Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th Anniversary 3.6L V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so I recently got a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th anniversary edition in December and I’m absolutely loving the car. Out of curiosity I looked at the original car sticker and it shows that the car came with a “Trailer Tow Group IV” package. I also noticed it said “Full size spare tire” underneath it in the description of the package.

Anyways this brings me over to the trunk of my car. Come to find out when I look inside I find something surprising. When Jeep says “Full size spare tire” I guess they don’t include a rim looking like the other 4 already on the car? Coming from a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee I remember that it too had a “Full size spare tire” but that came with a rim matching the other 4 and a tire that was the same size too. Going back to my 2016 JGC, it doesn’t seem right at all... my wheel configuration is 265/50/R20 but the spare tire is a 245/65/R18. Now I’m not sure if it’s because I have 20” rims as opposed to the 18” rims but will this cause any major issues if I actually need to use the spare tire because of this size difference?!

Another thing that I noticed is it appears that I’m missing something that comes in the box/cubby inside the rim of the spare. If you notice in the picture there is nothing in the far left of the box when it appears that something SHOULD be there. If anyone knows what’s suppose to be there please enlighten me lol. A part number for said tool/part would also help greatly in case I do need it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
That's normal. What you see is what you get. The tire diameters are essentially the same. There's nothing missing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yup, looks just like mine and I've had it since it came off the line.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th Anniversary 3.6L V6
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I’m glad that’s normal for everyone, the design of the cubby makes it seems like something was suppose to be there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
probably just a generic foam form that is used in multiple applications and that hole is for something not used in GC's
I think my son's compass which has no spare wheel may have a pump or fix a flat in his

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,767 Posts
Appears there's a section for a tow hook, do the High Altitudes and Summits have a pop-out for a screw in tow hook?

As others have said, your spare is correct - the overall circumference is what matters. The bonus of having the 'full size' is the ability to carry normal weight, at normal speed, for long distances.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
275 Posts
Mine was empty like that too. I keep a couple of screwdrivers, the key for the locking lug nuts and the 4 lug nuts the locks replaced. Read somewhere not to use the locking nut when mounting the spare so I always have a couple of extra lug nuts for that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey everyone so I recently got a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 75th anniversary edition in December and I’m absolutely loving the car. Out of curiosity I looked at the original car sticker and it shows that the car came with a “Trailer Tow Group IV” package. I also noticed it said “Full size spare tire” underneath it in the description of the package.

Anyways this brings me over to the trunk of my car. Come to find out when I look inside I find something surprising. When Jeep says “Full size spare tire” I guess they don’t include a rim looking like the other 4 already on the car? Coming from a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee I remember that it too had a “Full size spare tire” but that came with a rim matching the other 4 and a tire that was the same size too. Going back to my 2016 JGC, it doesn’t seem right at all... my wheel configuration is 265/50/R20 but the spare tire is a 245/65/R18. Now I’m not sure if it’s because I have 20” rims as opposed to the 18” rims but will this cause any major issues if I actually need to use the spare tire because of this size difference?!

Another thing that I noticed is it appears that I’m missing something that comes in the box/cubby inside the rim of the spare. If you notice in the picture there is nothing in the far left of the box when it appears that something SHOULD be there. If anyone knows what’s suppose to be there please enlighten me lol. A part number for said tool/part would also help greatly in case I do need it. Thanks!

I think the hitch goes there.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,003 Posts
You're missing the Plastic Jack Cover, part number 68058614AB
I think I got it off ebay for $20.
Best I can tell, its not needed, it just protects the metal jack from scratching the frame, but the jack goes on parts of the frame you never see anyway.

The spare tire is usually mounted on a cheaper steel rim painted black, not one of the aluminum wheels. Both the compact spare and the full sized spare. Its been like that for a while, perhaps they did something different nearly 20 years ago. But 20 years ago, even the aluminum OEM wheels were cheap, the last 10 years the rims have become a big selling point and the OEM wheels are often premium and expensive of late.

I don't think the WK2's aluminum wheels with its tires, can fit inside the compartment and have the cover close flush.

The full sized spare means its a full sized, full load, tire, not a matching tire to the other 4. Its the same overall diameter as the other 4, which is very important with 4WD. But its slightly narrower than the other 4 tires, so the lid on the spare tire compartment can close flush. The Compact spare, which other WK2's have, is the same diameter as the other 4, but its that extremely narrow donut spare on an extremely narrow steel wheel. There is no way the compact spare can stand up to the load if you are towing or on a trail off road. While the full sized spare is slightly narrower, its a real tire and big enough to handle the loads I mentioned.

I bought my 2011 used, the only thing in the spare tire compartment was a flat compact spare covered in road salt, with the road salt all over the carpet and the jack and tire iron tossed on top of it, just floating around not bolted down, everything else was gone, even the rubber mat that is suppose to go under the spare was gone. You've got to wonder, what kind of person that has to use their spare, then tosses everything in the spare tire compartment away? Why?

From photos and the parts catalog I was able to get everything but the rubber mat, that isn't available. I can't find a WK2 in a junkyard within my state nor neighboring states. I cleaned up the compartment and replace the flat spare and all the missing parts except the rubber mat, bolted down and secured properly. In that remaining unused compartment, I got a spray can fire extinguisher that fits in there. The ones the size of and look like a spray paint can.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee
7 Posts
If I remember correctly, I special ordered a matching spare tire and wheel when I bought my 1985 Cherokee. I may have done the same with my 1995 Suburban. But the 2005 Yukon XL and the 2017 GC had whatever spare came with them.
The nonmatching spare makes it impossible to replace one or 3 running tires, put the spare on an axle with a new tire on the. other end of the axle, then use the better old tire as a spare.

·
Registered
2017 Grand Cherokee
7 Posts
thank you . . . I have been keeping my ball mount hitch in the closet . . .
I keep my 1 7/8 (boat) hitch ready to go into the receiver in the lower right corner. The travel trailer hitch lives in a forward hatch of the trailer when not in use. The chains were also there until I realized I would have to remove everything to get to them. They are now in a bag with my grab-and-go gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts