Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,157 Posts
Normal behavior for almost any contemporary vehicle on the road. Fogs also turn off when High Beams are engaged on most vehicles.

Reactions: MacDaddy

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
187 Posts
This was asked before. Possibly different behavior for different years? On my 2020, the lows stay on when the highs are on.

·
Registered
2014 Limited
233 Posts
Depends on dual or quad lamps, but Factory wired fog’s always turn off when high beams come on unless you wired them in separately and if you run after market self installed and separately wired fog’s with high beams in most states they’ll ticket you.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
For the WK2 platform that has quad bulb headlight system this is not normal. The low beam circut stay energized when the High beam circuit is activated.

Even if you are using an HID kit for your low beams you should still have functioning low beams.

Did you do wiring yourself? I am trying to imagine what someone could do to make this happen unless you had a relay harness that had an input for the highbeam that cut power to the lowbeam when it saw a positive 12v input.

Bottom line for quad beams this should not happen.

If you have dual beam (two headlights that have dual filaments) then this would be normal behavior as the headlamp circuit would switch from the low beam filament to the high beam filament to generate light)

( perfect example of this would be if had a 2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma pick up. If you installed a pair of Syder/Spec D/Eagle Eye headlights that had separate low and High beam bulbs when selecting high beams the low beam bulbs would shut off because the system is set up for a dual filament bulb.)

·
Registered
'14 JGC Limited
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For the WK2 platform that has quad bulb headlight system this is not normal. The low beam circut stay energized when the High beam circuit is activated.

Even if you are using an HID kit for your low beams you should still have functioning low beams.

Did you do wiring yourself? I am trying to imagine what someone could do to make this happen unless you had a relay harness that had an input for the highbeam that cut power to the lowbeam when it saw a positive 12v input.

Bottom line for quad beams this should not happen.

If you have dual beam (two headlights that have dual filaments) then this would be normal behavior as the headlamp circuit would switch from the low beam filament to the high beam filament to generate light)

( perfect example of this would be if had a 2005 - 2015 Toyota Tacoma pick up. If you installed a pair of Syder/Spec D/Eagle Eye headlights that had separate low and High beam bulbs when selecting high beams the low beam bulbs would shut off because the system is set up for a dual filament bulb.)
Yes, I installed the kit myself several years ago. Normally don't do a lot of high beam usage until a recent trip. Thats when I notice this.

The are the Xenon Depot kits with their PNW canceller. No additional harness. Just ballast, canceller, and factory plug in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts