Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short (and a long shot), I did a bad.

Destroyed a castle nut on the tie rod end (drag link) trying to get it off (rusty part of the world)

Was wondering if anyone is familiar with the threading on the Moogs. Lowes didn't have anything big enough, and I'm not sure I trust the multipack from Autozone to be the answer (no particular rush as the starter is dead and my usual help is M.I.A. 馃槶)

Registered
First you need to determine if its SAE or metric, never can tell these days.
Then the tread pitch, diameter and grade. If unsure of the grade get a grade 8 nut if possible.
Be sure to match all of the above or else you'll cross thread which will ruin your day.

Your can try contacting Moog customer support but that might not work out.

To be exact you can pick up a thread pitch gauge that covers SAE, metric an Whitworth.
Something like this:

Once you know the thread pitch and dia. you can verify the replacement nut at an auto parts store.
If stll unavailable try one of those on line industrial supply stores.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First you need to determine if its SAE or metric, never can tell these days.
Then the tread pitch, diameter and grade. If unsure of the grade get a grade 8 nut if possible.
Be sure to match all of the above or else you'll cross thread which will ruin your day.

Your can try contacting Moog customer support but that might not work out.

To be exact you can pick up a thread pitch gauge that covers SAE, metric an Whitworth.
Something like this:

Once you know the thread pitch and dia. you can verify the replacement nut at an auto parts store.
If stll unavailable try one of those on line industrial supply stores.
That's sort of what I was hoping someone else already knew lol. And we're way pass making sure hardware is grade 8.8 plus.

Well I have a whole weekend. If nothing else I can just buy another tie rod end if the hardware stores keep failing me.

I'm getting me that gauge though. The toolboxes never stop expanding

Registered
That's sort of what I was hoping someone else already knew lol. And we're way pass making sure hardware is grade 8.8 plus.

Well I have a whole weekend. If nothing else I can just buy another tie rod end if the hardware stores keep failing me.

I'm getting me that gauge though. The toolboxes never stop expanding
Know what you mean about expanding tool boxes.
Can't count the times i had to go out and buy a special wrench, large socket, torx bits, etc. to get the job done.

One that comes to mind is when i had to rebuild one of my obsolete England made air rifles.
The hi pressure schraeder valve for charging the gas spring failed.
Problem was i could only find a hi pressure aircraft valve with NF SAE threads.
The air gun female thread was British BA1 so i had to buy a BA1 die to re-thread the valve threads to fit the rifle threads.
No easy task finding that BA1 dye.

Yeah i have thread pitch gauges and have used them a lot to verify unknown threads.
Like using the correct tap for threading a hole for an unknown or odd ball bolt thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts