Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2005 jeep from a used car lot for pretty cheap, so far its mechanical sound. I changed the spark plugs, oil, check all the fluids, changed the air filter, tires and getting ready to change the brake all the way around. It has 120,000 miles on it. Is they anything else I should change out on in before I lift it.

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
2,396 Posts
transmission fluid , transfer case fluid, differential fluid ... Might as well do it all. You dont know when the last time it was done.

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
2,396 Posts
no , Just change the tranny fluid and filters ( drop pan) , empty the transfercase and refill.

Remove the differential covers ,clean it out real good with Brake clean , get all the metal shavings out and refill

·
Registered
Limited
453 Posts
I bought my 2005 jeep from a used car lot for pretty cheap, so far its mechanical sound. I changed the spark plugs, oil, check all the fluids, changed the air filter, tires and getting ready to change the brake all the way around. It has 120,000 miles on it. Is there anything else I should change out on in before I lift it.
Engine?

Congratulations on your Grand Cherokee. Hope you have fun with it.

If you do not know the maintenance history, 4 other candidates for the 5.7L HEMI are the serpentine belt (60K miles), EGR valve, PVC valve (60 K miles), and MAP sensor. Do the EGR valve at same time as the serpentine belt and save some frustration.

Think the '05's also have plug wires to check. jeepgcoman recommends Taylor "Shorties" as replacements. The '08's have coil-on-plug, so it's not for my model year.

These may also be good candidates for other engines, but I'm not as conversant with those. Other members can chime in.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont want to replace the engine, its runs like a champ other than the not so great gas mileage, but i did have it check out at firestone and the only thing that they told me to do was flush the fuel lines and the brake line, other that it was fine. i just wanted so fellow jeep members to tell me what they think. its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 L v6 2wd. with 120,000 miles on it. i forgot to post it earlier.. im also trying to learn more about the mechanic side of things because i really dont know how to do that much. I have learned somethings on a GMC envoy that my girlfriend owns.. so any tips or hints of how to do things will be very helpful

·
Registered
Limited
453 Posts
i dont want to replace the engine, .. its a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 L v6 2wd. with 120,000 miles on it. i forgot to post it earlier.. ...
My question was not to replace the engine.....just wanted to find out which one you already have! :lol:

Each engne has its own quirks and other members on the site can help you better if they know how your rig is outfitted.

Lots of good info here: WKJeeps.com - 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee menu Has parts manual and owners manual you can download.

·
Premium Member
2005 WK
2,396 Posts
serpentine belt is a great one Walt ! That was on of the first thing I replaced on mine when I bought it.
It become one of those automatic maintenance things or if the water pump goes bad.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got everything done and my jeep is running great, there is one more noise that i'm kinda know what it is but unsure at the same time. when i take sharp turn i hear a click noise under the drive side. from past experience i think it might be the tire rod or axle. has anyone had any problems similar. it almost sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle, like kids use to do.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright I'm pretty much stumped right now with my jeep, about 2 times a week when I start my car it cranks up and dies immediately, but it starts right back up after that. My battery checks just fine along with starter and alternator, so I'm lost at what's going on, any ideas? And when I pull my e-brake the drive side cable works but my passengers side has stop working can someone direct me to how to fix this as well.

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay well it has finally come time to have an actual issues with my jeep. The heater core went out, no biggie replaced it, after 2 weeks of waiting for parts and ripping apart the dash. Well I'm still have issues with my jeep it's still leaking fluid all in the passenger side floor. I'm really don't know what the he'll to do can someone throw me out ideas...

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Figured out what it was after taking my car apart at the parts store. It's the heater core line, one of the lines has been damaged when the heater core messed up. But you can't get these parts from a regular parts store I'm heading to jeep dealer 75 buck and I'm hoping this is it for now. 3 weeks of fighting with it. I'm just ready to have some fun

·
Registered
2005 Jeep wk laredo
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have an electrical problem when i first turn my headlights on sometime all the lights inside the jeep along with my headlights and tails lights turn into strobe lights and cant be stopped unless you turn the brights on then back off, however this only works sometimes. any idea? im open and willing to try anything. and does anyone know where you can get the fitting that the brake light goes in for my jeep. there is a short in it as well and so my driver side tail light only work part time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts