Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Curious as to what alternatives are all out for protecting the lower rocker panel.

Right now I have 3M installed, but would like something better. I know some sort of "step boards" should work, but I haven't really seen any that look like they will protect it very well (plus I am not sure I want to install any). :D

The 3M that is there now is mostly working, but looks like it needs better coverage. :eek:

So looking for what others have used.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Perhaps some mud guards in the front?

I have rocker panels as well in my 2019 JGC HA but looking to install the running boards that will actually fit with the rocker panels. Didn't know that some running boards will protect the rocker panels.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
59 Posts
I'm curious about options as well. Over the weekend I was detailing my Trailhawk and I could see the small road scratches and chips in the paint--I was thinking outside the box on ways to protect certain areas.

Some Wrangler aftermarket company make like a magnetic decal sheet that adheres to the metal of the car and protects the paint--I guess they call it "body armour"--it would be nice if there was an option like this for WK2's--on my vehicle it would look good in a matte black finish, like my hood decal--but it might look odd on dressier style Overlands and Limiteds. I was thinking about maybe also just looking into vinyl wrapping certain sections of my vehicle to protect it.

Here's a link to the stuff: https://www.extremeterrain.com/rr-m...VCP5kCh2XNAmtEAQYASABEgJ5UPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
Trailhawk
59 Posts
I'm curious about options as well. Over the weekend I was detailing my Trailhawk and I could see the small road scratches and chips in the paint--I was thinking outside the box on ways to protect certain areas.

Some Wrangler aftermarket company make like a magnetic decal sheet that adheres to the metal of the car and protects the paint--I guess they call it "body armour"--it would be nice if there was an option like this for WK2's--on my vehicle it would look good in a matte black finish, like my hood decal--but it might look odd on dressier style Overlands and Limiteds. I was thinking about maybe also just looking into vinyl wrapping certain sections of my vehicle to protect it.

Here's a link to the stuff: https://www.extremeterrain.com/rr-m...VCP5kCh2XNAmtEAQYASABEgJ5UPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I permanently solved my rocker panel and lower door scratch/rock chip issues on my old XJ by painting them with rattle can Rustoleum bed liner.
While this might not be appropriate for newer Jeeps in all cases, it does work great.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I think I am probably just going to remove the 3M pre-cut pieces there and get some bulk 3M Pro Series film and just cover a larger area.

But I am still tossing around the idea of some running boards, I am partial to these ones, which some say will fit the High Altitude, but I think I would be happier if they were 5" vs. the 5.5". I only need them to protect the body not so much for help getting in/out. Just got to find something similar in Canada that is not going to cost me $600+ (Canadian sites seem to like raking us over the coals) - that or I will just pick these up when I am in the US in August. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/TAC-2011-2018-Cherokee-Altitude-equipped/dp/B013UK40OI

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I am probably just going to remove the 3M pre-cut pieces there and get some bulk 3M Pro Series film and just cover a larger area.
Did you ever try the PPF? I agree, the factory film doesn’t cover the enough of the area. I have rock chips all around that area.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you ever try the PPF? I agree, the factory film doesn’t cover the enough of the area. I have rock chips all around that area.
I ended up having the whole area cover with LLumar film. A bit thicker, but still takes a beating and looks like I will have to replace it again.

Note I also have mud guards on the front, but that only protects the first 1/2 of the rocker. Guess that is the price I pay for traveling off paved roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up having the whole area cover with LLumar film. A bit thicker, but still takes a beating and looks like I will have to replace it again.

Note I also have mud guards on the front, but that only protects the first 1/2 of the rocker. Guess that is the price I pay for traveling off paved roads.
Thanks! Did you have it professionally installed? Folks in my area won’t give me a quote for just that area so I have to consider diy. It’s such a strange area to cut film for though. I have chips on the rocker panel and nearly halfway up the door.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Did you have it professionally installed? Folks in my area won’t give me a quote for just that area so I have to consider diy. It’s such a strange area to cut film for though. I have chips on the rocker panel and nearly halfway up the door.
Yes, I had it done with a local installer. They applied it to the whole rocker (removed the front mud flaps so they could install it under them as well), rear wheel molding about 1/2 ways up and the rear door (back 1/4 of it). It costed me CAN$200 installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts