Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I had a 5.7 GC and now I just bought my 2014 GC SRT!!!!!!!!!:headbang:
I know there are mixed opinions but just wanted to clarify, will the dual tailend mufflers\resonator delete cause any torq or HP lost?

I see some Axle back exhaust eliminates the two tailend mufflers
I noticed a lot of catback systems delete the mid "suitcase" with an X-pipe and still have some sort of muffler cans on the tailend of their system which leads me to believe the truck needs some sort of tailend mufflers for back pressure.

I'm I correct

·
Administrator
56,630 Posts
Yes....that would be correct. Most delete what we call the suitcase muffler and add resonators at the tips.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes....that would be correct. Most delete what we call the suitcase muffler and add resonators at the tips.
Thanks for the clarification Scottina06. I might just delete the Mid-suitcase with an X-pipe and keep the two resonators and see how that works out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Most do the suitcase/ x-pipe modification and leave the stock mufflers. Both the suitcase and the mufflers are pass through systems(inside the housing its a corrogated pipe surrounded by matting to dampen sound/frequencies) so removing either or both will have a negligible effect on backpressures. The X-pipe upgrade will balance out the banks a bit which in theory should help with scavenger effects. To date I'm not aware of anyone showing conclusively a gain or loss in hp/tq just by doing the suitcase removal. The main reason people do the x-pipe is to get a bit more of a grump and increase in sound from the exhaust. Still very mellow and DD pleasing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts