Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this trip in their Grand Cherokee? If so what about the infamous water crossing? Did you chance it? I've got a trip planned in Feb and was looking for some tips and or warnings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't done it in my GC yet, but I did it last year in my Wrangler. The trail itself is easy and a GC would have no problem doing it. The water crossing at Afton Canyon is a different story. The depth of the water crossing does change depending on how much rain the area has received and last year it was deep. I run 35" tires and a 3.5" lift on my Wrangler and the water level was at the top of my tires. I don't think I would chance it in a stock GC, but maybe with a lift and 32" or greater tires. It really depends on how deep the water is.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't done it in my GC yet, but I did it last year in my Wrangler. The trail itself is easy and a GC would have no problem doing it. The water crossing at Afton Canyon is a different story. The depth of the water crossing does change depending on how much rain the area has received and last year it was deep. I run 35" tires and a 3.5" lift on my Wrangler and the water level was at the top of my tires. I don't think I would chance it in a stock GC, but maybe with a lift and 32" or greater tires. It really depends on how deep the water is.
My tires are 31" and I have the quadra lift suspension, in OR2 it looks like about 3" over standard ride height. It will probably be a last minute decision based on the water level.
Does anyone know what the max water fording depth is on a 14 JGC? I've searched that question but haven't found an answer.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I did a lot of it a couple years ago. No problems in 2015 GC Overland, I have Quadralift & 32's

·
Premium Member
Grand Cherokee
842 Posts
It's in the manual someplace if I recall it was around 19"

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
56 Posts
Did you do the water crossing?
There's been forum members that have done the crossing in stock GCs. I would say doing the crossing in August is different than doing it in Feburary though. I believe it is possible year round, but the difficulty depends on the season. Are you thinking of going soon? I am in LA and wouldn't mind joining a trip at some point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's been forum members that have done the crossing in stock GCs. I would say doing the crossing in August is different than doing it in Feburary though. I believe it is possible year round, but the difficulty depends on the season. Are you thinking of going soon? I am in LA and wouldn't mind joining a trip at some point.
We're going in Feb so it probably will be deeper than summer months, but at least it won't be 110 degrees.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,162 Posts
If you'd like company I'd like to join you. Maybe others would also? I have a 2019 GC Trailhawk.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you'd like company I'd like to join you. Maybe others would also? I have a 2019 GC Trailhawk.
I'm tagging along with a couple Toyota guys, I can't extend invitations on this one. I would however be up for a trip organized through this forum, where ever that may be..

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,162 Posts
I'm tagging along with a couple Toyota guys, I can't extend invitations on this one. I would however be up for a trip organized through this forum, where ever that may be..
I'd enjoy having you and others join me on runs. I usually post the runs I'm going on at the links below and photos from the runs also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd enjoy having you and others join me on runs. I usually post the runs I'm going on at the links below and photos from the runs also.

I'm looking to get out between now and New Year somewhere local. I tried Maple Springs road a couple weeks ago and it was closed. I've got a lot of time off before the new year and would like to hit some trails.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,162 Posts
On Nov 13th (exactly one month ago) Maple Springs road was open all the way to the top. Open the link below to see the pictures I took that day. Other than Maple Springs Road, at this time, there's not much open in Orange County. On December 18th we're going on a snow run (weather permitting). Maybe this run interests you?
0000 Starbucks 7611 Beach Bl, Buena Park, CA @ 0600. Leave 0630 sharp..png

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On Nov 13th (exactly one month ago) Maple Springs road was open all the way to the top. Open the link below to see the pictures I took that day. Other than Maple Springs Road, at this time, there's not much open in Orange County. On December 18th we're going on a snow run (weather permitting). Maybe this run interests you? View attachment 220933

It figures the only three days I have to work for the rest of the month is the 17, 18 and 19th.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,162 Posts
It figures the only three days I have to work for the rest of the month is the 17, 18 and 19th.
On Saturday Jan 11th I'm going to run Pilot Rock with a group I'm thinking about joining. To go on that run, if that day works for you, you have to attend their meeting on Jan 8th. If you're interested you can read about them at the link below. https://www.facebook.com/OC4Play. I belong to several Overlanding Facebook groups. One that have have gone on runs with, and I recommend, is at this site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/398787600582614/?notif_id=1560627567196591&notif_t=group_r2j_approved.

Reactions: echo7tango

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did the entire trail in March of 17 without issue. I watched a few Wranglers do it first. My Overland has Quadralift and 32" tires. I have some drone footage of the crossing and have shared it on Google drive. Enjoy.

video.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hNFpWdXTxTUjJ-xfJX36PvmtPr3-_qmM/view?usp=sharing

The only other challenging area is dropping into Watson Wash. The GC handled it easily. I had a good spotter though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did the water crossing in May of 2018. QL with 32" tires. Only issue I had was the loss of use of one the horns (low tone). A couple of things that have been recommended by many is to let the vehicle cool down before a deep water crossing. From what I've heard the hot axle/diff housing being rapidly cooled in cold water will cause water to be sucked in past the axle seals. And then to check your diff fluid afterward to make sure no water had gotten in. I elected to just change mine as it's easy enough to do.

http://instagr.am/p/Brkn7hejkn4/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts