Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im doing a tune up for my GC 3.6, replaced the bad coil already, my main battery, idle pulley(installed gates) and the last part at least now is the belt tensioner which seems to show some wear now.

I see Mopar is $56 and Gates $107/ACDelco $109 at rock auto... any difference?. it worth to spend more money on Gates?.

Thanks!.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I replaced the tensioner pulley, idler pulley and new belt.. The tensioner itself seemed ok at 150k km...

Aftermarket should be fine,
Its a simple part..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey guys, im doing a tune up for my GC 3.6, replaced the bad coil already, my main battery, idle pulley(installed gates) and the last part at least now is the belt tensioner which seems to show some wear now.

I see Mopar is $56 and Gates $107/ACDelco $109 at rock auto... any difference?. it worth to spend more money on Gates?.

Thanks!.
I’d go with the Mopar because it original and the cheapest. I would have thought Gates would've been the cheapest. And they probably make the Mopar one along with the belts.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
3,130 Posts
Have you looked close, aftermarket often offers kits with everything (idler pullies, belt, etc) if you're pricing a kit, that might explain why the aftermarket is more expensive than OEM. Gates typically is cheaper than OEM, for the same part......

There are also a lot of "Improved" aftermarket parts for Tensioners, that upgrades the tensioning system, that is more reliable and quiter than the OEM.... ....I'm not aware of any for the WK2, but earlier FCA/Chrysler products did have them offered and they cost more than the OEM original none-upgraded part......

Finally, two reasons why the Mopar is cheaper, if its truly a one per one price comparison....
*The Mopar part is overstocked and they are clearing them out....
*The Mopar OEM part is actually lower quality than the aftermarket, it does happen, although in most cases the OEM will be higher quality than aftermarket, but every once in a while the manufacturer cuts a corner or the aftermarket tries to solve a common problem by offering a much higher quality part......

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
The last Gates tensioner I bought (for my '07 5.7L) clearly had the pentastar and mopar part number ground off the casting.. so I'm guessing that, at the time, Gates was making them for Chrysler.

Looking over at rockauto, the prices for the 3.6 tensioner are all over the map...

From the pictures at rockauto, the gates and the mopar 3.6 tensioner clearly use the same casting, the gates having the pentastar ground off

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks!.
Could be the Mopar unit is just a pulley, not the complete unit?
Check Amazon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts