Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed at Costco.

So far, a really great tire choice with good tread depth. Haven't driven on highway yet but so far, smooth and nice ride overall. For most people, this seems to be a great tire to get. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input from other forum members!

·
Registered
Trailhawk
104 Posts
These tires have an almost cult following on various truck boards. Tread pattern has been around in previous LTX M/S versions and many claim them as the best general duty SUV/truck tire ever made. That Michelin improved the compound for longer wear and tougher duty with the Defender line is just icing on the cake.

Have these on my wrangler and at 8k miles the dealership was scratching their head during my service - saying they literally haven't worn down so much as a 32nd so we don't see a need to rotate them. Smooth, dead silent and look good to boot, great choice!

I know the Premier LTX is said to be the 'better' choice for just on road driving vs the defender, but I like the Defender better.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I consider the Defender to be the perfect SUV/truck tire so much, that I had a set put on my brand new 2016 Summit, the very day I picked it up from the dealer!

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I consider the Defender to be the perfect SUV/truck tire so much, that I had a set put on my brand new 2016 Summit, the very day I picked it up from the dealer!
That's what came across my mind too --- when order a 2018 to negotiate a tire swap into the deal to get the Defenders! MUUUUCH better tire!

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,845 Posts
Its the tire that does a little bit of everything well, just like the grand cherokee. Wish it didnt take me 38k miles to get a set on to my GC.

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's what came across my mind too --- when order a 2018 to negotiate a tire swap into the deal to get the Defenders! MUUUUCH better tire!
FYI, the dealer didn't offer much for the Pirelli's that came off of it. I ended up driving across the street to Discount. They had a good price on the Defenders, and gave me $400 for the take-offs. Also got lucky with it being the last day of a $100 rebate offer from Michelin.

You might have better luck with your dealer negotiating it into an order from the get go.

·
Registered
WK2 Summit EcoDiesel
42 Posts
I've had LTX'S on Jeeps, vans, trucks, you name it over many years. Definately the go to all around solution, especially in the South. The only tire, in versions as it evolved, I've bought for over 30 years.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts

So far, a really great tire choice with good tread depth. Haven't driven on highway yet but so far, smooth and nice ride overall. For most people, this seems to be a great tire to get. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the input from other forum members!
Greetings,

As long as you are happy is what counts the most.

Best for now.:)

Reactions: marktwoa

·
Registered
'15 Overland
476 Posts
I am getting these installed next week. My stock fortera's are pretty much shot and I only have 22,500 miles on them. Dealership said I would make it to the end of summer but while on vacation one got a cut that can't be repaired. Riding around with spare till it get back home Monday. Last winter with my fortera's I couldn't even drive above 50mph without getting loose. I was getting passed by semi's on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
I did the same recently...same tire and same source/installer. VERY satisfied so far.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Has anyone had Nitto Terra Grapplers and switched to the Defenders (or vice versa?). What differences did you notice?

·
Super Moderator
9,492 Posts
Has anyone had Nitto Terra Grapplers and switched to the Defenders (or vice versa?). What differences did you notice?
These two tires are not very comparable...one is an AT (Nitto) and the other is a highway tire.

Reactions: bootleg

·
Registered
JGC Overland
25 Posts
For those with 20's, did you stick with the stock tire size (265/50)?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
'15 Overland
476 Posts
Yes I am sticking with stock size. I was thinking of 275/55-20 BF KO2's but decided not to. My plan is aftermarket summer wheels but lost a tire due to cut so it accelerated get new tires before getting them and putting winter tires on stock 20's. Been waiting for Velgen to release the 20 inch version of the vmb5's. Might get 22 inch one instead just still thinking about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just put on a set of Michelin LTX M/S' the other day. Still need some breaking in but already huuuuughe improvement over the stock GYs. It's already been said - "the only thing I'm upset about is I didn't do it earlier." :) They ride and look great (haven't had the opportunity to try them in any kind of real weather yet). Initial impression - Winner!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Happy with my 20's coming from the Forteras. Interestingly, they weigh 4 lbs more each than the factory tires.

·
Registered
'15 Overland
476 Posts
Got mine installed today. Ride is smooth as it should be being new tires. Got a $70.00 rebate as well. Getting the cut in one of the tires accelerated the purchase of new tires but not by much time. Needed new tires by end of summer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Purchased a set of these before a road trip this past weekend and am very impressed with the responsiveness and ride quality. These are 1000x better than the Yokohama YK580 that were purchased 2 years ago.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts