Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new roof rack and I seem to be getting a whistle above 45 mph that’s fairly high pitched. I’ve tried adjusting the spacing and flipping around with no luck. Here are some shots (yes even with the bike rack off I’m getting the whistle. Any ideas, suggestions or help?!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I personally do not have them, but I haven't ridden in, heard of, or seen anyone mention bars that don't at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2018 GC HA
674 Posts
I have those racks. The only time they ever made any noise was when they had snow/ice buildup in the winter. Definitely never hear any whistle from them.

·
Registered
2017 JGC 75th
20 Posts
Try increasing the distance between the bars. The rear mount of the bike carrier should be adjustable. A little adjustment can make all the difference. I had a light bar on a Wrangler that sounded like a kazoo at 25mph.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
The "Factory" cross bars on other Chrysler/Jeep vehicles are silent at all speeds. They put a lot of testing into them, and they have markings as to how to mount and space them.

I don't think they designed "Factory" cross bars for the WK2. I haven't found any, the Mopar Accessory cross bar are just cheap aftermarket cross bars. I got a set off ebay cheap, look just like them in every way and they whistle as you approach highway speeds, like most universal bars do.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have them and they whistle. I wanted to just leave them on so I didn't have to worry about taking them off/on when I want to use them but it was just too much. Drove me nuts, and I tried every possible configuration.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I don't use them, but remember reading on another thread some time ago, that if you have the thicker edge facing forward, it reduces the noise. Try reversing them and see what happens.

·
Registered
2013 Lexus GS350
522 Posts
I purchased the OEM crossbars as well and have had issues with wind noise since day one sometimes it drives me insane other times I just turn up the radio to mask the wind noise/ whistle coming from them. Had I known this was an issue I wouldn’t have bought them. Can these be returned/ exchanges under the parts warranty? I know lexus has a 12,000 mile 12 month warranty on all their parts wondering if jeep has something similar.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looking at those, they sort of look like mine the AeroBlades, those use the thick edge first then smaller. But mine have a slight whistle, even more so when i open the roof vent, as it forces more air up, and into the bars directly. I also have the Hull a Port kayak racks on and theres more of a whistle sound. I just ignore it, dont really even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I adjusted based on some feedback and moved the blades to the front and adjusted the back a bit and now I only get some very slight noise but not until I get into highway speeds with crosswinds.

·
Registered
2018 Grand Cherokee
5 Posts
rkeane19,
What side rails do you have? I just purchased a 2018 Altitude and need to replace the plastic cosmetic side rails with real ones and I don't want the chrome ones. Yours look like flat black or dark gray.
Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2013 Lexus GS350
522 Posts
rkeane19,
What side rails do you have? I just purchased a 2018 Altitude and need to replace the plastic cosmetic side rails with real ones and I don't want the chrome ones. Yours look like flat black or dark gray.
Thanks, Tom
I know this question was not directed towards me but I also have a GC Altitude. What I did was I purchased a used set of OEM side rails off of eBay for about $120 shipped and lightly scuffed up the chrome part and painted it using spray paint that I purchased from Home Depot. I’m coming up on a year and no issues to report with fading or even flaking. You can reuse the screws off the fake side rails we get on the Altitude models. That’s what I did and it all worked just fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had purchased an OEM set for my 2011 GC and they looked exactly the same EXCEPT they had keyed locks on one end of the rails. They didn't seem to make any noise at all. Fast Forward to my 2014 GC - I bought the exact same OEM rails that you did and they whistle from about 40 mph and up. I've tried different spacing and even experimented with taping different sections to identify the source of the whistle. No luck and very annoying. Somehow I'm glad to hear it's not just me. They are now in my shed!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the dealership install these on my 19 High Altitude. The whistling is maddening above 45. Have tried multiple configurations, no luck. I had the same crossbars on my 11 JGC and zero issues. Anyone figure anything out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found the whistle is because of the gap between the rubber and rail. I took some clear silicone and sealed the gap on the front and back of both bars and it made them much quieter.

·
Registered
2013 Lexus GS350
522 Posts
I found the whistle is because of the gap between the rubber and rail. I took some clear silicone and sealed the gap on the front and back of both bars and it made them much quieter.
Thank you! I will give this a try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried the bungee cord trick before I found the problem, didn't help. If you want to test the theory before putting silicone on your rails, use some blue painters tape and tape over the gap. Then go for a drive. This is how I worked it out.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
28 Posts
The MOPAR crossbars are actually Thule Aeroblades. I had them on my '15 Limited and they were silent. This was verified when I wanted to add a bike rack and had a Thule rep looked at my crossbars for compatibility.

I moved on to Rocky Road Outfitter steel rack system on my 18' Trailhawk.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts