Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to update anyone thinking about buying these tires after my experience with them. I bought them in 6/16 and with 25000 miles on them they are down to 3/32 and had to replace. That is with regular rotations and alignment and air pressure. Pretty disappointed at such poor longevity after reading great reviews. My tire dealer told me he’s seeing quite a few customers having the same problem. The only good thing is that Michelin has a good prorated warranty and I was able to get a $520 credit. I bought the defenders and he said they will definitely last a lot longer. They are 12/32 compared to 8/32 so that is a good start. It still cost me another $620 :mad: If these tires don’t live up to their 70000 warranty, then it’s time to go to another brand.

·
Registered
High Altitude
22 Posts
Was thinking the Premier would be my next tire. Looking for the best and quite ride i could get. Would like to know your thoughts between the Premiers and the Defenders.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, only about 100 miles on them. I wish I could try out in the snow. Have to wait until December. But, the defenders seem to be as smooth and quiet as the premiers.

·
Registered
16 75th 3.6
840 Posts
I have about 12k on my premiers on my 16 75th from the factory and they seem to be wearing well. They really are a great tire. Like you said the tread depth is the only thing I don’t like about them. Probably going with the defender or Yokohama GO15’s when these wear out.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Premiers are soft quiet and comfortable, unfortunately when you get that, you give up mileage....
Defenders are harder and more like a highway mile tire, but may not be as good if you are needing an all season type tire....

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
My Defenders still have the "manufacturing fuzz" on them after about 15K miles and still measure 12/32. I wish I would have bought them sooner... ;)

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Premiers are soft quiet and comfortable, unfortunately when you get that, you give up mileage....
Defenders are harder and more like a highway mile tire, but may not be as good if you are needing an all season type tire....
The Defender is a modestly good all season, light snow, tire.
The Premier is a nice quiet tire, reasonable traction. Not in the same class as the Defender.

·
Registered
High Altitude
22 Posts
So far, only about 100 miles on them. I wish I could try out in the snow. Have to wait until December. But, the defenders seem to be as smooth and quiet as the premiers.
Thanks, I'm hoping a better tire will help with the hard ride over small bumps in the road going slow i can feel and hear every little thing. Other vehicles you don't even notice these bumps driving me crazy.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
104 Posts
Was thinking the Premier would be my next tire. Looking for the best and quite ride i could get. Would like to know your thoughts between the Premiers and the Defenders.
I can't speak to the defender LTX vs the premier LTX directly - as I have never had them on the same car to side by side compare. However, I have the Defender LTX on my wrangler, and Premier on the GC. Ive been a lifelong Michelin fan, have always gone with them on replacement tires both car and SUV and have even at times dumped OEM tires at delivery for Michelin at my dealer.

That being the case, the premier LTX has not really impressed me all that much considering the usually high Michelin standard. Ive known quite a few folks who have reported early wear as well on their OEM premiers. Now I am speaking to the OE fitment on the WK2, if you compare the sidewall side by side with the retail version and most other sizes it is a slightly different design - though pretty sure compound is the same with the same wear ratings.

The Defender LTX is my favorite SUV tire, but it is very much a truck/SUV tire; in other words it likely won't be as refined in some ways as a crossover tire like the Premier LTX. It rides a little more like a truck tire, but on SUVs I kinda like that feel. You will give up some traction both wet and dry, but you won't beat it for treadwear if that is your thing, they wear like iron. Plus they look better on a Jeep.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,548 Posts
I can't speak to the defender LTX vs the premier LTX directly - as I have never had them on the same car to side by side compare. However, I have the Defender LTX on my wrangler, and Premier on the GC. Ive been a lifelong Michelin fan, have always gone with them on replacement tires both car and SUV and have even at times dumped OEM tires at delivery for Michelin at my dealer.

That being the case, the premier LTX has not really impressed me all that much considering the usually high Michelin standard. Ive known quite a few folks who have reported early wear as well on their OEM premiers. Now I am speaking to the OE fitment on the WK2, if you compare the sidewall side by side with the retail version and most other sizes it is a slightly different design - though pretty sure compound is the same with the same wear ratings.

The Defender LTX is my favorite SUV tire, but it is very much a truck/SUV tire; in other words it likely won't be as refined in some ways as a crossover tire like the Premier LTX. It rides a little more like a truck tire, but on SUVs I kinda like that feel. You will give up some traction both wet and dry, but you won't beat it for treadwear if that is your thing, they wear like iron. Plus they look better on a Jeep.
I had to have two michelin tires on my PT Cruiser replaced under warranty and Discount said they no longer made the model tires I had so they put Defenders on it. I don't know if there are different kinds of Defenders but the ones on my PT Cruiser seem no different at all in terms of noise, ride, handling then the first set of "Car tire" michelins. And those michlins were about the same as the original factory goodyear tires for noise ride handling.

·
The Negotiator
5,364 Posts
I have the Premier LTX on my '17 and getting rid of them with only 14k miles. Normal dry conditions they are fine but in winter they really sucked. I did not feel confident when driving these in the winter so I'm going back to the Defender LTX tires. I had these on my '14 and loved them.

I actually bought a buddies 20" rims from his '14 that had Blizzacks on them (going to sell the tires as they are almost brand new) and putting the Defenders on the new rims. He had them powder coated right before he sold his jeep to get a truck. couldn't pass up the deal for $500

1 - 11 of 11 Posts