Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can you go to the dealer and purchase this? I was trying from the mopar website but it's having issues, plus you have to wait for delivery. I can't believe you can't download it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
Can you go to the dealer and purchase this? I was trying from the mopar website but it's having issues, plus you have to wait for delivery. I can't believe you an't download it somewhere.
This is the only way you can get a map update:
Chrysler Group | Home | HERE
There are threads on the forum explaining the trials and tribulations of the process.

Reactions: SirEagle

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I bought the update and now can't get it to install. Get a system error trying to activate online and the request codes to put in for the updates fail. You wouldn't think this would be as much a pain as it is.

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it to load, don't remember what I was doing wrong. "Is it worth it", mine was three years old and it did add new roads. However on one trip I took with the new software I drove on a highway that was completed late last year in Mississippi and it had the road but told me it was a restricted area and would not route me on it. All in all I believe it was worth it, but it should be free.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,576 Posts
I wonder if the map update is worth it
I updated mine. Wish I had saved the $150. The one trip I used it on it gave me terrible routing suggestions, on one leg it tried to send me an extra 150 miles out of the way. I just use Google Maps on my Phone 99% of the time. Not only is GMap much more reliable, it has real time UP TO DATE traffic data and the whole interface is way easier to use.

·
Registered
Jeep GC Limited 4x4
65 Posts
I wonder if the map update is worth it
NO, your phone gets free updates and the map database it pulls from (google, apple, waze, maps are us, whatever you use) is probably the best in the world.

I bet a printed map from the 90's is probably more accurate than the UCONNECT maps.

Daily updates are common and expected in EVERY app or application.
The fact auto manufactures are still using the Encyclopedia Britannica way of updating once per year is amazing. And the fact there are human beings who buy and still subscribe yearly $$$$$$$ to this arcane method of data distribution is insane.

SirEagle, buy a used $25 smart phone, tape it to the dashboard and use waze or google maps or something for Christ's sakes...

·
Registered
2015 Grand Cherokee
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SirEagle, buy a used $25 smart phone, tape it to the dashboard and use waze or google maps or something for Christ's sakes...
Yeah I want my Jeep to look like shit. :fthat:

The uconnect works fine as long as the roads are not new. And you get the turns showing on the dash. Plus the screen is just slightly larger than a cell phone. Also did you ever notice it tells you what lanes you need to be in at major highway interchanges. And also shows the posted speed limit. It is actually very useful.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I agree with SirEagle about the Uconnect nav being a great design. I love using it when the data is good. But, the way the map data is updated is a complete farce. HERE should just give it up, and let someone else give it a shot. I also agree with Kortoga about waze and google maps. I always check them before I leave on a trip for up to date info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts