Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I haven't been on for a while since my GC has been down but it's confirmed now I have a busted head. (#3 cylinder) So now I'm debating on a long block or a crate motor. I'm not looking for big power just want my Jeep reliable and running again at the best cost. It's a 2011 GC Limited 5.7 4x4 and the body and interior are in excelshape or I'd just cut my losses. So from those who have done it should I go all the way with a crate engine or is a new/reman long block better? What company do yall suggest? Thanks for any advice and help. BTW yes I'll be doing the change myself.

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,132 Posts
A crate engine is about 6k Long block isn't much cheaper.

So it just the head that's busted? or is there more damage. also how many miles.
New set of ported heads is about $2500 you could heads inside the car. I would advise Changing the cam shaft out and replacing with hellcat lifters if your going this far.

Do you want do a MDS delete while your in there?

Lots of options.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually already did the mds delete with Hellcat lifters. It's got a tick over 150k miles that's one reason I was looking at replacing the whole thing. The thermostat failed and it ran up to 260 degrees which I assume is what got the head so idk how much I trust the bearings and rings now. It cracked the plastic oil pan but it never skipped or missed a beat, still ran smooth and quiet except for the overheat.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anybody? I keep running the cost vs benefits in my head but I honestly don't know which way to go. A good long blockis 4450 and the crate I'm looking at is about 5700 with 385 hp and 60 month warranty. Obviously rebuilding can time from 2500 on up with no kind of guarantee. Could the 260 degree overheating have hurt the main and crank bearings? That's what bothers me about just getting new heads. If the bottom ends is compromised I'll skip the rebuild.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
A little confused with 'long block' and 'crate engine'.
By crate engine do you mean a brand new Jeep factory built engine?
A crate engine at least in my area can also be loosely referred to as from an engine rebuilder company which can be either a long block or a short block.

If coolant didn't get into the oil i'd think the bearings are probably ok.
If the overheating got hot enough to cause the head problem and cracked oil pan i myself would not trust that entire engine.

With a 150K miles and If this were my deal and planned on keeping the Jeep for a while i'd go with a complete long block which more or less is plug 'n play.
I'd also research which companies have the best prices, exactly what engine parts are replaced, warranty and reviews.

Some companies have a warranty better than 60 mo.
A while back my Jeep technician replaced his XJ's blown engine with a crate engine from an engine rebuilder company with a life time warranty albeit its a 4.0 and not a hemi.

Reactions: Shade

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little confused with 'long block' and 'crate engine'.
By crate engine do you mean a brand new Jeep factory built engine?
A crate engine at least in my area can also be loosely referred to as from an engine rebuilder company which can be either a long block or a short block.

If coolant didn't get into the oil i'd think the bearings are probably ok.
If the overheating got hot enough to cause the head problem and cracked oil pan i myself would not trust that entire engine.

With a 150K miles and If this were my deal and planned on keeping the Jeep for a while i'd go with a complete long block which more or less is plug 'n play.
I'd also research which companies have the best prices, exactly what engine parts are replaced, warranty and reviews.

Some companies have a warranty better than 60 mo.
A while back my Jeep technician replaced his XJ's blown engine with a crate engine from an engine rebuilder company with a life time warranty albeit its a 4.0 and not a hemi.
"Long block" meaning new block with crank pistons and heads installed, "cruggate motor" being whole new everything from oil pan to tintake and exhaust manifolds installed, just bolt up and go. The only crate motor I found is from Moparparts and is a 385 hp version (idk what is modified for the extra hp) but for some reason they say a wiring harness and front accessories drive kit is required. Idk why it needs those things if I'm replacing a 5.7l hemi with a 5.7l hemi. I agree thug, I'm not crazy about reusing my block after the oil pan cracked like that.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
I guess the definition of long block, short block, crate engine, re-manned engine depends on the area and the crowd one hangs out with.

Me thinks that engine might of got hotter than you think.
If it was a new tight engine with closer tolerances it might of even seized up.

· Premium Member
SRT8
3,132 Posts
"Long block" meaning new block with crank pistons and heads installed, "cruggate motor" being whole new everything from oil pan to tintake and exhaust manifolds installed, just bolt up and go. The only crate motor I found is from Moparparts and is a 385 hp version (idk what is modified for the extra hp) but for some reason they say a wiring harness and front accessories drive kit is required. Idk why it needs those things if I'm replacing a 5.7l hemi with a 5.7l hemi. I agree thug, I'm not crazy about reusing my block after the oil pan cracked like that.
Long block Missing most everything Crate Plug n Play typically includes everything but AC Power Steering Pump If equiped and Alternator

Font Screenshot Web page Logo Website

1 - 8 of 8 Posts