Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have factory led fog lights on my 2017 Limited. I’d like to add yellow fogs for the bad weather. What’s the best solution? Do I change out the factory leds or use some kind of laminx yellow film?

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
82 Posts
Yellow Lam-in X will be you’re best bet as OEM factory led fogs do not have removable bulbs (the led’s are built into the housing). The OEM led fogs with yellow Lam-in X will be far superior to downgrading to halogen fog assemblies with aftermarket yellow H -11 halogen or LED bulbs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked Laminate-x and I don’t see any films for a 2017 GC fog light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They don’t list them for the Grand Cherokee. Measure your lens diameter. They sell them pre cut round in different sizes. I want to do this on mine but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
It works great. I just did it to the factory LED fogs on my SRT. I got a universal kit, and just made a quick template of the lens with paper to mark and cut the film. Came out perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since a universal sheet is my only choice, is it possible to remove the led and lens from the housing to make it easier to lay a piece of lamin-x over it so it would be easier to trim the excess around it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes you can remove the whole fog lamp housing from the bumper cover easily. Pull back your fender liners to gain access and they will unsnap from the bumper. I still recommend measuring the diameter and ordering them pre cut round from Lamin X as they do sell them round in different diameters.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes you can remove the whole fog lamp housing from the bumper cover easily. Pull back your fender liners to gain access and they will unsnap from the bumper. I still recommend measuring the diameter and ordering them pre cut round from Lamin X as they do sell them round in different diameters.
I took your advice. I measured And contacted Lamin-x. They were super nice and helpful offering to cut me exactly the size I need. They should be coming this week and I’ll see how it works out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking what was the measurement you came up with. I need to order some for mine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don’t mind me asking what was the measurement you came up with. I need to order some for mine.
I took a very small tape measure across the center as best I could. I came up with 1.75”. i emailed them the size and the very nice woman at Lamin-x said order the 2 inch and email her the order number and that she would make sure the manufacturing people would cut me a pair in 1.75 inch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I took a very small tape measure across the center as best I could. I came up with 1.75”. i emailed them the size and the very nice woman at Lamin-x said order the 2 inch and email her the order number and that she would make sure the manufacturing people would cut me a pair in 1.75 inch.
Thanks for the measurements. I’ve been too busy trying to nail down a winter set of rims and tires to measure mine. I’ll call lamin x tomorrow and order.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the measurements. I’ve been too busy trying to nail down a winter set of rims and tires to measure mine. I’ll call lamin x tomorrow and order.
Finally got around to installing them. Unfortunately not that happy with how they went in. Very difficult to put on in such a recessed housing. I should’ve took your advice and pulled them out of the bumper first to make it easier. But where I live it was 27 degrees and didn’t have the time to sit out there to figure it out. Because they are small lights and it’s so recessed, I ended up accidentally folding one of the films and had to try pulling it apart. The other one I got finger prints all over the inside. I might wait til spring and order another set and do it over properly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You might want to try them first before deciding to update in the spring. The beam pattern of the light is far more important than the color and adding colored film has reduced your effective light output. You will likely find that the original white light is much more effective in inclement weather without the added film because they have the proper flat horizontal beam cutoff to control reflection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts