Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
WK2 Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought one of the ebay knock off mopar cross rail roof racks on a whim to see if it would work for carrying lumber and, well...

first, the link to the rack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302217723180

With 255 sold and for only $60, I thought I'd give it a go as a temporary solution before deciding on which permanent roof rack solution to go with. Thought it would be a quick 30min install and allow me to carry some lumber I need for renovating an old Class C RV I'm working on.

When I couldnt both edges of the clips to fit in the rails, I took them completely out to see what the problem was, and you can see in the pics, they appear to be too narrow. I could only get one edge or the other edge to fit under the rail but not both at the same time.

2nd pic shows close up. Looks bent to me, but all four clips are bent the same way, must be part of the design? :)

Anyone else tried one of these knock offs and had similar issues?

Am I just a complete moron and missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,467 Posts
Look just like what I purchased off eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Roof-Top-Cross-Bar-Luggage-Carrier-Rack-for-2011-2017-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee/372018323362?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I got mine to fit adequately after a little work, they are far from a quick and elegant solution, but they are cheap.

At least from my one attempt of mounting them that was successful after several tries, this is what I learned.

The roof rails distance between them does narrow as you move rearward. The rails are slightly different, one being slightly wider, so there is a front and rear rail (and mine were not marked, so you just have to figure it out by trial and error) the rear rail will not allow the feet to separate enough to move all the way forward, that is how you figure out it must be the rear rail.

The swoopy plastic caps on the front and rear of the factory roof rails, since they have an Arc that they sweep down, will interfer with the cross rail attachments. Basically if you push the rails to farthest limit forward and rearward, then try to tighten them down, the feet will hit plastic end caps on the factory roof rails and not be able to tighten down fully. So you have to back off the cross rails about 1.5-2" from the very ends of the factory roof rails to be able to tighten them down on the metal part of the factory roof rail completely.

You have to jiggle and play with the rail and feet to get them to all sit properly, you just start tightening, they will be off angle and have gaps between them. Its just something you have to play with to get the feet and cross rail at the right angles as you tighten them down.

The feet to factory roof rail interface and that appears to be the part you're having the problem with. You have to back off the metal clip quite a bit, to have the room to fit the lower metal part of the feet into the factory roof rail and get the plastic feet over top the rail, once the metal lower clip is in the slots on both sides of the rail, the upper plastic foot part is over the rail with its two cutouts, you can tighten them down pulling the metal clip up against the slots and the plastic feet down over the ridges on the factory roof rails. So the two working together form the clamp, the metal clip on the bottom pulling up against the slots in the factory roof rail and the plastic feet of the cross rails on top pushing into the slots of the factory roof rail. The two working together clamp it and prevent one from sliding sideways and popping out.

Oh, the cross rails create a bit of noise, I couldn't notice with the windows closed, but with my sunroof open it was a bit annoying. So I definitely won't be leaving the cross rails on, just when needed.

As well, I really can't figure out the purpose of the locks on the plastic end caps of the cross rail itself? I did figure out the lock just keeps the plastic end cap on the cross rail, but removing the rubber strip covering the access to the allen head bolts is no harder or easier with the plastic end caps on or off, nor locked or unlocked? So why do you need to remove the plastic end caps?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,985 Posts
I have similar ones that I got from Amazon. Probably from the same factory. It took two sets before I got a good set. The first ones had both crossbars twisted and fit like crap and whistled badly. Both sets snugged down to the side rails without issues though.

I've hauled bikes and my cargo basket loaded down for hundreds of miles without issues.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,467 Posts
Mine whistle, perhaps not badly, can't hear it with the windows closed, but the sunroof open, oh yea you can hear it, it would get annoying.

It looks likes from the photo, the cross rails will fit, I think the OP just hasn't figured out how they go together yet. And its not exactly intuitive.

·
Registered
WK2 Overland
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the suggestions.

The problem is that the lower metal part of the feet wont fit into the roof rail. I can fit either one side or the other but not both. you can see in the picture what I mean...

even when I took the lower metal part completely out of the plastic shell, it wont fit so that when you tighten down the plastic housing, it is only being held in place by one side of the lower metal clip.

Its kinda secure, but by no way secured the way it should be...

Im working with the seller to sort things out but suffice it to say, even with low expectations and temporary use intended, I'll be looking for a more permanent rack option sooner vs later...

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,985 Posts
I'll see if I can dis-assemble my twisted set and get some pictures of how it goes together. It may be that you have some mismatched parts. Won't be until this evening though.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,985 Posts
So after looking at my extra pieces and at your first picture you just need to life the bracket and shift it to the left and it will slide into place. Both the tension of the bolt from above and the spreading of the opposite tower hold everything in place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts