Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you are the first owner and bought the unlimited mile, lifetime warranty then I believe a law suit is in order. Chrysler needs to continue staying loyal to their customers.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
345 Posts
Then its not lifetime!
The name has no legal standing, the contract does. In the contract, their definition of "lifetime" is until the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle. At that point, they effectively consider it end of life and buy out their obligations by writing a check for the value of the vehicle.

Would you rather the name of the service contract be "Lifetime until repairs exceed vehicle value"?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The name has no legal standing, the contract does. In the contract, their definition of "lifetime" is until the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle. At that point, they effectively consider it end of life and buy out their obligations by writing a check for the value of the vehicle.

Would you rather the name of the service contract be "Lifetime until repairs exceed vehicle value"?
Are you a lawyer or a wanna be lawyer?
Not everyone is capable, can comprehend or understand contract legalize?
I agree buyers should read the contract but fast talking dealership sales people all the time take advantage of new buyers not verbally explaining what exactly 'life time' means to the 'uninitiated' not so legalize savvy before they sign the contract.
Your're right in a 180 deg. respect, the contract name should have 'legal standing' as it insinuates that the vehicle is warranted for life.

·
Registered
458 Posts
According to the contract (and my reply above) if the cost of the repair exceeds the book value of the vehicle, the owner is paid the book value and the contract is canceled. You keep the Jeep!
Is there any way to confirm this? I have a 2014 with maxcare life as well with 180k on it. Had engine basically rebuilt at 120k for free minus fluids and a few other items. Figuring at some point I’ll get to this point, sooner rather than later.
you sure they write a check and u keep the Jeep?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
345 Posts
I agree buyers should read the contract but fast talking dealership sales people all the time take advantage of new buyers not verbally explaining what exactly 'life time' means to the 'uninitiated' not so legalize savvy before they sign the contract.
Your're right in a 180 deg. respect, the contract name should have 'legal standing' as it insinuates that the vehicle is warranted for life.
No, I am not, and I don't profess to be or aspire to be. The contracts aren't legalese or deceptive. If you don't read what you sign, that's 100% on you.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 3L Overland
345 Posts
Is there any way to confirm this? I have a 2014 with maxcare life as well with 180k on it. Had engine basically rebuilt at 120k for free minus fluids and a few other items. Figuring at some point I’ll get to this point, sooner rather than later.
you sure they write a check and u keep the Jeep?
They do, from a sample contract here:
The maximum benefit amount should a covered component of the Vehicle fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF THE
REPAIRS PER VISIT LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR THE CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE, WHICHEVER IS LESS! The cash value
of the Vehicle will be determined at the time of the covered repair and will be the average retail value as listed in the current NADA
Used Car Pricing Guide. If at any time the repair costs for covered component(s) exceed the Vehicle’s cash value, your final Plan
benefit will be our payment of the Vehicle’s cash value rather than the repair costs. Plan coverage and benefits will terminate
automatically and immediately pursuant to this provision and we will have no further obligations of any kind in respect to the
terminated Plan.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
36 Posts
There are quite literally thousands of things out there that have a "lifetime" warranty, but many of them cover manufacturing defects and things like that, and they rarely cover normal wear and tear of something while being used under normal operating conditions. With that said, the terms and conditions are very clear and they are not hidden deep into the contract. The terms were explained to me clearly by my salesperson, as it appears they were to the other people in this thread. These has nothing to do with legalese (I assume that is what you meant when you typed 'legalize'), and has everything to do with due-diligence on the part of the buyer, which includes reading anything you are signing wholly and fully.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Looks like i poked a hornet's nest. :)

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited 4x4
44 Posts
Yes, NC and FL are the two states that you can transfer it. However, there is no discount off the purchase price of MaxCare in those states, either.
I live in NC, bought my 2018 JGC there.
I get one transfer and it was discounted.
The MaxCare price is negotiated with the dealer or bought online - there is no stipulation in NC that it can't be discounted.
The stipulation is that it can only be transferred once - I don't recall if that person has to be a NC resident though.

·
Registered
2016 WK2 Laredo
36 Posts
Looks like i poked a hornet's nest. :)
Not necessarily. I understand that there are a great number of shady/dishonest salespeople out there who care nothing about the customer whatsoever, but we unfortunately live in a world where that should be assumed when you go into any situation like this, be it purchasing a large home appliance or a motor vehicle, and going into it with that mindset is the safest thing a consumer/prospective buyer can do. I definitely appreciate your opinion and insights, but taken that extra time to read over every line and question anything that doesn't make sense should be done without fail. If the salesperson is honest and a decent person, he/she will have no problem taking the time to explain it and make sure it is actually understood. If anyone ever gets any feeling other than that, don't feel trapped; just get up and thank them for their time and walk out.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They do, from a sample contract here:
Thank you. I don’t see it anywhere that it states then you get to keep the vehicle. I’m mostly concerned with that part. The last time I brought the Jeep in for a repair they told me it’s getting harder for them to get the ok on repairs covered. That’s fine to me as I’ve always known that if they deem the repair to exceed the value, but I fully anticipate a major problem when I explain to them “ok write me a check for the kbb and I’ll take my car and be on my way” lol

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Doesn't say they take title to the vehicle, so I don't see any way they could keep it.

·
Registered
2012 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you. I don’t see it anywhere that it states then you get to keep the vehicle. I’m mostly concerned with that part. The last time I brought the Jeep in for a repair they told me it’s getting harder for them to get the ok on repairs covered. That’s fine to me as I’ve always known that if they deem the repair to exceed the value, but I fully anticipate a major problem when I explain to them “ok write me a check for the kbb and I’ll take my car and be on my way” lol
That Is what I was also told that they are scrutinizing every claim that comes to the warranty company that has a lifetime unlimited mile warranty.
Like I mentioned in my first post, apparently FCA got in over their head with the lifetime warranties and they probably figure if they lose 1000 customers they really don’t care because Jeep has became a household name and they can care less about people like me that have been a dedicated jeep owner. As sad as it is they don’t care.
I have sent numerous emails regarding my claim and called several times with absolutely no reply.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
629 Posts
So has anyone had issues with this on a MaxCare plan that's NOT lifetime?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts