Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
The tape looks great and removes whistle...until you hit 55. From there it is just incredibly annoying. Back to the drawing board.

Sadly I may just need to only run these in the winter with the ski racks. Hoping that magically fixes it. If I end up finding a solution I will be sure to report it here. If you can deal with a constant whistle, kudos.

TL;DR: If you want cross bars for your Jeep Grand Cherokee, stay away from the mopar ones mentioned above. You will be better off with anything else.

·
Registered
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7L Hemi
199 Posts
The tape looks great and removes whistle...until you hit 55. From there it is just incredibly annoying. Back to the drawing board.

Sadly I may just need to only run these in the winter with the ski racks. Hoping that magically fixes it. If I end up finding a solution I will be sure to report it here. If you can deal with a constant whistle, kudos.

TL;DR: If you want cross bars for your Jeep Grand Cherokee, stay away from the mopar ones mentioned above. You will be better off with anything else.
Ugh... I was hopeful for you!

·
Registered
704 Posts
0789868A-067B-4564-B31C-96D948310566.jpeg

Check your spacing. I moved the back crossbar up a few inches and now I can’t hear a thing. No tape, no modifications.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,411 Posts
Has anyone noticed a hit on the gas mileage from having the crossbars on the vehicle?

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Renegade
1 Posts
I Have since tried the following:

1. Moved the rails to the most forward and rear position
2. Removed the Rubber piece
3. Flipped the Front rail in a different direction: A bit better but still whistles
4. Taped the edge gaps down

Nothing has worked. I am getting whistling at 25mph -- anything over 40 it extremely loud. At this point I am going to try the "wait 3 days" for it to magically fix itself. Maybe a bit of sun will seat the rubber molding, though it appears to be perfectly seated. If you have gone through this same process, please feel free to share a solution!
Check the underside of your cross bar. I have slots in mine since they are universal, and they are supposed to be filled with this rubber filler

They are approximately 1/4" wide by 1-2' long and should come with the kit, but be warned, at speeds at or above 80mph, they may come loose from the rack.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have those racks. The only time they ever made any noise was when they had snow/ice buildup in the winter. Definitely never hear any whistle from them.
I just installed these on my WK2; I’ve got a whistle at low speeds and noise continues at higher. Can. How far back/forward did you install each rail?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check the underside of your cross bar. I have slots in mine since they are universal, and they are supposed to be filled with this rubber filler View attachment 225167 View attachment 225168

They are approximately 1/4" wide by 1-2' long and should come with the kit, but be warned, at speeds at or above 80mph, they may come loose from the rack.
I see the underside gaps but no such item was provided in my kit. I actually taped over the gaps as well...still no luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quick Update here: I purchased the last element of my ski rack setup and did the install. They look fantastic, but the wind noise is still there in full force. During my initial trial run, I opened the sunroof to see if I could figure out exactly where the noise was coming from. When I did that, they turned silent. Night and day difference. The Wind deflector for the sunroof completely kills the noise when in its open position. Here is a pic of the new setup, please ignore the tape on the back left crossbar:

I am now looking at trying out a Yakima WindShield Fairing and see if that settles this once and for all. I will update with the results.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Final update, problem solved. I installed a 40 inch Yakima WindShield and the whistles are 100% gone, wind noise is normal, and the look has grown on me. Does not hinder the sunroof at all and you cannot see it from in the car as it sits just over the center support of the pano roof. I can now drive around town without equipment and not notice it is there. No crazy rumbles at highway speeds, no whistle whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed these on my WK2; I’ve got a whistle at low speeds and noise continues at higher. Can. How far back/forward did you install each rail?
I tried maybe 7 different positions and setups and it would not go away until I added the WindShield.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For those that have wind whistle, look at the antenna on jeep wranglers and any other car with a whip type antenna. They all have a spiral wire to stop the wind noise by breaking up the air flow. Anyone that used ratchet straps to hold down motorcycles knows you twist the strap 1/2 a turn to stop the noise.
My solution was to use black parachute cord wrapped diagonally to break up the air flow and no noise at any speed

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,809 Posts
Another simple trick is to put Yakima WindJammers on the crossbars. See the red writing, “Yakima”, in the first picture. They’re about $15 each. I ended up putting one on the front bar and one on the rear bar. Google Yakima WindJammers to find them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The front and rear bars are different lengths, with the front bar being longer. Once that is determined the bars need to be oriented like an airplane wing where the front of the bar is thicker (like an airplane wing).

Reactions: frank79430
41 - 60 of 60 Posts