Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(Below I include links to all WK2 Moab threads here on JG, listed chronologically. Hoping to create a good starting point for us Moab WK2 people, like I did for roof racks six years ago. [WK2 Rack Systems: Manufacturers List]).

Moab! Who has been? I haven’t, not yet. I want to go.

What do you suggest / recommend for my wife and me, who are not off-road & trail experts in our stock WK2 (diesel!) riding on 32” tires, with QL stock suspension, but we’ve done a few trails and beaches and sand dunes here and there?

I do not want any trails requiring me sliding on rock sliders, or on a front approach skid plate.

Anyone interested in joining? I have a map below.

Thanks.

The rest that follows is my context, so the above is pretty much my thread starter.

<CONTEXT & INFO>

After this coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic dissipates, I may choose to cancel my September plans for Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, which include stays in iconic lodges like the Old Faithful Inn and the Yellowstone Lake Hotel. Even if the All Clear is given after the pandemic, the coronavirus will still be with us, and I’m not confident that those lodges will be thoroughly disinfected. So I may cancel YNP and GTNP.

We (wifey and me) may instead head to Moab. We can camp out (no hotels needed). This is my Plan B, instead of YNP-GTNP it’ll be DVNP-ANP-Moab-CNP-MV, which includes Death Valley, Arches, Canyonlands, and Monument Valley.

Rough maps:
Plan B >> Furnace Creek Visitor Center to 1381 Brussels St
Plan A >> 7140 N Rachel Way to 1381 Brussels St (Plan A may still happen but with COVID-19 that’s looking less and less likely)

I searched just now, and there are 23 threads in the WK2 subforum having Moab in the title. I list them here, sorted chronologically.

WK2 threads with Moab in title (some are wheels/other; they are labeled)

Thread start date — # posts to date — JG Member — link — thread title

2010-06-19 — 04 — @seansterCar and Driver Review and Moab Gallery — <ARTICLE, MOAB UT>
2010-08-02 — 04 — @jpsmithMoab wheels on a WK2? — <MOAB WHEELS>
2011-01-17 — 18 —@hemiman — Moab + Monument Valley Shots!!
2011-01-17 — 07 — @IndyBobTires for a Moab Trip
2011-03-02 — 07 — @IndyBobJeeping in Moab
2011-03-15 — 33 —@chibianh — trip to Moab (w/ video, climbing sand, & pic atop Hurrah Pass)
2011-04-09 — 05 —@BadLuck — grand canyon/moab road trip
2011-06-26 — 09 — @IndyBobBack from my Moab trip
2011-08-16 — 18 —@Willie G — Summit in Moab
2012-03-29 — 01 — @chibianhMoab Easter Jeep Safari - anyone going?
2012-04-15 — 29 —@Adanac Jeep — Moab Wheels on my WK2 - 255/75/17 - Photos — <MOAB WHEELS>
2012-05-27 — 04 —@Deep Red — Moab Wheels on 2011 GC fit? — <MOAB WHEELS>
2012-07-10 — 29 — @esports15Headed to Moab - Need input!
2012-07-25 — 08 — @esports15Moab - Gemini Bridges Trail
2012-08-26 — 02 — @Duff DaddyMoab
2013-05-21 — 31 — @BeltoWK2 going to Moab's — <MOAB WHEELS>
2013-07-27 — 29 — @esports15Moab 2013 Jeeping Pictures
2013-11-06 — 03 — @onlyinaMoab / Rubicon Wheels Installed on the WK — <MOAB WHEELS>
2014-02-28 — 27 — @esports15Moab 2014
2014-04-10 — 11 — @abarbs30New Jeep Concepts from Moab — <JEEP CONCEPT>
2016-07-23 — 06 — @seanmp3Moab Off Road Trails

</CONTEXT & INFO>

Clearly, @esports15 is the most prolific Moab author here. @IndyBob too. Think I’ll send over a DM.

Thanks again.

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I removed (and sold off) my A/T tires, and replaced them with a pretty strong light truck tire with street treads. That’s what I plan to run on in Moab (only if dry).

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,081 Posts
Great idea making this thread. I'm 100% in favor of joining you when the day comes. I just hope things work out and it happens.

Sorry the links didn't with. Do a Facebook search for Colorado TrailHawk Owners - Utah Trailhawk Community - UTAH GRAND CHEROKEE OFF ROAD CLUB

There are 2 Utah Trailhawk groups I belong to. You might get some ideas from their Facebook pages. sorry the links didn't work.

And one from from Colorado

·
Registered
18 WK2 Trailhawk
521 Posts

I'd strongly recommend picking this book up, Its a really great guide. Also many of the Jeep Rental companies and Dan Mick Moab Jeep Tours – Moab Jeep Tours Offer follow along tours I believe.

There are quite a few trails that are on the mild side but still awesome. I used the guide book to help me navigate around Moab when I moved to Utah from New Jersey.....long before I really knew anyone locally.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Also, I removed (and sold off) my A/T tires, and replaced them with a pretty strong light truck tire with street treads. That’s what I plan to run on in Moab (only if dry).
I would have kept the All-Terrain tires for a trip to Moab. There are plenty of trails you can do but with street tires you have narrow it down a lot. Looks at trails rated 2 maybe a 3, but experience, weather and trail conditions all matter & will play a factor. Start with a 2 rated trail see how you do. The books suggested are good. I highly recommend an app called All Trails, has tons off road & hiking trails with ratings & reviews.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Moab sounds like a lot of fun. I would really enjoy that. I know that my wife would love it also. Maybe we will all be able to lay an eyeball on each other and enjoy a cup of coffee together.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,081 Posts
Moab sounds like a lot of fun. I would really enjoy that. I know that my wife would love it also. Maybe we will all be able to lay an eyeball on each other and enjoy a cup of coffee together.
I'm hoping it will work out for all of us.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I'm hoping it will work out for all of us.
Do they sell coffee in Utah? I haven't been there since before I went to work for the US Navy as a civilian employee in 1989.LOL

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have kept the All-Terrain tires for a trip to Moab. There are plenty of trails you can do but with street tires you have narrow it down a lot. Looks at trails rated 2 maybe a 3, but experience, weather and trail conditions all matter & will play a factor. Start with a 2 rated trail see how you do. The books suggested are good. I highly recommend an app called All Trails, has tons off road & hiking trails with ratings & reviews.
In my experience, a street tread isn’t a big disadvantage on the trails I like to do. I did a fair amount of trails on the OEM stock street tires — 265/50-20 Goodyear Fortera HLs. Even those are low profile, but the JGC handled obstacles and steep trails on them very well, and also sand dunes aired down to 15.

Since that set I ran a set of 275/55-20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, a 32” tire with a taller sidewall than stock, and that’s a very good tire. After 50,000 miles I went down to 18s and mounted a set of 255/70-18 BFG KO2s, also a 32” tire with even taller sidewalls. Both the Duratracs and the KO2s were great on the trail, they both are great tires, and I prefer the 18s with taller sidewall for airing down.

I currently have 90,000 miles on my JGC. Of those miles, maybe 500 or at most 1,000 miles are off road. More than 95% of my miles are on street, and the JGC is a great long-distance highway cruiser. So I’ll go street tires and as long as Moab is dry I should be fine on the trails.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Slickrock.... you'd be surprised how much traction stuff out there has. I did the whole hells revenge and fins n things on my stock TH without even airing down my half worn-down original tires. The only thing I didn't do was hells gate because there's a gnar 5-6ft step-down and I didn't feel like slip-n-sliding on my rock rails and chassis : ) there's some videos on jewtube. Only did about an hour into Kane Creek. Honestly this was easier, but more fun with the sand and water crossings. It was mostly a dirt biking camping trip so I actually towed a 3 bike trailer from CA! Enjoy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been to Moab 3 times. I park my Grand Cherokee and rent a wrangler. I'm not into scratches, dents, etc so It's cheaper to rent a Jeep specifically designed for Moab trails. It's a lot more fun when I'm not worried about damage to my Grand Cherokee. I do fully understand the need to test out your own Jeep to see what it can do. I do take my Jeep on easy off road trails. I'm more interested in scenery than climbing obstacles.
You will love Moab, it's the Jeep capitol of the world. The beauty of Utah is beyond amazing. If you make it to Canyonlands check out the Schaefer Trail. It's on the left just a hundred yards or so past the entrance. It's 100 miles long and a spectacular drive. Have fun be safe

·
2016 JGC CRD
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've been to Moab 3 times. I park my Grand Cherokee and rent a wrangler. I'm not into scratches, dents, etc so It's cheaper to rent a Jeep specifically designed for Moab trails. It's a lot more fun when I'm not worried about damage to my Grand Cherokee. I do fully understand the need to test out your own Jeep to see what it can do. I do take my Jeep on easy off road trails. I'm more interested in scenery than climbing obstacles.
You will love Moab, it's the Jeep capitol of the world. The beauty of Utah is beyond amazing. If you make it to Canyonlands check out the Schaefer Trail. It's on the left just a hundred yards or so past the entrance. It's 100 miles long and a spectacular drive. Have fun be safe
Good points and good suggestion — thanks. I, too, am not interested in scratching or denting, or worse to my daily driver. I’ve been on muddy hilly trails and it’s not a good feeling when my JGC is slip-sliding away and I have no or limited control. That feeling sucks. I’ll look into a rental, or take my JGC on an interesting and scenic but modest trail. Thanks again.

Yes, Canyonlands is in the plan, including Shafer Trail and Thelma & Louise Point. Also in the plan are other places like Arches, Moki Dugway, Goosenecks, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, and The Wave Vermilion Cliffs. It should be a good road trip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts