Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to make fake wood trim less shiny (Laredo X)?

I am referring to 4 long and narrow trim pieces - 2 across the dashboard and one across each of front doors.

I looked into it and it seems there is a lot of options of new finishes to be glued on top of existing trim. I don't really like this approach.

What I would like is either complete trim replacement for these pieces only (however, I haven't found anybody online who sells that for 2011 or older models) or just sanding them with sand paper (or similar process)

Any suggestions? Any quality shops in NYC area that could be contacted about sanding approach?

·
Registered
816 Posts
You could probably have a matte clear sprayed onto those pieces after masking them, but you are probably facing two problems: 1. sanding to scuff the surface for the clear to adhere may quickly get into the wood grain appearance, and 2. the pieces are probably bonded to the dash and door panels rather than being easily removable so masking the edges may be tricky.

·
Registered
Jeep G. Cherokee
1,564 Posts
Taking them off will usually do the trick. I am not fond of the wood trim personally. Carbon fiber on the other hand.........

·
Registered
Jeep G. Cherokee
1,564 Posts
There are a few companies out there but their names slip my mind right now. Hopefully someone else will chime in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course the WK2 is too new, but this will give you the sense of what was available for the WK, and its various materials. Yes, they are a substitution piece, and not a decal to apply. Some kits are molded to adhere over the existing material, so you don't remove the existing to apply the new material.

http://www.wooddash.com/item/JEEP_Dash_Kits_GRANDCHEROKEE_2008_UP
I am new to this but if it adheres over the existing material - doesn't it mean this is a decal? My understanding is if original trim isn't removed then it is decal

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I can Laminate them for you if you don't mind being without them for some time. BTW Real Carbon not some stick on stuff. I'll need a some pics of the pieces you have in mind.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No, they're not a decal, but are molded with curved edges to cover the existing trims. They are veneered onto a substrate material.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I can Laminate them for you if you don't mind being without them for some time. BTW Real Carbon not some stick on stuff. I'll need a some pics of the pieces you have in mind.
I don't mind being without them for some time but other members mentioned these trim pieces may not be removable.

Take a look here:

What I have in mind is wood piece above front passenger glove compartment and another piece on the door, same for the left side. Does it explain it?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I don't mind being without them for some time but other members mentioned these trim pieces may not be removable.

Take a look here:

What I have in mind is wood piece above front passenger glove compartment and another piece on the door, same for the left side. Does it explain it?
Yep exactly!!
Your in NY I'm in Boston I could get them off depending how much time it takes it could get pricy.

I would go to the dealer and check on the availability of replacement pieces and send them to me then Ebay the others when you take them off or I just may take them off your hands when you get the finished ones back from me for whatever you paid the dealer.

·
Banned
2014 Overland
1,274 Posts
fake wood in the laredo? why would they put real wood in the overland and fake in the laredo? i wonder what the fake wood looks like? all ive seen is the overland trim. can anyone post a pic?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Those pieces could easily be covered in vinyl and probably wouldn't even need to be removed if you find someone with good skills. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
i actually like the black, but to each their own...
I agree, I have the Laredo X with black interior. I'll have to take a closer look at mine later but I never saw it to be a "fake wood" look. It doesn't really look like wood grain to me, almost like a swirl pattern with a light reflective fleck to it. Hard to explain but I really like it. More of a tech like look maybe a cross between CF and woodgrain.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts