Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
GC TH
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been doing a lot of research, but it’s hard to tell what’s what. I’d like to get some cross bars that sit lower so I can add a cargo basket or platform w/o everything sticking up so much. I just want it all as low as possible. The plan is to get something that will hold my spare plus a few extras like FuelPax and traction boards.

I know there are some that are more expensive, but I’d like to see what I can find for around $500. I‘d love to see pics if y’all have what I’m looking for. Please include the basket/platform and cross bar brands. Thanks!

Side note: I’m also considering building my own swing-out spare tire carrier (maybe with some storage), which is why I don’t want to spend a lot on the roof option.

·
Registered
GC TH
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have yet to install these but they were recommend by another member ( I forget which thread has the pictures) but they should do the trick. Here’s the amazon link

BRIGHTLINES Roof Rack Crossbars Compatible with 2011-2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude/SRT with Roof Black Moldings Amazon.com: BRIGHTLINES Roof Rack Crossbars Compatible with 2011-2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude/SRT with Roof Black Moldings: Automotive
I’ve been looking at the non-SRT version of those since they’re identical to the Mopar cross bars. The pics I’ve seen just didn’t look low profile. Maybe it’s how the cargo baskets were mounted?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the brightline non-srt on my Laredo. Will be moving them to trailhawk. How low profile do you need them to be? I can take a photo once I have them on the trailhawk, or if you want some measurements I can get that.

·
Registered
GC TH
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can get a few pics, I’d appreciate it. I’d like to find bars that sit no higher than 3” off the roof. Some of the cross bars look like they sit 6” off the roof. By the time you put the cargo basket on that, it’s sitting up really high.

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
524 Posts

I run the Rhino Rack set up. I have a roof top tent. I chose these because they seemed to be the lowest profile I could find. I have a lower garage door clear height and wanted to be able to pull the Jeep in the garage with the tent on the roof.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the brightline non-srt on my Laredo. Will be moving them to trailhawk. How low profile do you need them to be? I can take a photo once I have them on the trailhawk, or if you want some measurements I can get that.
I just moved those bars to my trailhawk. Here are some photos. Can’t beat the price. I abused mine with kayak a few months ago so rubber insert came loose. I didn’t fully reseat the rubber and I lost it on the freeway. Called ASG auto and ordered the replacement rubber insert for $12.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have yet to install these but they were recommend by another member ( I forget which thread has the pictures) but they should do the trick. Here’s the amazon link

BRIGHTLINES Roof Rack Crossbars Compatible with 2011-2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude/SRT with Roof Black Moldings https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGH4RXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xDqeEb17DRNY0
Those look great, but bright silver on an all black Overland/ High Altitude like mine wouldn't look good. Otherwise I'd jump all over it. Just sold all the Thule pieces from my '14 Summit and need a rack for my skis this winter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just ordered one direct from ASG in MI. I'll have it tomorrow. Will take the cross bars to my powder coater to make them black.

Reactions: gspfunk

·
Registered
GC TH
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those look great, but bright silver on an all black Overland/ High Altitude like mine wouldn't look good. Otherwise I'd jump all over it. Just sold all the Thule pieces from my '14 Summit and need a rack for my skis this winter.
They come in black, as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
They come in black, as well.
Actually they don't. I called the company and was told that black may be coming in late spring or early summer. They do offer black for use on the traditional Limited/Summit raised rails, but not for the SRT/ High Altitude black flush rails. So I'll have mine powder coated next week once I get the rack.

·
Registered
GC TH
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually they don't. I called the company and was told that black may be coming in late spring or early summer. They do offer black for use on the traditional Limited/Summit raised rails, but not for the SRT/ High Altitude black flush rails. So I'll have mine powder coated next week once I get the rack.
Gotcha! My bad. I missed that you needed the SRT style rails. Post pics when you’re done with them if you don’t mind.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ordered the rack today, have UPS tracking showing arrival tomorrow. Will drop off at my powder coater Saturday so should have the rack on the Jeep by mid week next week.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the brightlines crossbars for my 2014 GC, put them on last spring, just went to unlock the caps and all four are corroded shut, can’t insert the key. Sprayed penetrating oil in the and let it sit, no luck. Tried using a flat head screwdriver and hammer to break it loose and nothing. I used lock lubricant when I first installed them. If anyone has any ideas.

·
Registered
Overland
5 Posts
Is the consensus that these racks the only ones currently available on the market that will fit directly to factory SRT black style molding rails? For the price doesn't seem you can beat it, but little concerned about quality. Would also wait for black color to become available.

I would prefer more of a flush mount but the only place I can find the discontinued Whispbar S25 recommended from all other threads is from Australia for ~$500 once you factor international shipping in. Will keep looking for a set closer to home, if anyone knows where they are available. My understanding is for all the other Thule and Yakima crossbars you would have to change out the factory black mold rails.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is the consensus that these racks the only ones currently available on the market that will fit directly to factory SRT black style molding rails? For the price doesn't seem you can beat it, but little concerned about quality. Would also wait for black color to become available.

I would prefer more of a flush mount but the only place I can find the discontinued Whispbar S25 recommended from all other threads is from Australia for ~$500 once you factor international shipping in. Will keep looking for a set closer to home, if anyone knows where they are available. My understanding is for all the other Thule and Yakima crossbars you would have to change out the factory black mold rails.
Can’t speak to SRT specifically, but have them for my 2014 Limited. Can’t really beat the price, in terms of quality, the crossbars works fine. My only issue has been all 4 locks corroding badly in a year of being on my jeep to the point where I couldn’t insert the key, just had to order a new set of locks from ASG for $28.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts