Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I was pulling the F60 fuse to sort out the tranny smoothness, I noticed that only the the driver's side has a seal towards the front of the hood when you have it open. The seal looks like it is there to keep water out of the headlight assembly?

Can anyone tell me if both sides are supposed to have a rubber seal? I am thinking that the passenger side was not installed at the factory.

Thanks!

· Registered
789 Posts
I noticed this too. I called the dealer and they said it is only for one side. If you notice the side that has the seal also has the air intake. They said that seal it is for air flow. I even called parts and he confirmed. The V8 may have it on both sides. Not sure.

· Registered
437 Posts
Same question came up back in '11. The seal is only on the driver's side and it's to keep snow and water out of the air intake. The '12s and up also have a Styrofoam piece that stuck on there that runs from the right corner or the air intake to the seal. The '11s do not have that.

· Registered
183 Posts
I had the same question about a week ago. Seems to come up all the time. This has been the 3rd post in 2 weeks about this issue. I wonder how many times the service dept. has been asked that question. Seems they should just put it on, so it looks right, and stop us all from wondering WTF.

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,661 Posts
I had the same question about a week ago. Seems to come up all the time. This has been the 3rd post in 2 weeks about this issue. I wonder how many times the service dept. has been asked that question. Seems they should just put it on, so it looks right, and stop us all from wondering WTF.
I think its a small % of people that ask about it. My guess is that most folks never open the hood. :)

· Registered
Laredo X
38 Posts
We got our 2014 GC on Saturday. Sunday morning back to the dealer asking if I am missing something. The manager didn't know if the factory forgot to put it on. My son checked on a white Limited and we figured all out that it has to look that "wrong way".
The manager thought first that I got a "refurbished" car. Because the right back passenger door has a real bad factory paint job (primer shows on the front inside and on the edges of that door.) But we checked on the Limited the same bad paint job. So we get it booked in for re-painting. And that on a brand new car!

· Premium Member
3,476 Posts

· Registered
Laredo X
38 Posts
So finally we got the answer from Jeep/ Chrysler. Hood and door are getting re-painted on warranty. If someone has a white 2014 GC, please checkout your factory paint on the doors ( specially the door edges, if the white paint covers the whole door.) We checked 3 on the dealers lot and all had this issues! Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood what looks like they mechanics in the factory (or a robot? ) scratching the paint and primer off to the blank metal! We checked 5 2014 GC doesn't matter what color and all of them have this marks under the hood.

Attachments

· Registered
2013 WK2 Laredo 3.0L Diesel 5 Spd Trans
77 Posts
:) QUOTE=Papaya205;867536]So finally we got the answer from Jeep/ Chrysler. Hood and door are getting re-painted on warranty. If someone has a white 2014 GC, please checkout your factory paint on the doors ( specially the door edges, if the white paint covers the whole door.) We checked 3 on the dealers lot and all had this issues! Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood what looks like they mechanics in the factory (or a robot? ) scratching the paint and primer off to the blank metal! We checked 5 2014 GC doesn't matter what color and all of them have this marks under the hood.[/QUOTE]

Hood issue:
"scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood
During assembly the hood is held up using two gas struts, see picture below

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
come on guys.....I can see painting the exterior door...BUT under the hood? Just have them touch it up. Sometimes less is better.

· Registered
Laredo X
38 Posts
Wow! So you guys are paying $42, 000 to $87, 000 and would be happy with a touch up? Sorry! I work to hard for my money! They like 100% of the price - I like to have a nice car. They advertising that they have high standards. Honestly? Poor craftsmanship - poor end controll! And NO pride in what they do. I talked to the service people at the dealer. They find a lot of screws, look nuts and sometimes tools in the Jeeps. So what are they doing in the end controls? But I am sure that the workers complaining if they not getting paid 100% on paiday!

· Registered
77 Posts
So finally we got the answer from Jeep/ Chrysler. Hood and door are getting re-painted on warranty. If someone has a white 2014 GC, please checkout your factory paint on the doors ( specially the door edges, if the white paint covers the whole door.) We checked 3 on the dealers lot and all had this issues! Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood what looks like they mechanics in the factory (or a robot? ) scratching the paint and primer off to the blank metal! We checked 5 2014 GC doesn't matter what color and all of them have this marks under the hood.

:)
Hood issue

"Scratch- marks" left and right inside the hood.
During assembly the hood is held up with temporary gas struts, see picture below.

· Registered
77 Posts
Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood.
During assembly two temporary gas struts are used to hold up the hood, see picture below.

· Premium Member
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
47,451 Posts
Wow! So you guys are paying $42, 000 to $87, 000 and would be happy with a touch up? Sorry! I work to hard for my money! They like 100% of the price - I like to have a nice car. They advertising that they have high standards. Honestly? Poor craftsmanship - poor end controll! And NO pride in what they do. I talked to the service people at the dealer. They find a lot of screws, look nuts and sometimes tools in the Jeeps. So what are they doing in the end controls? But I am sure that the workers complaining if they not getting paid 100% on paiday!
yes...UNDER THE HOOD of my $71K SRT I would accept a touch up. You see...I don't want some half rate dealership body shop painting on my $71k SRT and screwing up more than they fix. The paint UNDER the hood is not "show quality" anyway. Why risk more screw up from some local slack? Most people don't even look under the hood. I am probably one of the mots picky people on here...I keep my vehicles spotless, serviced etc. I could eat of the engine bay of my 14" SRT or 13' JKU 10a right now. Some of you people must live in a friggin perfect world for some of the lame ass whining Ive seen on here. /end rant
(not picking on you OP...the door paint is inexcusable...but the underhood is very VERY minor and not worth the effort)

· Registered
Laredo X
38 Posts
Hi scottina.
It has also to do with the rust warranty. I don't like that anyone is coming later and telling me, I did the scratches myself and therefore my warranty is void. And by the way. FIAT is known for there really poor rust protection and paint-jobs in Europe!

And yes! I can be a pain in the ass if something isn't right! BTW: if the paint-job isn't done right again - they have to give me a other car. That is a promise from the management!

· Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,661 Posts
Hi scottina.
It has also to do with the rust warranty. I don't like that anyone is coming later and telling me, I did the scratches myself and therefore my warranty is void. And by the way. FIAT is known for there really poor rust protection and paint-jobs in Europe!

And yes! I can be a pain in the ass if something isn't right! BTW: if the paint-job isn't done right again - they have to give me a other car. That is a promise from the management!
If the dealer does the touch up, where's the warranty issue?

---

· Registered
Laredo X
38 Posts
The warranty issue is when the customer does NOT complain about damaged paint surfaces and comes than after 3 month when the spots starting to rust. The rust warranty covers only paint related issues - not scratches from tools - or what ever they use to hold the hood before the bold it to the body. The picture what was posted earlier does not show how the hood gets bolded. It shows already the hood ready on the body. BTW: Here in Canada is no body/paint shop with the dealers like in Germany. ( I am really missing that!!) So my dealer agrees that the paint job is shit - but he is not touching it at all. It goes to a paint shop we worked already with after we got rear-ended with our Grand Vitara. They made an excellent job. And yes. The shop is a small crapy looking one - as usual in Alberta. . :-(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.