Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at my local dealer getting some service done to my 06 srt8 jeep and I noticed they now use Pennzoil and not Mobil. You can request the Mobil oil if you wish. But I was curious if there are any benefits or disadvantages of using either. I know my manual suggests Mobil, and correct me if I'm wrong but the newer wk2 srt's suggest Pennzoil.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee SRT8
91 Posts
So I was at my local dealer getting some service done to my 06 srt8 jeep and I noticed they now use Pennzoil and not Mobil. You can request the Mobil oil if you wish. But I was curious if there are any benefits or disadvantages of using either. I know my manual suggests Mobil, and correct me if I'm wrong but the newer wk2 srt's suggest Pennzoil.
Synthetic oils is all ready hard to come by. There are certain tires, oil, brakes pads and ect u need to use for the SRT. My wk2 doesn't have specific brand to use it just say use 5w-40. If remember correctly I was using 0w-40 which Mobil only made at that time. I always stick to the instructions to try prevent maintenance failures.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I here Ya with sticking to the manual. I thought I read somewhere that the Pennzoil synthetic had some new added benefits that the Mobil 1 did not have.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
233 Posts
In the 2014 SRT Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 syn. Is what was factory recommended .....

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
811 Posts
It doesn't really matter on the brand. Chrysler and Mobil's contract fell apart when Chrysler filed for bankruptcy. The 6.1 can use 0w-40, 5,w40, and even 15w-50 if the customer complains about lifter noise in the summer months. You can also use almost any weight in-between. I've run 10w-30, 20w-50, and a couple others without any issues.
The 6.4 on the other hand needs 0w-40 or 5w-40 only because of the VVT setup.
While on the subject, the 5.7 needs to stick with 5w-20 for the VVT reason as well.
As far as brand, any good synthetic will do. Don't forget to use a good filter as well..Mopar, K&N, and Mobil1 just to name a few.

Reactions: M_dub50

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't really matter on the brand. Chrysler and Mobil's contract fell apart when Chrysler filed for bankruptcy. The 6.1 can use 0w-40, 5,w40, and even 15w-50 if the customer complains about lifter noise in the summer months. You can also use almost any weight in-between. I've run 10w-30, 20w-50, and a couple others without any issues.
The 6.4 on the other hand needs 0w-40 or 5w-40 only because of the VVT setup.
While on the subject, the 5.7 needs to stick with 5w-20 for the VVT reason as well.
As far as brand, any good synthetic will do. Don't forget to use a good filter as well..Mopar, K&N, and Mobil1 just to name a few.

Thanks for the info. I may try the 15w-50 next oil change. I believe I may have that noise going on. I'm just at 100k miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts