Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to pull my Jeep GC Limited into the garage so far I'm almost touching the work bench (fixed in place) in order to open the liftgate. Other than the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling, does anyone out there in WK2 land have some ideas for "telltales" I could try to give me some reference point clarity when entering the garage?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,869 Posts
Blocks of wood that the front tires will hit. Once you have them in the right spot, you can fasten them to the floor. Other wise, paint the outline so you will know if the moved.

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,387 Posts
I use a long 2x4 flat on the floor to stop the front tires from going any further. After finding the right spot for it, drill 3/16" holes in the 2x4 near each end, mark the floor through the holes, then use a concrete bit to drill 3/16" holes into the concrete. Use a 16d galvanized nail in each hole to keep the 2x4 in place. The loose nails will stay in pace, but allow easy removal of the 2x4 for cleaning the garage floor.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Use a reference point out your side window... I use an outlet on the wall out my passenger window and pull up until that is the same fixed distance from my side pillar everytime. You just naturally turn your head and look sideways. Works like a charm and no blocks or tennis balls hanging.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
Limited
1,660 Posts
Use a reference point out your side window... I use an outlet on the wall out my passenger window and pull up until that is the same fixed distance from my side pillar everytime. You just naturally turn your head and look sideways. Works like a charm and no blocks or tennis balls hanging.

This is exactly what I do except the reference point is on the drivers side. Works every time and puts my Jeep right where I want it so I can still get around in my "Jeep Garage"

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Same here. I have the left side of the garage so I glued a piece of foam to the wall so I don't dig a dent in the wallboard everytime I open my door. Learned that back edge of foam aligned with back of driver's window is perfect parking position.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a parking laser. Its a laser pointer attached to a motion detector and plugs into the ceiling or is battery powered. All you do is park it exactly where you want it, the point the laser somewhere on your wk2. I use the sensor for the auto headlights on the dash. Then next time you drive in and aim for the spot and your perfect everytime. My wife loves it and so do I.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for the many suggestions! I've tried the masking tape on the garage wall, creeping up to the work bench, etc. The tennis ball gimmick won't work because of the wind shoving it around on a regular basis. I can't use the b/u camera because I want to pull into the garage so I can open the liftgate--can't do that against the work bench.

My current idea is to take a short section of a broken fly rod tip and fasten it to the front of the work bench in such a way so that when I'm in the right place the tip "quivers."

When I think about all the electronics in my 2014 Jeep GC Limited, I have to laugh that I'm building a Rube Goldberg device to position the Jeep in the garage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My father used the hanging tennis ball when I was a kid. Our yellow lab was in the garage one day and decided he wanted the tennis ball. He jumped up on the hood of my dads Mercedes 560SL and got the ball. Needless to say that was the end of using tennis balls to park the car.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use a parking laser. I bought the dual laser but use it for only my Jeep. One hits the jeep center speaker when I first enter the garage to make sure I am entering correctly and the second one hits the center speaker when I have reached my final spot. This gets my jeep stopped at the correct spot but also keeps me straight.

I can park within 1/2 inch of where I need it to be.

Park Right Dual Garage Laser Park at Hayneedle

Reactions: cnynctry

·
Registered
2012 GCO
1,387 Posts
My father used the hanging tennis ball when I was a kid. Our yellow lab was in the garage one day and decided he wanted the tennis ball. He jumped up on the hood of my dads Mercedes 560SL and got the ball. Needless to say that was the end of using tennis balls to park the car.
Lol!

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I used to like him... but lately he's jumped the shark with his political views.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.