Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new to this whole thing so take it easy on me haha. So I bought my wife a 2011 wk2 in the overland trim with the 5.7 Hemi. My parents had a Chrysler 300c with the Hemi and I loved it. I knew the 5.7 has been around for a while now so I figured that it's gotta be a pretty solid engine by now. I however, did not realize that it has the MDS system until after I bought it. This worried me cause I've seen a lot of GM vehicles have lots of issues from similar systems in their trucks and suvs.

So my question is, do I need to be worried?

Has Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge got it figured out??
Should I spend the money and have the mds system deleted? It has 117000 miles on it and I do NOT want my wife stranded anywhere haha
It's bone stock minus the SRT wheels I'm getting tomorrow, (although that has nothing to do with the performance).

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
NO, you do not need to be worried. The MDS on the Hemi works extremely well and is nearly imperceptible. It would also be extremely difficult to "delete" since it's internal to the vehicle computers.

Since you bought a nearly 10 year old vehicle with 117K miles on it, you'll want to pay more attention to things like its service record, recalls, etc....

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
140 Posts
It can be deleted, but requires new cam, rockers and forget what else. Just not worth it, but you can use a tuner to shut it off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that in the GMs if you delete it electronically it still will have issues eventually? But that's good to here that it's a better system.

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
The system is sound and spending money to disable it on a MY11 vehicle wouldn't be even close to the top of my own consideration list. The biggest risk is most likely some QuadraLift air suspension components unless that's a 2WD Overland.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 4x4, but we've got a stack of cash aside for when it does haha. Supposedly the previous owner put a new compressor in, but I know how good of quality aftermarket parts are these days so you can never be to careful haha

·
Registered
776 Posts
Love the MDS feature - as Jim says, it’s hardly noticeable except for a very slight vibration at low rpm under light loading. LOTS of HEMI’s out there with very few issues attributable to MDS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts