to $670 including labor. They then tried to charge me a $99 diagnostic fee after the fact, but I wasn't going for it. This issue popped up out of nowhere yesterday - I hadn't driven the car in 6 days. The only thing I suspect could have caused it was water. 3 days prior, it snowed on the vehicle, and I left it outside to melt in the sun the following day (April in New England).

I've read a bunch of threads from owners of other Jeep models who suspect water entry reaching the liftgate latch and causing a short due to poor seal design. I've even heard of a TSB for older models that calls for reversing the wires to the sensor (sounds like a band-aid and not a fix), and owners whose issue was resolved once the sensor dried off.

Has anyone else experienced this with a WK2? I've ordered OEM parts online for just over $300, and may attempt to install them myself rather than pay for the labor. My plan is to replace the latch first and see if that fixes the issue before installing the new handle.

I'm curious if anyone else has dealt with this, how it was resolved, and if they went the DIY route?

·
Registered
'14 GC Overland
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Over 3 weeks and not a single reply, but here's an update anyway. The parts arrived and they were simple to bolt on. They didn't resolve the issue, though. I suspect there is a short somewhere in the wiring, and the problem is due to a bad seal that is allowing water to get in somewhere. I've read of this issue on older models, but not the WK2.

After some warm weather, it seemed everything dried out because the issue went away. That was until Friday when it was parked in the rain and not inside the garage. The issue began again, this time draining my battery overnight from constant engagement of the the latch electronics.

Has anyone else had this issue in a WK2 and successfully located a short and bad seal?

·
Registered
Trailhawk
144 Posts
Maybe take a look at the TSBs for water getting into the spare tire area and battery below passenger seat.

The water ingress path may be the same or you can eliminate them.

·
Registered
'14 GC Overland
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe take a look at the TSBs for water getting into the spare tire area and battery below passenger seat.

The water ingress path may be the same or you can eliminate them.
Thanks for responding! I'll also be looking into the switch inside the trunk to see if that is where the short is.

·
Registered
'14 GC Overland
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to rule out the switch based on this from the owner's manual:

Pressing the LIFTGATE button located on left rear trim
panel once will close the liftgate only, this button cannot be
used to open the liftgate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts