Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from WA state and I have been looking at Jeeps since I had a Nissan Pathfinder Platinum "4X4" that left me stuck while out fishing, not mud but just a fairly steep hill that my friend went down and back up in his Suburban in two wheel drive. Anyway, which of the following:

Quadra-Drive® II 4x4 System with Rear Electronic Limited-Slip Differential
Quadra-Trac I® 4x4 System
Quadra-Trac II® 4x4 System
Quadra-Trac® SRT® 4x4 System

It appears to me to be the Quadra-Trac II System, although both it and the other systems have a locking low, is it a true locking of all four wheels? I believe that Pathfinder had a "lock" but it was worthless. Do I need to consider the TrailHawk? How does the TrailHawk ride comfort wise?

This will be my everyday driver around town and weekend trips plus at times my tow vehicle for my drift boat and sometimes it will be my "toad" behind my truck and camper. Does this Grand Cherokee have that two-speed gear box I will need, I believe I read that it did?

18" or 20" wheels, is there more to the wheels than just looks and personal preference?

What is the difference between the Limited and Limited X?

Is there a major difference in the two transmission offered, the 850RE or the 8HP70, both eight speeds?

It is good to be a member here and thanks for your input.

Thanks, Mark

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I am from WA state and I have been looking at Jeeps since I had a Nissan Pathfinder Platinum "4X4" that left me stuck while out fishing, not mud but just a fairly steep hill that my friend went down and back up in his Suburban in two wheel drive. Anyway, which of the following:

It appears to me to be the Quadra-Trac II System, although both it and the other systems have a locking low, is it a true locking of all four wheels? I believe that Pathfinder had a "lock" but it was worthless. Do I need to consider the TrailHawk? How does the TrailHawk ride comfort wise?

This will be my everyday driver around town and weekend trips plus at times my tow vehicle for my drift boat and sometimes it will be my "toad" behind my truck and camper. Does this Grand Cherokee have that two-speed gear box I will need, I believe I read that it did?

18" or 20" wheels, is there more to the wheels than just looks and personal preference?

Is there a major difference in the two transmission offered, the 850RE or the 8HP70, both eight speeds?

Thanks, Mark

Go here and look at the models and their available options:

I personally see it as mostly marketing but, you will find that certain options will get you other things. For example, the 850RE transmission is only used on the V6 while the 8HP70 is used with the V8.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
995 Posts
I'd recommend getting the Trailhawk with Quadra-Drive® II 4x4 System with Rear Electronic Limited-Slip Differential. From what I've read the QDII is superior to the QTII for off roading. It's what I have and I love it. And then you'll need better tires. I have and recommend the
Falken Wildpeak A/T 265/65R18 114T
0000 tires copy.png

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,460 Posts
If you want the best get the QD2. It's phenomenal. As far as tires, depends on what you plan on traversing. The aggressive treads have an advantage in muddy situations. If that's not you it's likely the typical tires most people use like the Michelin Defenders will be fine... plus they will be a bit quieter on pavements compared to typical AT types. The QD2 does have a 2 speed transfer case plus the ability to be placed in Neutral which will allow you to tow it as directed in the manual.

IMHO the 20" wheels/tires are a bad choice for off road use and you should get the 18's. I had 20's on my Summit and while I could (and did) take them off road I hated them. Very rough and unforgiving and I was always in fear of a rock punching thru the sidewalls or smashing into the rim edge. I switched to 18's and like them far better off road... Actually, I like them better on road too, better ride with no change in handling feel. I'd suggest that when you settle on what you want that if it doesn't include skid plates you buy them separately and put them on... it's a nice bit of piece of mind. \8

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Several points relative to your questions:

All of the 4WD drive train options on the JGC are "real 4x4", but of course, they are not like the old-old setups on kidney-busting off road vehicles of the past. Even the QT-1 setup is VERY capable. "Locking" is generally replaced by the intelligent management of the drive train and the braking system, although the Quadra-Drive (QD-II) has an ELSD for the rear. Grand Cherokee is capable of going when many others cannot. 4-low is available in all but the base QT-I option.

Wheel size is a subjective choice, but many folks like the 18" wheels for taller sidewalls on the tires. (The tire diameters are the same regardless of wheel size choice. There tend to be more choices for "more versatile" tires for the 18" wheels than the 20" wheels, although that is changing in the marketplace given how many SUVs come with 20s at this point.

You don't have a choice of transmission...you get what comes with the engine choice you make. :)

The Trailhawk suspension is exactly the same as every other JGC that has Quadra-Lift.

The towing capability of Grand Cherokee is very good...as long as you get Factory Towing. Do not expect to be able to tow heavy if you don't get Factory Towing. Factory Tow is more than a hitch receiver and wiring. With Factory Tow, the V6 is rated for 6200 lbs/620 lbs tongue weight and the V8 is rated for 7200 lbs/720 lbs tongue weight. Both require WDH for tongue weights north of 350 lbs for proper weight balance between the axles. There is no "two speed gearbox" relative to towing.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Don't QDII versions also have a larger (i.e., stronger) rear axle and beefier skid plates?
No to "skid plates" which have nothing to do with the drivetrain outside of protecting it. Skids are optional on all JGC except the Trailhawk where they are a standard feature.

Yes to the axle, but the larger axle is because QD-II is only available with the V8 or Diesel power plant which sports a heavier drive train. QD-II itself is limited to particular trim, too.

·
Registered
GC TH
342 Posts

Thanks, Mark
glad you’re looking at WK2’s (2011-2020 Grand Cherokee’s)! They are terrific vehicles and that‘s why you’ll find so many out on the road.

As far as your Pathfinder, tires sound like part of the issue. As mentioned, you’ll want more appropriate tires for whatever you have planned.

In 4Lo w/ QDII, the rear has an e-locker, but the front is open diffs. Some don’t like it, but I’ve been in some hairy situations in mud and on trails that where I found I was impressed with the system and my Ridge Grapplers.

You can tow it as long as you put it in neutral, per the manual.

Wheels are partially based on opinion, but I think you’ll find that most agree anyone doing more offroading should get the 18’s so there is more sidewall for airing down and absorbing bumps/rocks.

The trans difference depends on which engine you get. I love the Hemi and recommend it if you’re going to tow.

I believe the Limited X is an SRT appearance package, but won’t have anything to do with offroad capability unless the options are different.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,243 Posts
Did you try airing down your tires on your Nissan?

Off-Road Ability is far more than just the 4X4 system, BTW 4x4 means a locked or no center differential in the Transfer Case, but it has become a marketing term now-a-days you will see it placarded on all sorts of vehicles that do NOT meet the definition of 4X4. Just about all the 4WD terms have become this, and the manufacturers aren't explaining how their 4WD systems work, just nubulous marketing claims....

But Suspension Travel, weight distribution, proportioning of the body, tires, etc, etc are what make for good off-road ability, not just what drivetrain system the vehicle has......

If the best Off-Road Ability is what you're after, than the Wrangler would be your best bet......
The WK2 isn't bad, but its off-road ability has been diminished from past generations for more comfort and less liability / consumer complaints and safety regulation, like all the other jeeps, except the Wrangler....
The Gladiator is a Wrangler with a Pick-up bed on back, so that's another option.....
But, the 4 Door and Pick-Up versions of the Wrangler change proportions/wheelbase and weight distribution and thus reduces the off-road ability of the Base Wrangler (Although in some cases the longer wheelbase can be an advantage on some off-road tasks).....
All the bemoaning of the reduction in off-road ability of the Jeeps, besides the Wrangler and its variants, the Grand Cherokee is the next most off-road capable..... ...some of the small c

TrailHawk is just an appearance package, there are other Trim Levels with the same equipment or options for the same equipment..... ....if you want a TrailHawk, by all means get one, but you can get the same thing in other Trim Levels.......

The SRT and TrackHawk 4WD system and its suspension is all setup for On-Road Performance, if off-road ability is your priority, then these are not the Trims you want for your WK2.....

QT1 has no 4WD Low, no ability to lock the center differential, some call this AWD (again, the industry has rendered all these terms worthless through marketing)...... ....regardless if you consider it 4WD or AWD, its the least capable 4WD system on a Jeep, well of course other than the 2WD Only version (and there are lots of them out there and someone might try to pawn them off as 4WD to an unsuspecting buyer).....

QTII and QDII are the same thing, QDII just adds an Electronic Limited Slip Differential (ELSD) in the rear to QTII...... ...the ELSD does add some signficant off-road capability, but not really necessary unless you doing more difficult off-roading.... ....i.e. QTII can handle the grassy hill your Nissan got stuck on just fine.....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,356 Posts
Yes to the axle, but the larger axle is because QD-II is only available with the V8 or Diesel power plant which sports a heavier drive train. QD-II itself is limited to particular trim, too.
With the exception of the 3.6 Off Road Adventure package and the 3.6 Trail Hawk. Both can have Quadradrive.

OP - QuadraTrac 2 has the same transfer case, just lacks the eLSD. I don't know that anyone has reported busting a diff up on here. I would suspect a half shaft would go first. and with any WK2 you still have brake diff lock for the minor stuff.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
I forgot about those exceptions, Todd. My apologies.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I forgot about those exceptions, Todd. My apologies.
I might be reading it wrong but the configurator lists 230mm rear axle and ELSD as standard equipment for the Trailhawk, regardless of engine. Note that although it can be optioned with the QT2 and full skid plates, neither of the beefier axle/ELSD options are available on the Laredo, even when the Trail Rated package is added - so the comment of "available on other packages" is not true across the board.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks, Mark
I ordered a 2016 Grand Cherokee Limited Eco Diesel because I needed a real 4X4 that could tow and still get 30 mpg highway mileage on long drives visiting relatives, in any weather. I also fish so this baby is great. I have an older GMC 3/4T 4X4 Duramax that I'm trying to preserve so decided to try the midsize Jeep SUV. Had no experience with the recent generation of Jeep products. So I was blown away by the 32+ mpg I got traveling to Los Angeles from Nevada City, CA. And 31+ back (multiple times)! That was with the OEM Goodyear Wrangler A/T with Kevlar tires (18" rims). The Quadra-Drive® II 4x4 System is the one to get. It flat out works. I chose the Limited because I could get it exactly what I wanted and saved $$ without the foo-foo I didn't want. So far, I have 40k miles with zero problems. (That's even hard for me to believe!) The only thing I don't like is the "diesel lag" when you 1st hit the accelerator. There is a 2nd ECU flash, which I haven't done yet under warranty to address this. Other than that, I like this vehicle better than I thought I would. It's highly maneuverable with outstanding turning radius, ultra comfy on long hauls with the leather heated seats. and works off-road. The only thing I worry about are scratches. Good luck, Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
either of the beefier axle/ELSD options are available on the Laredo, even when the Trail Rated package is added - so the comment of "available on other packages" is not true across the board.
Yes, Trailhawk is an exception as I acknowledged to Todd. You can't get the V8 or EcoDiesel on a Laredo so my previous comment still applies.

·
Registered
GC Overland
204 Posts
In 2014 I wanted a fully off-road capable Grand Cherokee that would primarily be a daily driver comfortable and nice enough to also take friends to dinner. After much research and time on the Jeep website, I considered the diesel but settled on an Overland V8 which came with Quadra Lift, HID Xenon headlamps, heated/cooled front seats, heated rear seats, Navigation, keyless entry, remote start etc and I also added Off Road Adventure II and factory tow package. Because I got the V8 I also got the 8HP70 trans, HD cooling and HD brakes (currently have 77K miles and still original pads and discs!). Off Road II came with ELSD, replaced Quadra Trac II with Quadra Drive II, select speed control, skid plates and replaced the standard 20" wheels with 18". I recently went to the Jeep website and tried to build a 2020 with the same options and didn't have near the flexibility I did in 2014. The closest vehicle to what I have was the Trail Hawk and my understanding is that the only meaningful difference is the Trail Hawk has about an inch more ground clearance and possibly not as much in the way of comfort/convenience. So, for what it's worth there may well be everything that your looking for in well equipped, great riding, Limited or Overland that currently cost $19-$22K.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,356 Posts
I might be reading it wrong but the configurator lists 230mm rear axle and ELSD as standard equipment for the Trailhawk, regardless of engine. Note that although it can be optioned with the QT2 and full skid plates, neither of the beefier axle/ELSD options are available on the Laredo, even when the Trail Rated package is added - so the comment of "available on other packages" is not true across the board.

Package contents and trim availability are listed in the link above. The All Weather package only lists QTII, not QDII. You do get a block heater! :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
The closest vehicle to what I have was the Trail Hawk and my understanding is that the only meaningful difference is the Trail Hawk has about an inch more ground clearance
Nope. No additional ground clearance. Early marketing materials seemed to say that but the change was to articulation and was extended to all JGCs with QL.

·
Registered
GC TH
342 Posts
Nope. No additional ground clearance. Early marketing materials seemed to say that but the change was to articulation and was extended to all JGCs with QL.
Yup! Only differences in an Overland w/ ORAII and the Trailhawk are black vs chrome accents, interior appointments, and seats (Trailhawk gets the SRT seats).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those SRT seats are what ruled out the Trailhawk for me. The thigh bolsters hit me just the wrong way and flare up my sciatic nerve. Sucks, because otherwise I would've bought it. The less bolstered seats in the High Altitude work much better for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,499 Posts
Those SRT seats are what ruled out the Trailhawk for me. The thigh bolsters hit me just the wrong way and flare up my sciatic nerve. Sucks, because otherwise I would've bought it. The less bolstered seats in the High Altitude work much better for me.
Overland with ORA-II would have given you the same thing as the Trailhawk minus the SRT seats and decal. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts