Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm new to this whole thing so take it easy on me haha. So I bought my wife a 2011 wk2 in the overland trim with the 5.7 Hemi. My parents had a Chrysler 300c with the Hemi and I loved it. I knew the 5.7 has been around for a while now so I figured that it's gotta be a pretty solid engine by now. I however, did not realize that it has the MDS system until after I bought it. This worried me cause I've seen a lot of GM vehicles have lots of issues from similar systems in their trucks and suvs.

So my question is, do I need to be worried?

Has Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge got it figured out??
Should I spend the money and have the mds system deleted? It has 117000 miles on it and I do NOT want my wife stranded anywhere haha
It's bone stock minus the SRT wheels I'm getting tomorrow, (although that has nothing to do with the performance).

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
NO, you do not need to be worried. The MDS on the Hemi works extremely well and is nearly imperceptible. It would also be extremely difficult to "delete" since it's internal to the vehicle computers.

Since you bought a nearly 10 year old vehicle with 117K miles on it, you'll want to pay more attention to things like its service record, recalls, etc....

Reactions: IDoMy0wnRacing

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
893 Posts
It can be deleted, but requires new cam, rockers and forget what else. Just not worth it, but you can use a tuner to shut it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that in the GMs if you delete it electronically it still will have issues eventually? But that's good to here that it's a better system.

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
The system is sound and spending money to disable it on a MY11 vehicle wouldn't be even close to the top of my own consideration list. The biggest risk is most likely some QuadraLift air suspension components unless that's a 2WD Overland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a 4x4, but we've got a stack of cash aside for when it does haha. Supposedly the previous owner put a new compressor in, but I know how good of quality aftermarket parts are these days so you can never be to careful haha

·
Registered
813 Posts
Love the MDS feature - as Jim says, it’s hardly noticeable except for a very slight vibration at low rpm under light loading. LOTS of HEMI’s out there with very few issues attributable to MDS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok so I'm new to this whole thing so take it easy on me haha. So I bought my wife a 2011 wk2 in the overland trim with the 5.7 Hemi. My parents had a Chrysler 300c with the Hemi and I loved it. I knew the 5.7 has been around for a while now so I figured that it's gotta be a pretty solid engine by now. I however, did not realize that it has the MDS system until after I bought it. This worried me cause I've seen a lot of GM vehicles have lots of issues from similar systems in their trucks and suvs.

So my question is, do I need to be worried?

Has Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge got it figured out??
Should I spend the money and have the mds system deleted? It has 117000 miles on it and I do NOT want my wife stranded anywhere haha
It's bone stock minus the SRT wheels I'm getting tomorrow, (although that has nothing to do with the performance).
I personally hate the MDS.
Im unsure as to why anyone here says they like it, unless they just havent given it enough time to destroy their engine.
We had to replace the whole engine because of MDS. It takes a good while but no matter how good you take care of your jeep, the MDS WILL cause some major repairs to be needed.

Ill save you the time and money we spent trying to figure out what had happened to our jeep but the dealer ended up telling us that he absolutely hates the MDS and doesnt know why jeep did that to us. It causes the engine to pretty much eat itself. He said its pretty dumb to do that to a hemi and that if someone wants a v8, then it should just be v8, and same for 4 cylinder engines.
It causes damage to the lifters and the cam over time.
We spent a good few thousand trying to figure out what exactly was causing us issues, as the jeep was kicking over far too soon eventually and the shuddering finally ended up getting gradually worse, so bad that it was shaking the whole vehicle in jerking motions. The only actual damage that they found was to the cam and the lifters.
For a while, it helped to manually shift the vehicle, but by the time we figured out that we needed to even do that it was a bit late and damage had been done so it only gave us a little extra time.

Since we had no idea that the MDS had caused this issue, we had blown money on replacing the lifters in bank 1, where codes first popped up, but it just redamaged them anyhow because of the MDS. It was a waste of money and thankfully we finally got that all figured out, but the whole engine needed replaced at that point. There was too much damage done by the time we figured out what was going on.
Now that the engine is replaced, we plan to take it to a tuner to get the MDS disabled. We dont want this happening again and the little boost to fuel economy isnt worth the damage it does...

Idk if you have a warranty (we dont anymore) but if you dont, id go ahead and take it in the disable the MDS before you end up having to replace the whole engine in a year or two.

Either way, if you dont turn it off, and it starts throwing issues for you and shuddering a lot, try shifting manually. Itll at least give you a little more time with your vehicle before it self implodes. lol

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
Im unsure as to why anyone here says they like it, unless they just havent given it enough time to destroy their engine.
We had to replace the whole engine because of MDS. It takes a good while but no matter how good you take care of your jeep, the MDS WILL cause some major repairs to be needed.
Here's the thing...it's not a common thing for MDS to cause any damage at all, let alone major damage and it's not an uncommon thing, either, across multiple manufacturers that use V8 engines. So your last sentence simply isn't true. But I do feel for you that you had the issues you did. That happens. Sometimes.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
893 Posts
Just a heads up, it's been proven that disabling the MDS will not solve the problem. The problem is the lifters used. A performance shop tuned the MDS out from the start and still ran into the same issue. He pulled the lifters and cam and went with Non-MDS lifters and cam and never had anymore issues. This was on a RAM w/HEMI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's the thing...it's not a common thing for MDS to cause any damage at all, let alone major damage and it's not an uncommon thing, either, across multiple manufacturers that use V8 engines. So your last sentence simply isn't true. But I do feel for you that you had the issues you did. That happens. Sometimes.
lol So you admit its not an uncommon issue but at the same time say that what I said is simply not true.
Everything I said has to do with the fact that it isnt an uncommon issue.
So which is it?
Is it not uncommon or is what I said not true and its not common? It cant be both.
Saying its not common but not uncommon makes no sense at all.
Being in between the two makes it common enough to be a common thing.
I think ill take the advice from the dealer and their mechanics, as well as multiple other mechanics we took it to, over one guy on the net.
That and my own personal experience with it. lol
And before im told that the dealer had some reason to tell me that, to make money, he didnt. He made no money off of me and I didnt even buy the jeep from him. He didnt even charge us for some of the testing that was done on it because he felt bad that we were having so many issues with it.
It ties directly to the MDS crap. They shouldnt have put that junk in the jeeps at all. Especially the ones with a hemi.
If i had known about the whole issue before buying this jeep, i would have went with something else.

All in all, it IS something to look out for and the issues do tie to the MDS. There is a decent enough chance that anyone with one of these jeeps will have to do some major repairs due to the MDS junk in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a heads up, it's been proven that disabling the MDS will not solve the problem. The problem is the lifters used. A performance shop tuned the MDS out from the start and still ran into the same issue. He pulled the lifters and cam and went with Non-MDS lifters and cam and never had anymore issues. This was on a RAM w/HEMI.
So is it needing the non MDS lifters and cam AND to disable the MDS or just the came and lifters replaced?
Itll be good to know in the future. Though, if this junk happens again, I likely will just prefer to get a different vehicle that has no MDS, if im able.
Either way, im extremely unhappy with the MDS being part of the jeep. Especially with a hemi.
It just honestly seems silly and more harmful than anything.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
893 Posts
Both the lifters and cam need to be swapped for non-MDS. The lifters are specific to the cam. Yeah quite a few people hate the MDS option. I used a tuner and always turned mine off when I had the RAM. That is just as bad when people buy a V8 asking about MPG or swapping in bigger tires and heavier bumpers asking about MPG. I find it comical myself.

·
Super Moderator
8,943 Posts
I've been here since mid-2012 and I cannot remember anyone every talking about or having to do anything with the valve lifters in a JGC Hemi. Perhaps I missed it, but...

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,394 Posts
I've been here since mid-2012 and I cannot remember anyone every talking about or having to do anything with the valve lifters in a JGC Hemi. Perhaps I missed it, but...
i've been here just as long. there has always been the so called Hemi tick. The problem isnt with MDS and Lifters/cam per say but with way they get oiled. the Gen3 Hemi Design the Crank and Cam are far apart and they do not get as much splash oil at low rpm or idling simply. leading to potential lack of lubrication which can indeed cause the roller bearing on the tips to get less oil. which can cause it fail to roll as smoothly or simply fail. Seen mainly on the SRT platforms MDS or not lifter roller bearing fails and they replace them with Hellcat Lifters as there is a better design in them.

Also note there was an Improper Dipstick installed in nearly all the early hemi's and up to 2015. Which basically showed Full when it was really a Quart low on oil.

Me Personally have 142k on MY12 SRT and I change the oil frequently and Romp on it ever chance i drive it. with mechanical anything It's not if it's when it will fail.

·
Registered
JGC
188 Posts
@xJoshxx Note that the Improper Dipstick installed read 1 quart low when full. Until I realized the dipstick mistake, I was adding oil and likely running a quart high at times. Can't believe the Dealers did not check this and replace when they took it in on trade or did service to the vehicle, or at a minimum point me to the parts department and tell me to buy the correct dipstick. But almost all dealers train their employees to "act dumb", horrible service, but can see how it benefits them.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,671 Posts
Ok, after FIAT took over, there were more than a few m/y's of Hemi suffering failed lifters, that also destroy the cam. That has been determined not to be the MDS system, but everyone figured it had to be.... ...even though those with lifter problems weren't for the cylinders that deactivate.... .....people who tear the engines down, have stated its an oil problem at idle combined with a drop in quality of the lifters.... ....yet many people assumed it had to be the MDS....

Also, the Owners Manual says that you have to use 5W-20 oil and none other because of the MDS, if you haven't been using 5W-20 that could be behind MDS problems....

I purchased my vehicle used, the dealer selling it was replacing one of the MDS solenoids when I looked at it. Never had a problem with MDS at all. I have never felt vibration from it at low rpm. I've had the vehicle 2 years, and I can complain about a lot of failures, but not the MDS....

Not sure why a dealer would tell you the MDS causes the engine to eat itself? How?

·
Premium Member
SRT8
2,394 Posts
@xJoshxx Note that the Improper Dipstick installed read 1 quart low when full. Until I realized the dipstick mistake, I was adding oil and likely running a quart high at times. Can't believe the Dealers did not check this and replace when they took it in on trade or did service to the vehicle, or at a minimum point me to the parts department and tell me to buy the correct dipstick. But almost all dealers train their employees to "act dumb", horrible service, but can see how it benefits them.
There were multiple Revisions of the Dipstick On the 6.4 The Dipstick read Full when it was a Quart Low.

6.4's have the wrong dipstick! Here is my thread on it.

·
Registered
JGC
188 Posts
@xJoshxx True. I should have referenced my statement was regarding the 5.7 hemi.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,671 Posts
Overfilling on oil can create problems, not the least of them foaming oil, that can create damage... ....I could see foaming oil causing lifter failures (I don't know if that is what is behind lifter failures), but if you're getting blue clouds of smoke out the exhaust when accelerating, I've got to consider the oil may be foaming....

....running 6qts of oil instead of 7qts? I don't see it being that likely... ....running a low enough oil level,that you're sucking air into the oil system, yes, certainly it is causing damage, being down a qt, especially with a 7qt capacity, I don't see it being likely....

....and the 5.7L dipstick problem was it would cause you to add a quart to much if you filled it to the level of full on the dipstick...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts