Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 17 trailhawk has been perfect for 5 years and 53k miles. Been great. Tires down to 4/32. Been from Minnesota Canadian border to the florida keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

I’m looking to potentially purchase a 2018 or 2019 grand Cherokee either the Overland or Summit addition. What I would like to find out is, are there any known issues I should be aware of before purchasing?
How reliable is the air ride on these?

thank you!
Ive had my GC Trailhawk for 3 years. Haven’t had an issue with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

I’m looking to potentially purchase a 2018 or 2019 grand Cherokee either the Overland or Summit addition. What I would like to find out is, are there any known issues I should be aware of before purchasing?

thank you!
I had a 2018 for a year. It was damaged when I was hit by another vehicle. I traded it for a 2019 Overland. I have had the 19 for two years ( 14,600 miles. ) The only problem I have had was a bad GPS which was replaced under warranty without hassle. I know it is low mileage, but I hope it helps you. I love this vehicle!

·
Registered
Summit
78 Posts
I drove the 19’ Overland this morning and there is a BIG difference between it and the high altitude. It Road almost as well as my Mercedes, if not the same. So there definitely has to be a difference between the two vehicles somehow..
I don't know about the Overland but, the Summit reportedly has different foam/springs in the seats for a cushier ride. And the chassis in the GC was also used by MB which might explain the similar ride....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

thank you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
16 OVERLAND ED here. Fully loaded with every option. 106,000 miles. No problems so far. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned in my 45 years of driving. I think Jeep or Renault did a fine fine job. I use the quadra-lift susp almost daily at the gym, office or grocery store. If I can’t get a parking spot on the end aisle, I raise it to OffRoad 2 position so that any Jackass who opens their door into me will hit the rock rail instead of my fenders or doors. TBH,I also use it fording the many bridgeless creeks here in the northern pa forests. But very pleased with the Overland packages accoutrements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

thank you!
I ended up with a 2018 High Altitude with the eco diesel. Bought it in early 2019 with 9K miles on it. Totally love the trim level, the ride, and the diesel has been stellar. Don't know what the "screen" issue is, so obviously have not had to deal with it. I tow a boat at 5,000 pound, so the 6 was not an option. The High Altitude model falls between the Overland and the Summit and has the black-out trim instead of chrome. I would not have known about this had I not stumbled into it. Jeep does a really poor job of identifying the Altitude and High Altitude. This is your decision, but just so you know, I am on my 4th Jeep. First one was a 1997 Cherokee, then an '84 Grand, a 2002 Grand, and now the 2018. Loved them all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

I love my 2018 Overland. I had some software issues and the dealership replaced the infotainment system due to a delaminating issue. So far zero issues with the Quadra Lift suspension. I’ve heard that there is issues with the new ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love my 2018 Overland. I had some software issues and the dealership replaced the infotainment system due to a delaminating issue. So far zero issues with the Quadra Lift suspension. I’ve heard that there is issues with the new ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

thank you!
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 that had the screen delamination issue(covered under warranty) and now have the leather dash delaminating at 69K miles that Chrysler will not cover because it is out of warranty(I even purchased an extended warranty, leather warranty, paint warranty and rims & tires warranty), it is $3,000 to replace the dash and Chrysler is aware of this issue but will do nothing about it!!!! I have had no other mechanical issues other than water pump and cooling lines which were covered under warranty. All of my issues were internal and all but 2 items were covered under warranty. I was even thinking of trading it in but when comparing what I would get for what I have.....I am keeping my JGC Overland. Consumer Reports states that certain years are not that great and 2019 is one of those years. In general, I believe all car manufacturers are at the point where they do not care about their customers and only about the bottom line!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
It is my sincerely held but entirely humble opinion that 2018 is the best year, because it's the only year that has the updated shifter, the updated Pentastar, the updated suspension, and the updated Uconnect with the good screen and Android Auto/Carplay support -- and does not have the awful piano black trim on the dash.

Now in fairness I have not encountered the screen delamination issue but I have lifetime Maxcare if I do (and my Uconnect was already replaced once for another issue, so maybe I am immune from the delamination thing).

Speaking of delamination, the Overland's leather dash delamination was just one of a number of reasons I chose a fully loaded Limited over the Overland. But fully loaded Limiteds are hard to find - I had to special order mine.

Finally, air suspension's ride should not be "floaty." Nothing wrong there. (You might like one of the larger 70's Buick models.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Good afternoon everyone.

thank you!
My '18 Trailhawk has been very good. I like it. I had one issue, a pinhole leak in the radiator. Very little coolant leaked out really, but they replaced it under warranty (a $2200 job). It was the upper left side of the radiator; you can check it without removing anything. Look for a chalky green substance.
I'm not much of an off-roader. I only got the Trailhawk to get the SRT seats (and no chrome). They are superior to the seats in all the other non-SRT GCs. Supportive and all-day comfy. The air suspension makes weird groans sometimes, but has worked well through 34K miles.

·
Registered
2021 JGC High Altitude 3.6L
50 Posts
16 OVERLAND ED here. Fully loaded with every option. 106,000 miles. No problems so far. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned in my 45 years of driving. I think Jeep or Renault did a fine fine job….
Just to be clear, Renault had nothing to do with Jeep, specially the WK2! American Motors engineers worked on both Jeeps and Renault cars but the French were long gone when the ZJ was born.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I want to thank everyone for sharing their thoughts on the GC ‘s.
Is there really that much of a difference between the 18th and 19th? I thought would be that they would be mostly the same, logically anyway…
One other question for you, are there any creeks rattles that you have noticed in these cars? Unfortunately my ears like to find these things and they tend to drive me crazy so I’d rather not jump into having any issues like that.

Again, thank you all for sharing your experiences

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Is there really that much of a difference between the 18th and 19th? I thought would be that they would be mostly the same, logically anyway…
I don't know of any "significant" differences between the two other than that nasty piano black trim on the 19+'s dash. GC's have been pretty much the same since the '18 model year.

BUT you can almost certainly find '19s that are still in warranty; there probably aren't many '18s around that still fill that bill.

One other question for you, are there any creeks rattles that you have noticed in these cars? Unfortunately my ears like to find these things and they tend to drive me crazy so I’d rather not jump into having any issues like that.
At almost 50k miles, mine remains mercifully tight and rattle free (knock wood), other than a pesky ticking noise from the moonroof in certain but not all situations. YMM(and almost certainly will)V; I was fortunate enough to get a Tuesday build.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No rattles at all on my ‘14 since new - very solidly built. Ordered mine without the sunroof which seems to generate a few complaints in that area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only rattle I have is from the moon roof. Those alumni slides become loose over time and needs to be bonded back down. Pain in the Butt to get at. I’d avoid a sunroom.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts