Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the wife have a 2012 Hemi WK2 Overland, no issues just over 110,000 miles. But I need to find a first car for my 17-yo daughter, trying not to spend more than $10k. Any recommendations? I have looked at Compasses, Patriots, Libertys and the WK2?
Any guidance on issues to look out for please respond. Thank you

·
Administrator
11,786 Posts
This is a good area to ask about the "WK2", but the other models have discussion areas where you can get input from actual owners of those models.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
My advice for buying used right or wrong.
No older than 5 maybe 6 years, low mileage as possible, check the oil and transmission dipsticks, condition of the coolant, look for signs of any fluid leaks, look for any signs of water damage, beware of fly by night used car lots, extensive test drive including highways, listen for any odd noises from the engine, transmission, chassis, brakes etc., operate all accessories including AC, lights, heater, radio etc.
Most important of all, kick the tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last year, out of curiosity I ran my 50,000mil 2018 GC Limited through 'We Buy Any Car' . They offered around $28,000.
Now considering that at the time a new Compass went for that same amount, you can gauge what a $10,000 Compass or others would look like.
BTW, don't go anywhere near one with a U Connect.

·
Registered
60 Posts
B25 at that price point you would be getting something with significant mileage on it. If you're not good with cars, I would not want to burden her or you with those Jeep high-mileage issues. You should be able to find something more reliable from the Honda/Kia/Hyundai/Toyota brands, though.

Or you could give her your Overland and use that $10K on a down payment towards a new car? Much depends on her driving needs for you to make this happen, as HS kids tend to make tons of short trips (which would be harder on the Overland).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whatever you're looking to buy, spend a couple bucks and get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by a qualified independent mechanic. This could save big bucks in repairs down the road if the vehicle you're looking to buy is not a factory-back CPO, IMO, I would consider these vehicles first over all others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts